Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Wind speed

davpmars

Join
Jun 11, 2018
I am excited to say that I bought my first drone today! A beautiful red Spark! I actually got it from the classifieds on this forum :).

I am still scared of flying it (when I receive it) so I ask the question, how many of you have an anemometer? And in what wind speed are you still comfortable flying your Spark?

I don't have one. Spark is good in some wind (15 mph is a comfortable limit). You will hear the props working harder, that's about the limit. If you are new to it fly in beginner mode.

I recommend UAV Forecast, an app you can install on your smartphone, in its "free" mode, it will give you about 18 hours forecast on wind, weather, relative magnetic inteference, and other things, it will also give you up to the moments wind profile at different altitudes from the ground all the way up to 1500meters. You can use the web version also, I like the app better.... its available for iOS and Android... UAV Forecast The anemometer is only going to show you ground windspeed. If you subscribe, you can get up to a weeks forecast... very cool. Also, Windfinder is a good app to check out. windfinder.com

And congrats on your new drone! Mine's red too. (if that was not obvious!)

Reactions: Hddeuce03
UAV forecast is an app available in the app store and tells you all information needed for your current flight.

An anemometer will only tell you wind speed at the ground level, not up where the Spark is.

The Go4 app will flash high wind warnings and tell you to fly with caution and keep it in sight.

Give the UAV app a try.

I agree,UAV forecast app is very reliable. When first flying I recommend flying into the wind at a comfortable height,even at 10-20 feet, then return with wind behind

I am excited to say that I bought my first drone today! A beautiful red Spark! I actually got it from the classifieds on this forum :).

I am still scared of flying it (when I receive it) so I ask the question, how many of you have an anemometer? And in what wind speed are you still comfortable flying your Spark?
I do not have that equipment however I recently was in Hawaii and I flew the drone quite often in not only heavy winds but very variable winds around waterfalls and around all sorts of windy conditions the spark is amazing and it handles wind very well I would suggest if you are going to launch in wind don't do it as a first time pilot there will be times when you need to react quickly and you don't want to be close to any objects for 1st time flyers make it easy go into a nice open area field experiment with all the different flight patterns and get used to the return to home feature is amazing have fun

Reactions: RDS

I've flown my red Spark in 20 mph winds over water numerous times... it's incredible how well it can handle it!

I've flown my red Spark in 20 mph winds over water numerous times... it's incredible how well it can handle it!

Hey Vapor, at 15-20 MPH wind, can you hear the props/motors struggling to keep itself steady? Whenever I hear the props variate their speed, I get really nervous.

I'll have to agree, the Spark is an incredible little beast. I was down at the Outer Banks Beach all last week. I took Sparky out almost every day. At first I was nervous due to the prevalent winds coming off the ocean and the bay side, so I worked up slowly to flying higher and further. By the end of the week I was flying out over the ocean getting some great cinematic footage then across the isle and over the bay.

Even in the winds with Sport mode I was able to reach steady 25 or 26mph without any dire moments.

Hey Vapor, at 15-20 MPH wind, can you hear the props/motors struggling to keep itself steady? Whenever I hear the props variate their speed, I get really nervous.

Yes, you hear them constantly compensating and adjusting for the wind, but it works great. It's a bit unnerving to watch the drone flop around all over the place, but the gimbal does and incredible job stabilizing the video. It shortens battery time a little, though.

A couple of videos in extremely windy conditions...

Reactions: dudez

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme