Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

worth buying spark 2020 or mini

I am new to this drone world, and I am hesitant to buy a spark or a mini, both in fly more combo at 499 dollars, do you think it is worth buying the spark?

Is the battery and the resolution of the camera a problem? for spark
Here's a real take of the Spark? There is no problem with the Camera it's Great, The problem is the range is junk! I lived out side of Las Vegas with no interferences The only way I could fly the spark a mile is in reverse! Then the battery life averages 11 minutes the real time was more 10 minutes. I flew the spark almost everyday for about 9 months then went into the log to see how many minuts it flew before either something went wrong or for some reason with the battery or the Spark. If I would have known what I do now I would have never got this drone. Now there are others out there that put a lot of money into the remote to put better antenna's on the remote's but over all The Spark is not worth the money for the problem's it has! There are other's out there that will tell you the spark is great and has very little issues there either a dealer or they sale the Spark some place on line to people that are just getting into the drone world. Trust no one do your home work! I'm a no buddy but I will not lie to people about what I know and I do know a lot about the Spark. With that being said buy the Mavic Mini I have both when you do buy a drone go right to DJI's site buy it there you cut the middle man out and if I remember you get 5% back that you get to use to buy other stuff with, If you buy it off other's they get to keep that money. It's not much but over time it adds up. I don't come in here much because they (Hate the truth) So far with the Mavic mini it holds it's place in the wind the camera in the wind is beyond awesome very clean and clear with the Mavic Mini I can go on and on it goes way past the spark. Dealer's are trying to push the spark to get rid of it due to all the issues with it. Stay away from it! The down side to all Drones they all brake easy When I get a new drone I push it's limit's to see what I can get it to do an YES I do crash them to see what damage happens arm's brake on all of them. Don't try to do what I'm doing. Oh the Spark dose Disconnect and fly's off every so often maybe 1 in 100. I'll get backlash for say all this but the truth is in front of you. For any other person to say other wise that the Spark is so great is a liar! PEACE OUT Thumb's up if you like or a middle finger if you don't.. TRUTH HURT'S OPPS Spelling errors?

spark is more wind resistant?
It's your opinion but boy are you so wrong! The spark maybe faster but sucks big time in the wind! If you're out flying in a 5 mile wind? Then you maybe 2% right I was up at Lake Tahoe in a high wind warning The Mavic Mini held it's own. I hope your ready for this? The Spark was all over not only would not hold it's position but blows your wind resistant out the door! Just my opinion I tell no lies about the spark? The truth hurt's But they will boot me for telling it! Keep Your eye's open on what I say. PEACE OUT! [email protected]

It's your opinion but boy are you so wrong! The spark maybe faster but sucks big time in the wind! If you're out flying in a 5 mile wind? Then you maybe 2% right I was up at Lake Tahoe in a high wind warning The Mavic Mini held it's own. I hope your ready for this? The Spark was all over not only would not hold it's position but blows your wind resistant out the door! Just my opinion I tell no lies about the spark? The truth hurt's But they will boot me for telling it! Keep Your eye's open on what I say. PEACE OUT! [email protected]
My spark is very wind resistant.

Here's a real take of the Spark? There is no problem with the Camera it's Great, The problem is the range is junk! I lived out side of Las Vegas with no interferences The only way I could fly the spark a mile is in reverse! Then the battery life averages 11 minutes the real time was more 10 minutes. I flew the spark almost everyday for about 9 months then went into the log to see how many minuts it flew before either something went wrong or for some reason with the battery or the Spark. If I would have known what I do now I would have never got this drone. Now there are others out there that put a lot of money into the remote to put better antenna's on the remote's but over all The Spark is not worth the money for the problem's it has! There are other's out there that will tell you the spark is great and has very little issues there either a dealer or they sale the Spark some place on line to people that are just getting into the drone world. Trust no one do your home work! I'm a no buddy but I will not lie to people about what I know and I do know a lot about the Spark. With that being said buy the Mavic Mini I have both when you do buy a drone go right to DJI's site buy it there you cut the middle man out and if I remember you get 5% back that you get to use to buy other stuff with, If you buy it off other's they get to keep that money. It's not much but over time it adds up. I don't come in here much because they (Hate the truth) So far with the Mavic mini it holds it's place in the wind the camera in the wind is beyond awesome very clean and clear with the Mavic Mini I can go on and on it goes way past the spark. Dealer's are trying to push the spark to get rid of it due to all the issues with it. Stay away from it! The down side to all Drones they all brake easy When I get a new drone I push it's limit's to see what I can get it to do an YES I do crash them to see what damage happens arm's brake on all of them. Don't try to do what I'm doing. Oh the Spark dose Disconnect and fly's off every so often maybe 1 in 100. I'll get backlash for say all this but the truth is in front of you. For any other person to say other wise that the Spark is so great is a liar! PEACE OUT Thumb's up if you like or a middle finger if you don't.. TRUTH HURT'S OPPS Spelling errors?
No the spark doesn't have the same range as the mini or the battery life, but with a $6 parabolic dish you slide over your antenna you can get 2.5 to just under 3 miles away and back 5.5+ miles round trip in sport mode (done it and recorded it - lots of yt posts that show it). The spark can hold its own in the wind better than the mini (had mine in 25mph steady wind with 44 mph gusts holding position and steady video). Lots of 3rd party waypoint apps - Litchi / Drone Harmony available to the Spark but not the mini from what I hear (could be coming though at some point). Pros and cons to each but to say the Spark isn't a quality drone or that folks are lying about its capabilities is very inaccurate (just see the different respected-legitimate yt reviewers) - like "Captain Drone" who still lists the Spark one of the best "used" drones you can buy.

@Chuck Halfacre it seems that you have come from the forum of mavic pilots, and since the mini is the first drone you buy you want to defend that it is the best drone in the world, sorry but your mini is not
Ok the spark is my 1st drone and the issues I found with it is not only not worth the money, But that's my opinion! 2nd I have everything you can buy for the SPARK along with 5 battery's and it still did not make it hold in the wind. The Spark is known for "Not Holding It's Position" No matter how many times you do the IMU or Compass. When I flew my spark I took my metal detector with me to make sure there was no chance there was metal around even after all that it still never held it position. Before you say I had no phone service my phone always had full bar's. Maybe your the lucky ones that got the lucky spark that worked right all the way but I Doubt it. Now if you want to get in a pis ing match not going to happen there is a member that after my computer got hacked and something got said in my behalf in stead of getting a hold of me he booted me from here. Was that fair to me no way. So I'm being watched by this unfair person. When I say something it's because I do the work and check the facts before I open my mouth! So remember the SPARK was my first drone the Mavic Mini is my 2nd by far the Mini blows the spark out of the water. "MY OPINION" No I Did not come from the Mavic Form I try not to come into any of them because of how unfair people are and the one that booted me because, He did not check His facts! PEACE OUT Again Check and recheck your fact's on the History of a drone it's in front of you.

I have had my Spark for over 2 years and it has over 360 flights on it in all kinds of weather from -23C to over 30C. It has been rock solid. It has many features that are included on the more expensive DJI models like Active Track, pano modes, HDR, AEB and manual camera settings for both photos and videos, etc. Those features alone are worth getting a Spark over a Mini.

Chris

No the spark doesn't have the same range as the mini or the battery life, but with a $6 parabolic dish you slide over your antenna you can get 2.5 to just under 3 miles away and back 5.5+ miles round trip in sport mode (done it and recorded it - lots of yt posts that show it). The spark can hold its own in the wind better than the mini (had mine in 25mph steady wind with 44 mph gusts holding position and steady video). Lots of 3rd party waypoint apps - Litchi / Drone Harmony available to the Spark but not the mini from what I hear (could be coming though at some point). Pros and cons to each but to say the Spark isn't a quality drone or that folks are lying about its capabilities is very inaccurate (just see the different respected-legitimate yt reviewers) - like "Captain Drone" who still lists the Spark one of the best "used" drones you can buy.
Ok because some of you think the spark is so great? Here is common sense if the spark on average the battery may last at most 12 to 13 minutes "MAX" inless your a "DJI DEALER" and know some trick's to make the battery to last longer but I doubt you can make it last any longer then what I'm saying! The fact is on your screen on the DJI spark app. Now to move on? If I could fly the spark one Mile one way it used about half the battery this is with no wind! So coming back would use the other half and barely make it back most time's Ok ( time's out of 10 it landed feet away from me. So for anyone to say they got a spark 5.5+ inless you put a bigger battery in it your 5.5+ is not only a lie but your some kind of a DJI dealer. or your making some kind of money from the spark rather doing electronical tech or something. As I said to get into a pis ing match will only get me kicked out of here for 1 I speak the truth and that is "Frowned Upon" in here. A nickel is still a nickel no matter how you look at it! There are some out there that will argue that nickel is really a Quarter and that's what is going on! PEACE OUT AND calm down. The truth Really hurt's how sad how money make people!

Ok because some of you think the spark is so great? Here is common sense if the spark on average the battery may last at most 12 to 13 minutes "MAX" inless your a "DJI DEALER" and know some trick's to make the battery to last longer but I doubt you can make it last any longer then what I'm saying! The fact is on your screen on the DJI spark app. Now to move on? If I could fly the spark one Mile one way it used about half the battery this is with no wind! So coming back would use the other half and barely make it back most time's Ok ( time's out of 10 it landed feet away from me. So for anyone to say they got a spark 5.5+ inless you put a bigger battery in it your 5.5+ is not only a lie but your some kind of a DJI dealer. or your making some kind of money from the spark rather doing electronical tech or something. As I said to get into a pis ing match will only get me kicked out of here for 1 I speak the truth and that is "Frowned Upon" in here. A nickel is still a nickel no matter how you look at it! There are some out there that will argue that nickel is really a Quarter and that's what is going on! PEACE OUT AND calm down. The truth Really hurt's how sad how money make people!
You are entitled to your opinion and that’s fine, but I’m entitled to mine and I disagree with you on most of the points you make except battery life. I wish the battery life was longer or DJI made a high capacity battery for it. The Spark is not for everyone and if that’s you, then that’s fine. If you think the Mini is more suitable for you, then sell your Spark and enjoy your Mini.

The original question was if the Spark was worth it in 2020, and in my opinion it is. If the Mini meets all your needs, that’s great - no need to discourage people from considering a Spark.

Chris

Reactions: Chrisfergusson
@ @Chrislaf Thanks for your opinion. does the spark really have a hard time staying in the same place even if compass calipers?
Not in my experience. I have 2 drones - the Spark and a Phantom 3 Standard (P3S). The Spark with its dual GPS (GPS + GLONAS) and VPS has a rock solid hover. My P3S only has GPS and no VPS and it’s hover is much less stable than the Spark. The MM has the same as the Spark so its hover should be just as stable.

Chris

You are entitled to your opinion and that’s fine, but I’m entitled to mine and I disagree with you on most of the points you make except battery life. I wish the battery life was longer or DJI made a high capacity battery for it. The Spark is not for everyone and if that’s you, then that’s fine. If you think the Mini is more suitable for you, then sell your Spark and enjoy your Mini.

The original question was if the Spark was worth it in 2020, and in my opinion it is. If the Mini meets all your needs, that’s great - no need to discourage people from considering a Spark.

Chris
(Agree to Disagree) I still fly the spark just not as much as I use to in Las Vegas or out side Las Vegas where I use to live? I choose to use the Mavic Mini for lot's of reason's they both brake very easy or fly a way for no reason the spark not the Mavic Mini. But the spark is a love hate drone it dose have a lot of issues and I found a lot of them. I've had the spark for I think a little over two year's before I just got the Mavic Mini some time in mid December 2019 and as I said it's a (Agree to Disagree) or my opinion. So as I said People are trying to get rid of the spark and those are friend's of DJI dealer Electronic technicians or in other words any one making money form the spark it don't mater if you change an antennas on the remote or extending the antenna on the drone so you don't have to fly it back words. Oh I forgot the most important part people that get free drones an make a living off those videos will also stick up for the drone's that are junk! Did I cover enough of the truth or are you a person that thinks a nickel is a Quarter? Your DISAGREE don't bother me I have the proof on what I say but I see you're holding the Quarter! Last post to you.. WOW THE TRUTH REALLY DOSE HURT.In you pocket "PEACE OUT" Oh P.S. This is a main reason a lot of people stopped coming in here.

@Chuck Halfacre In fact, I have not read any of his messages, I only see many text messages that I imagine are meaningless. If you make a video comparing both drones, you may want to watch it. goodbye

(Agree to Disagree) I still fly the spark just not as much as I use to in Las Vegas or out side Las Vegas where I use to live? I choose to use the Mavic Mini for lot's of reason's they both brake very easy or fly a way for no reason the spark not the Mavic Mini. But the spark is a love hate drone it dose have a lot of issues and I found a lot of them. I've had the spark for I think a little over two year's before I just got the Mavic Mini some time in mid December 2019 and as I said it's a (Agree to Disagree) or my opinion. So as I said People are trying to get rid of the spark and those are friend's of DJI dealer Electronic technicians or in other words any one making money form the spark it don't mater if you change an antennas on the remote or extending the antenna on the drone so you don't have to fly it back words. Oh I forgot the most important part people that get free drones an make a living off those videos will also stick up for the drone's that are junk! Did I cover enough of the truth or are you a person that thinks a nickel is a Quarter? Your DISAGREE don't bother me I have the proof on what I say but I see you're holding the Quarter! Last post to you.. WOW THE TRUTH REALLY DOSE HURT.In you pocket "PEACE OUT" Oh P.S. This is a main reason a lot of people stopped coming in here.
Haha - you obviously have no idea what your talking about. I currently fly an Autel EVO as I too wanted longer battery life, better camera, and no flight restrictions that DJI constantly has. Not a DJI fanboy, but fully appreciated the quality entry level drone the Spark was (as is the mavic-mini). I'm not gonna argue with you if it's possible to make the 5.5 mi rt flight I've done many times in the past and have yt screen recording documented. Which the recording shows I had 76% battery remaining at 1 mile - 60% at 2 miles averaging anywhere from 37 to high 40's % power (in 7 mph headwind) in sport mode. Yes everything is stock (remote, antennas, spark battery and no overcharging - only add on is a passive $6 parabolic range extender on the antennas) - if your are as experienced as you claim you would know its very doable, although not advised for many obvious reasons. I'm not a drone reviewer, or provided anything from the manufacturers and don't make a dime from anything I do or record with the drone. Just pointing out that you really don't know what you're talking about on this topic.

Last edited:
Spark has waaaay more features, a lot more veratile and built like a tank. Mini has a longer battery, 3 axis gimbal and at the beginning of DJIs support cycle.

With the Fly More I’ve never had to stop flying my Spark because I was out of gas. I have both and enjoy them both but don’t buy into the notion that the Mini is more portable. It’s not. Either way your packing a case (because you MUST use an RC to fly the Mini). There is a Hermit Shell case for the spark to hold your AC and extra batteries that makes the Spark more portable than the Mini if you’re not planning on flying far away and up high missions and will fly with your phone or Gesture Control (lite a trip to the park, a golf course, the beach with friends, site seeing, etc.)

In the end, it’s a matter of preference
since you have both can you tell me if the range is different cause the opinions are different...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe