Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Will the Mavic Air replace the Spark

IMHO. It's not meant to replace the Spark. The biggest complaint of the Mavic Pro from its user base was the size of the thing and cumbersome of traveling with it. The Mavic Pro was also cutting into their Phantom sales. The price point and features of the Mavic Air is targeted to Mavic Pro buyers and satisfying the size concern. I predict prices for the Spark to remain the same or come down only slightly where the price for Mavic Pro will go down and eventually phased out by DJI. Keep in mind the Mavic Air utilizing WiFi for its video transmission - we all know how that is. So Mavic Pro will still have its core followers and will still command a lower but fair price in the pre-owned market.
Agreed. They'll phase out the Mavic Pro and either drop it completely as a product line or launch a Mavic Pro 2 at a higher price point.

If I didn't already have a spark I'd probably buy it but it's not worth taking a depreciation hit to punt the spark and get the air. The only thing it has that I REALLY wanted on the spark is the 3-axis gimbal. Everything else is nice but not really required in a drone of this size/form factor. I personally am more interested in something Mavic shaped that sits between the Platinum and the Phantom. Something that's still fairly portable but simply blows the spark out the water for video quality, stability, range and flight time.

Agreed. They'll phase out the Mavic Pro and either drop it completely as a product line or launch a Mavic Pro 2 at a higher price point.

I wonder if they/partners/governments don't like the idea of the SIZE of the Mavic/Spark/Air traveling 4 miles away from the remote. Maybe they phase out the SMALL long range drones and keep that idea with the Phantom which is more visible to people.

For a $1k Fly More Package it seems steep. So much for the "oh the price will sit between the Spark & Mavic" idea everyone was throwing around.

I think Dji have cluttered there own marketplace. It wouldn't surprise me if Dji phase out both the Mavic and the spark leaving the Air as their only lower budget offering..

Wonder if they will incorporate the boomerang and asteroid feature in the new firmware update for spark? [emoji4]

Reactions: Chris Zeller
Wonder if they will incorporate the boomerang and asteroid feature in the new firmware update for spark? [emoji4]
That would make Spark owners happy to not feel left out. Perhaps our loyalty to DJI would increase.

With the controller having detachable sticks and no display, I see that this isn't aimed at me. Eventually their controller will be stickless and use touch sensitive pads, so thumbers will rejoice and pinchers like me will fade away into the sunset. This will bring in more folks who don't want to be bothered with learning flight control manually and just toss, shoot, and go about their day with minimal fuss.
I am a dinosaur, but proud of it.

Jake

Reactions: NewYorkJack
I think Dji have cluttered there own marketplace. It wouldn't surprise me if Dji phase out both the Mavic and the spark leaving the Air as their only lower budget offering..
I wouldn't be surprised. DJI has been listening and the Mavic Air seems to be the all around solution to everyone's concerns, including DJI's own self interest. (profit) Here's my breakdown.

Current Spark Owner wishlist items: extended landing gear, having folding arms in small form factor, increased flight time, 3-axis gimbal, 4K resolution, better obstacle detection including rear = All addressed by Mavic Air

Current Mavic Pro wishlist items: Smaller form factor/better portability, new flight modes including palm control. = all addressed by Mavic Air

Current DJI concerns: Mavic Pro cutting into Phantom sales, flying just as far and getting quality that's not far from Phantom's quality. = Lets just put standard Wifi on Mavic Air - problem solved.

With the controller having detachable sticks and no display, I see that this isn't aimed at me. Eventually their controller will be stickless and use touch sensitive pads, so thumbers will rejoice and pinchers like me will fade away into the sunset. This will bring in more folks who don't want to be bothered with learning flight control manually and just toss, shoot, and go about their day with minimal fuss.
I am a dinosaur, but proud of it.

Jake
Would be a huge disappointment if that was the case(removing stickless controller that is) but I can't see that happening. No matter how well they make the touch sensitive pads work or the range it gets, it doesn't replace the feel of the actual controller stick.

Would be a huge disappointment if that was the case(removing stickless controller that is) but I can't see that happening. No matter how well they make the touch sensitive pads work or the range it gets, it doesn't replace the feel of the actual controller stick.

Thats my point. Guys who have been into RC are used to traditional sticks. Nubees aren't. My DX8G2 has adjustable height sticks, the Mavic's are one size fits all ( and even though it will accommodate an iPad mini, I use a tablet holder because I pinch, not thumb - the holder lets me do that comfortably). The controller is the size of a game pad because that's become the defacto standard. And to survive and gain more market share DJI goes with the flow. I don't dis them for that, but I chalk it up to progress.
I'm a tinkerer and fly with checklists galore. DJI wants toss and shoot because no grey matter is involved.
So be it......... But my Mavic and Spark will remain home with the dinosaur. :)

Jake

Reactions: kzeitel and khoa
Thats my point. Guys who have been into RC are used to traditional sticks. Nubees aren't. My DX8G2 has adjustable height sticks, the Mavic's are one size fits all ( and even though it will accommodate an iPad mini, I use a tablet holder because I pinch, not thumb - the holder lets me do that comfortably). The controller is the size of a game pad because that's become the defacto standard. And to survive and gain more market share DJI goes with the flow. I don't dis them for that, but I chalk it up to progress.
I'm a tinkerer and fly with checklists galore. DJI wants toss and shoot because no grey matter is involved.
So be it......... But my Mavic and Spark will remain home with the dinosaur. :)

Jake
The spark remains the only one able to land in my palm.

The problem with the DJI range is the Phantom's form factor. The Mavic Pro cut into its sales because the Phantom is bulky and looks crap. I don't care if it was the most feature packed drone and could fly to space and back, I'd still not buy it. They need to ditch the Phantom and make a super-charged Mavic or keep the Phantom name but radically alter the form factor to be more like the Mavic.

The problem with the DJI range is the Phantom's form factor. The Mavic Pro cut into its sales because the Phantom is bulky and looks crap. I don't care if it was the most feature packed drone and could fly to space and back, I'd still not buy it. They need to ditch the Phantom and make a super-charged Mavic or keep the Phantom name but radically alter the form factor to be more like the Mavic.
Kinda agree about the Phantom's "form factor", but it's kinda ironic that many other companies are still using the same concept

Reactions: Chris Baish
Agree too. I ditched the Typhoon H because although it was fairly good my wife got fed up with it being such a burden on days out and holidays. I can get away with slipping the Spark into her rucksack (not a euphemism) with her camera gear... Even the Mavic Air might be too far for me as I hate having to think about where to land and take off... Palm landing makes a massive difference.

Agreed. Some terrain, such as the beach, long grass makes palm take off and landing invaluable.
Totally Agree with this and also 4k is and will never be a sell point for me as editing and uploading it sucks...on my phantom I always film 1080p anyway...
Old Sparky still my flavour
Cheers Craig

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502