Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Well, that didn't quite go to plan!

cozzykim

Join
Jan 17, 2018
Loc
Derbyshire UK.
I decided to go to a local beauty spot and vantage point to try to get a spectacular video, and to try a rocket dronie, as the sun was out and the wind had dropped considerably here for the first time in weeks.

I looked at some YT videos to see how to do it, and did a trial run in my front yard to make sure that everything was working, just took off and flew vertically to about 50m and did a full 360 video, couple of pics, checked that the 'Home' point was being set etc.

Drove a mile to my target spot, walked up a very slippery and muddy grass slope to the top of the hill, boy it was cold up there.
The cold in the UK is NOT like the USA or Canada, as we have very high humidity here even in winter, and it cuts right through everything like a knife with high wind chill.

Anyway, I got everything set up, started the RC, connected my Nexus 5 (no SIM card as it's dedicated to the Spark), started the AC and waited until everything was connected.

I put the Spark in a nice clear area, looked around, and did an auto takeoff, all OK.
I didn't hear the 'home point recorded' message, even though I had a good GPS signal, but the Spark was staying in place even against the wind up there.
I thought that I'd risk a 'Rocket' shot, but then couldn't remember and find how to get into the 'quickshots' menu, couldn't figure it out - maybe because my teeth were chattering and ears were freezing off by now.

Instead, I decided to do a vertical takeoff to about 50m again, a nice panorama 360 video and return back down with me directly in shot underneath the Spark.

This all went well, except that I got a 'high wind speeds' warning, (still no mention of home point being set).

When I got down, I decided enough was enough and time to go home.
Walking down the steep muddy grass, I went down like a poleaxed cow on my backside, got mud all over my clean jeans, jacket and trainers, got up cursing, took two steps, and went down again.
I got back in the car and went home to look at my video...

Guess what, I forgot to hit the record button, probably because I was worried about the cold, the high wind up there, and the lack of a recorded Home point.

I still can't figure out why there was no home point recorded, anyone have any suggestions?
I wondered if it's because there was no local map available as there was no SIM in the phone?

Better planning definitely needed next time, and my gear is in the washer right now. :confused::rolleyes::D

Reactions: Sparkster
Ugh. My sympathies. I have days like that. Doesn’t matter how much you prepare the universe will go against you.
It’s nice and clear here in York, but windy and forecast is rain tomorrow and Sunday. I’m also sick of the damp!

I decided to go to a local beauty spot and vantage point to try to get a spectacular video, and to try a rocket dronie, as the sun was out and the wind had dropped considerably here for the first time in weeks.

I looked at some YT videos to see how to do it, and did a trial run in my front yard to make sure that everything was working, just took off and flew vertically to about 50m and did a full 360 video, couple of pics, checked that the 'Home' point was being set etc.

Drove a mile to my target spot, walked up a very slippery and muddy grass slope to the top of the hill, boy it was cold up there.
The cold in the UK is NOT like the USA or Canada, as we have very high humidity here even in winter, and it cuts right through everything like a knife with high wind chill.

Anyway, I got everything set up, started the RC, connected my Nexus 5 (no SIM card as it's dedicated to the Spark), started the AC and waited until everything was connected.

I put the Spark in a nice clear area, looked around, and did an auto takeoff, all OK.
I didn't hear the 'home point recorded' message, even though I had a good GPS signal, but the Spark was staying in place even against the wind up there.
I thought that I'd risk a 'Rocket' shot, but then couldn't remember and find how to get into the 'quickshots' menu, couldn't figure it out - maybe because my teeth were chattering and ears were freezing off by now.

Instead, I decided to do a vertical takeoff to about 50m again, a nice panorama 360 video and return back down with me directly in shot underneath the Spark.

This all went well, except that I got a 'high wind speeds' warning, (still no mention of home point being set).

When I got down, I decided enough was enough and time to go home.
Walking down the steep muddy grass, I went down like a poleaxed cow on my backside, got mud all over my clean jeans, jacket and trainers, got up cursing, took two steps, and went down again.
I got back in the car and went home to look at my video...

Guess what, I forgot to hit the record button, probably because I was worried about the cold, the high wind up there, and the lack of a recorded Home point.

I still can't figure out why there was no home point recorded, anyone have any suggestions?
I wondered if it's because there was no local map available as there was no SIM in the phone?

Better planning definitely needed next time, and my gear is in the washer right now. :confused::rolleyes::D
Thanks for the laugh [emoji23] But that really suck man. We all forget to hit record from time to time. Happened to me just yesterday flying my mavic....there i was thinking everything was being recorded. In future got to try to remember to hit that record button while hovering before take off.

Ha ha, that beats me.

We Brits are tough though, all you need is a bit of plywood on top of the snow for a pad, and go fly, (not really of course)

We do get snow that deep sometimes, especially where I live. I used to have a Lada Niva 4WD to go and play in the snowdrifts when I was younger.

If you are not using features specific to GO4 (like quickshots) then you might want to give Litchi a try. It has an auto record setting that can be turned on so that recording starts automatically as soon as you take off. It also has many other nice features as well. Only drawback is it is about $30CAN.

As far as winter is concerned, I love the snow. We are finally getting all the snow back we lost in our mostly warm January. As long as there is not a strong wind, I would have no problems flying my Spark in light snow.

Chris

I am British, located in China, I also have a house in the Philippines were I am going next week for a two week vacation nice and sunny lovely beaches, hoping to get some good shots and videos, still miss UK though, but not the **** weather :)

Reactions: oleras
Maybe you took off in sport mode, I could be wrong but that’s maybe why you couldn’t find quick shots.

Maybe you took off in sport mode, I could be wrong but that’s maybe why you couldn’t find quick shots.

Thanks, but no, I'm not ready for sport mode yet and I checked the controller at the time to make sure that I hadn't accidentally moved the switch.

My feeling is that this is something to do with the app restarting after an unexpected update to 4.2.2.

I'm going to make sure that auto updates are turned OFF in future, the last thing you need is for a new app version on your first flight in a new location, IMHO.

I still haven't checked whether I'm getting a home point notification, gonna do that soon as I get out of my 'jamas, (lazy day). ;)

OK, I got up off my backside and went outside to try a quick flight...

The home point is now being set and I get an audio notification.

All is well again, except that I had to use the DJI GO4 app to reconnect to my RC, it just kept sitting either solid red or blinking red, even after I pressed the AC button for one beep, still wouldn't connect. The app connect worked straight away.

I'm happy again, thanks all for the suggestions and info.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast