Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why is the Spark even sold in CE territories?

Leskent

Join
Dec 2, 2017
as the title says WHY?? I only love my Spark because of using a "modded" app to fly in FCC mode and also using an OTG cable on my Samsung Note 3,
otherwise it is not an enjoyable experience the wifi controller intermittent disconnections and the short distance, video glitching etc,

But after almost sending it back after 3 frustrating weeks I switched to the modded app and using OTG and FCC, it is now my favourite drone, so sold my Phantom 3 adv and tbh My Mavic pro has only been out twice since modding the Spark.

So DJI why sell such an inferior drone to us poor CE users at all?, be honest with your descriptions of this little beauty, and why disable OTG on Android I know "it was never meant to be supported" But why not? it makes flying a much better experience rather than wifi, I am sure some of you do ok without OTG but looking on all the forums general consensus is WFI Sucks!!!

Love this little thing (Now)

Because it works perfectly fine for the majority of people. There might be lots of posts in here complaining, that’s because people don’t come here to say 'hey, my Spark works perfectly fine'.

I’m in the UK, and had my Spark since launch and it works as it should.

I have sympathy for anyone that has issues, but I think it’s over dramatic and an exaggeration to say DJI shouldn’t sell it in CE territories.

Reactions: Hddeuce03
Maybe I’m wrong but even with a OTG cable aren’t you still using WiFi?

No once RC connects with the spark I plug otg cable and app opens up and my phone wifi is never turned on

Because it works perfectly fine for the majority of people. There might be lots of posts in here complaining, that’s because people don’t come here to say 'hey, my Spark works perfectly fine'.

I’m in the UK, and had my Spark since launch and it works as it should.

I have sympathy for anyone that has issues, but I think it’s over dramatic and an exaggeration to say DJI shouldn’t sell it in CE territories.
I would gladly stand by your side and fly in tandem with you (as I have done with someone else) and my way would outshine in all area's

Reactions: mywalter
Maybe I’m wrong but even with a OTG cable aren’t you still using WiFi?

Yes, well the connection from the drone to the remote is still a WIFI connection. But OTG eliminates the need for a WiFi connection from the remote to the device that you are using. So basically there are two different connections—- the connection between the drone and remote control——and the connection between the remote control and your device.

True the RC and drone still talk over wifi but the cable is a lot more stable connection with the remote,if you think about it the RC has to share a wifi connection with both the drone and your phone. So eliminating one of those connections "the phone" then for me at least I have trouble free flights never had a disconnected message or poor image transmission and I have flown just over a mile in distance only turning back because my nerve gave in lol not sure how far I could have flown maybe one day I'll test it, but a mile is plenty in my opinion, I'm not doing this for distance flights just uninterrupted transmission

I would gladly stand by your side and fly in tandem with you (as I have done with someone else) and my way would outshine in all area's

I have no idea what that’s supposed to mean.

I have no idea what that’s supposed to mean.
I was stating I can prove there are constant issues with the WiFi connection and I have never had a disconnect issue just this morning been out to a remote location with another Spark flyer him using stock system and me on otg. He was cursing and panicking over and over again while I had 2 full battery glitch free flights. Was just stating my experience of issues maybe some area's or countries people get along merrily with using the WiFi but for me in central England it's a no no

I was stating I can prove there are constant issues with the WiFi connection and I have never had a disconnect issue just this morning been out to a remote location with another Spark flyer him using stock system and me on otg. He was cursing and panicking over and over again while I had 2 full battery glitch free flights. Was just stating my experience of issues maybe some area's or countries people get along merrily with using the WiFi but for me in central England it's a no no

Yeah, and my point was - there are thousands of people not posting online because they have no complaint to make about their Sparks in CE countries because don’t have any problems at all.

Im in Yorkshire, and luckily I’ve never had an issue.

So, to say the Spark shouldn’t be sold here just because a minority have problems is a bit daft.

Reactions: Hddeuce03 and JMR
I am in Canada, I also have had issues with the WiFi connection and had many disconnect problems. I am also using the "modded" app with the OTG cable
and have had great results!

Reactions: Leskent
Once on otg are you setting 2.4ghz between drone and remote?

I'm with you op.
Utterly useless in CE mode.
But when In FC mode it's a great drone. I wouldn't buy another drone from DJIs that they have allowed to be worse in Europe than the USA. They have occusync so should use that if they aren't allowed to give wifi enough power to be useful.

I'm with you op.
Utterly useless in CE mode.
But when In FC mode it's a great drone. I wouldn't buy another drone from DJIs that they have allowed to be worse in Europe than the USA. They have occusync so should use that if they aren't allowed to give wifi enough power to be useful.

Your Spark would be twice as big with occusync, and need a battery twice as big. That’s why the Mavic Air doesn’t have it.

I used otg when I first bought my Spark last year. Forgot the cable one day so flew without...no difference for me at all. I have now flown as standard for three months with no issues at all. I must admit I never fly outside los so don’t fly long distances. When I fly I enjoy watching Sparky, no fun if I can’t see it, be as well at home on the Xbox flying a flight sim.

Hi,
I am from Belgium and under CE.
Where do I find this modified app to fly under FCC?
I use android to atm to fly.
Can you provide a link to modified app so I am sure it's a good working one?
Thx.

Yeh, CE on the Spark is pretty wack. I personally won't buy a drone again with similar specs. Running the FCC modded app makes it very usable though.

Forgot my cable yesterday flew in Cromford near an old church long way way from built up area so I expect very little WiFi interference if any. Within 20 feet screen glitches loss connection black and white still on the screen you've all seen it ended up crashing into a tree falling some 20 feet luckily on to soft ground missing a stream by 2 feet. Only damage 2 props and lost nd32 filter.

That's why I said WiFi is useless I would love to have all the latest firmware and app to fly but without otg for me it's like owning a cheap Chinese quad costing 20 quid. So I am gonna stock up on spare OTG cables make sure I never have another experience like this. First ever crash by the way.

No such nonsense on my mavic pro I keep that updated because it does what it should without having to cheat the system

I agree with OP, I would not have brought the spark if I had known the range was just a few hundred meters.
It's gathering dust now, I will probably buy a mavic next year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast