Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Which one to take to take for ADV flying ?

Roland

Join
Jul 30, 2019
Next friday, I'm leaving for a 3 weeks ADV motorcycle trip to Turkey. Took me a long time to choose between spark or MP1 to take with me. MP1 is in the air 20 min. Spark 10 min. Image quality of MP1 is superior. But 4K requires double memory. Usable range MP1 4 km. Spark 1200 meters.
So no discussion ?
Total weight spark with 3 batteries 1 kg. MP1 assy 2 kg.
One hour to get 3 batteries charged on the compact spark charger. MP1 , one hour for 1 MP1 battery. Spark: 10 minutes shots are more then needed. No need for adjusting focus ( weak point of MP1). In the air within a few minutes.
Strong build gimbal mechanism on spark.
If spark hits a rock, it will be bad for the rock.
Should a Mini2 be the better choice ?
Don't know. Looks to fragile for me.
So it is going to be my Spark.

Just took my spark on an international trip. I chose it for its size VS the rest of my fleet. Another plus is it does not look intimidating and is still fairly small. I find it very reliable and if I’m in an area I’m not super familiar with I’m not looking to fly all that far anyway.

Yes the flight time is short but I was traveling with family members and you can only make them wait so long while you throw the drone for a bit.

Long story short the Spark did exactly what I needed it to.

I've ridden motorcycles all my life and I've flown drones for years - what is an ADV motorcycle trip? (Must be a European term)

ADV stands for adventure . ADV motorbikes are ment to travel on bad roads, off road .
Last year I 've been to the Russian border in the north of Norway and north cape on my ADV bike ( suzuki V Strom 1000)
In Finland and Sweden, gravel roads are sometimes the only connection.
So I had my MP1 in my topcase and when I arrived back home, the gimbal was damaged by the continuous shocks . Even with the gimbal protection installed.
Spark was with me too and didn't suffer any damage . So, in my opinion a Spark is an ADV drone.

I love my Mini 2, but in the past 6 weeks, in extreme winds here in the Spring time, I flew both of them many times: my trusty, old Spark and the Mini 2. The flight time, drone range, and the photography results greatly favor the Mini 2. However, the Spark flew the 22-25 mph winds like a champ. Seriously. No struggling at all coming back home. The Mini 2 had to have an emergency landing. First time I experienced that. It landed 3/4 of a mile (about 4,000 feet) away from me. Took me 2 hours to find it. It landed in a field and was undamaged..I got super lucky. The mini 2 has always felt SO frail to me. Always has seemed that way. The Spark just seems like a "classic" car build 50 years ago. It's so solid and will last forever (practically). I'm so glad I did not sell it and I never will. I have the portable charger that the Spark docks into, along with two spare batteries. I turn in the portable charger after two weeks of sitting idle and it immediately charges the spark (discharges to 40% of max) and two spare batteries in 45 minutes. After that, ready to go in any windy condition.

Despite the 1080p "limitation" of the Spark's camera, it really has a unique quality to it. I love how the blues come out on a sunny day come out and the orange/brown's look so warm on a fall day.

So, this was my experience with Spark and Mini 2. I cannot imagine owning a Mavic Mini 1. That drone must be total junk compared to a Spark.

the Spark flew the 22-25 mph winds like a champ. Seriously. No struggling at all coming back home. The Mini 2 had to have an emergency landing. First time I experienced that. It landed 3/4 of a mile (about 4,000 feet) away from me. Took me 2 hours to find it. It landed in a field and was undamaged..I got super lucky. The mini 2 has always felt SO frail to me. Always has seemed that way. The Spark just seems like a "classic" car build 50 years ago. It's so solid and will last forever (practically). I'm so glad I did not sell it and I never will. I have the portable charger that the Spark docks into, along with two spare batteries. I turn in the portable charger after two weeks of sitting idle and it immediately charges the spark (discharges to 40% of max) and two spare batteries in 45 minutes. After that, ready to go in any windy condition.

You're right mate, the Spark is a tank.

Old classic cars, like they say, "Classic, not plastic" . . . oh, yeah, hang on . . . maybe the Spark can be "Classic and Plastic", lol.

Glad you didn't lose the Mini2.

I also have the Spark charging station, it is so handy as you say.
With 5 good batteries, I am pretty confident I can still fly mine for a good 3, 4, or more years yet.
One day it will be the batteries that let me down, I'm sure, but they seem to be going fine, 3 original flymores and a couple I picked up fairly recently before they disappeared.

Reactions: shuggins

SPark_South_Oz-​

Right on! Classic, not plastic. LOL. What do you get with your Spark's batteries these days? Mine went from 14 and 1/2 minutes of flight time brand new...to now around 10 minutes of flight time on each. That's after heavy use in the 4 years I've owned them. Surprised how they've hung on as long s they have.

I think the day will come where batteries will be super hard to find. New ones are already very expensive these days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef