Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Your experience with off brand props

Anbee Spark props. 2 full sets (4 white, 4 red) for $13.99 on Prime. Only 2 flights so far but they look, sound, mount, and seem to fly just like the stock parts. And cool colors.

S9Q9sCYh.jpg

Same as post #2. Recently received my Anbee propellers. Haven't flown much but they seem identical in appearance and performance with the original propellers. Other people have also given positive feedback on the thread I had created.

Many many threads on this topic. And many many pilots using non-OEM props.

I have yet to see a post when somebody had a performance problem or warranty issue definitively attributed other brands. That's after thousands and thousands of flight hours in all different circumstances.

There are two schools of thought:
1. Always use DJI branded props because they are theoretically superior and theoretically preserve your warranty
2. Use non-OEM props because you want color options or cost savings. There is an abundance of real experience the aren't problematic

In the end it's a moot point. The props that are "DJI branded" aren't actually made by DJI. They just give the specs to a plastics factory and periodically inspect them for quality control. They will switch factories from time to time because they use several different ones for a variety of plastic components. So the off-brand props are coming from the same factorues and just getting different packaging. DJI may have better quality control but the props are easily replicated.

Reactions: nilanjan118
Many many threads on this topic. And many many pilots using non-OEM props.

I have yet to see a post when somebody had a performance problem or warranty issue definitively attributed other brands. That's after thousands and thousands of flight hours in all different circumstances.

There are two schools of thought:
1. Always use DJI branded props because they are theoretically superior and theoretically preserve your warranty
2. Use non-OEM props because you want color options or cost savings. There is an abundance of real experience the aren't problematic

In the end it's a moot point. The props that are "DJI branded" aren't actually made by DJI. They just give the specs to a plastics factory and periodically inspect them for quality control. They will switch factories from time to time because they use several different ones for a variety of plastic components. So the off-brand props are coming from the same factorues and just getting different packaging. DJI may have better quality control but the props are easily replicated.

I'm not sure, that non OEM props are made by the same factories. If someone has a clue about it, would be useful.

Dimensions and shape are easily replicated, but not all other specifications.

Finally, there is a third school of thought:
3. Don't change propellers, if they aren't broken (i.e. after a crash).

Anyway, we all use third party accessories every day.
But as propellers are critical parts of a drone, it's fair to say, that everyone using non OEM props, takes a risk (little risk or large, it depends).

Fortunately, there is much feedback in communities, like spark pilots.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, that non OEM props are made by the same factories. If someone has a clue about it, would be useful.

DJI's drones are made from literally hundreds of tiny components. DJI is not the manufacturer for many of them. Those parts are is out-sourced to factories in the same district of China. The same components will even go to the drone of their competitors.

DJI does the research, developing, assembly, marketing, etc but they leave much of the injection molded plastics and electronics to third parties who can mass produced them to specs.

It's a cost cutting measure common to the tech industry. The props are designed by DJI but the plastics molding is a low tech affair. China is best in the world at doing it cheaply.

Note: sent from my iPhone "designed in California" but assembled in China with parts from Samsung, LG, Qualcomm, Bosch, Sony, Corning, Sharp, Broadcom, Toshiba...

DJI's drones are made from literally hundreds of tiny components. DJI is not the manufacturer for many of them. Those parts are is out-sourced to factories in the same district of China. The same components will even go to the drone of their competitors.

DJI does the research, developing, assembly, marketing, etc but they leave much of the injection molded plastics and electronics to third parties who can mass produced them to specs.

It's a cost cutting measure common to the tech industry. The props are designed by DJI but the plastics molding is a low tech affair. China is best in the world at doing it cheaply.

Note: sent from my iPhone "designed in California" but assembled in China with parts from Samsung, LG, Qualcomm, Bosch, Sony, Corning, Sharp, Broadcom, Toshiba...

You're right, most of us know the practice used to build technology goods today.

But I still don't know if Anbee props are coming from the same factory, DJI props do.

And I'm sure, that quality control of Anbee props, is inferior to Dji's.

Last year, I bought a set of Anbee props for my Tello (those for bigger drones are difficult to find in Europe).
Color was nice, but Tello was unstable during flight.
I checked all 24 of them, and discovered that Tello had different behaviour with different couples.
With Dji's props, little drone was solid rock.

Reactions: Andre Levite
You're right, most of us know the practice used to build technology goods today.

But I still don't know if Anbee props are coming from the same factory, DJI props do.

And I'm sure, that quality control of Anbee props, is inferior to Dji's.

Last year, I bought a set of Anbee props for my Tello (those for bigger drones are difficult to find in Europe).
Color was nice, but Tello was unstable during flight.
I checked all 24 of them, and discovered that Tello had different behaviour with different couples.
With Dji's props, little drone was solid rock.

So we've whittled it down to two options:

1. Use OEM props and don't worry about it
2. Use non-OEM props and accept a miniscule theoritical risk for the benefit of cost savings and color choice. And don't worry about it

I've done both. For a long time. Doesn't seem to matter much

Nice chat :D

Reactions: cxwrench
For the beautiful colours mostly, and perhaps less noise, because cost of propellers is minimal.

Of course, your experience (and other guys' too), is valuable, and can minimize risks.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Color is not a a high priority and don’t change props that often. If no crashes DJI recommends changing good looking props after 1 year of use. Based on this the price difference does not matter much.

I am flying these: US $9.99 |DJI Spark Propeller 4730 4730F Quick Release Folding Propellers for Spark Original Drone Accessories 1 Pair-in Propeller from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Exactly the same as the ones that came with my drone, 100% same packaging, everything. Much cheaper than the "original".

My question is: Are out there any low-noise props for Spark?

Despite searching high and low can only find FAKE low noise props for the Spark. Some unscrupulous merchants on eBay and Amazon are advertising regular props as "low-noise" just to spoof the search algorithm.

The Spark has been out nearly 2 years but no true low noise props. Now I doubt it will happen with DJI working on the next gen Spark instead.

So we've whittled it down to two options:

1. Use OEM props and don't worry about it
2. Use non-OEM props and accept a miniscule theoritical risk for the benefit of cost savings and color choice.
If we list down the common issues we read in this forum (in random order), it will look something like -
1. My Spark flew away/ I lost my Spark
2. My Spark dropped from the sky/ battery fell out
3. Can't get good quality photos/ videos. Most common solution: Cache video/photo? :p
4. Poor signal range
5. Calibration issues
But Spark crashed as someone was using 3rd party props? Can't remember.
There are about 10,000 threads in this forum alone and although I am relatively new here, I have never seen someone talk about crashing his drone because he was using some 3rd party propellers. Can't be a mere coincidence imho. So where's the risk? ;)

If we list down the common issues we read in this forum (in random order), it will look something like -
1. My Spark flew away/ I lost my Spark
2. My Spark dropped from the sky/ battery fell out
3. Can't get good quality photos/ videos. Most common solution: Cache video/photo? :p
4. Poor signal range
5. Calibration issues
But Spark crashed as someone was using 3rd party props? Can't remember.
There are about 10,000 threads in this forum alone and although I am relatively new here, I have never seen someone talk about crashing his drone because he was using some 3rd party propellers. Can't be a mere coincidence imho. So where's the risk? ;)

Non-OEM props and the others you listed are Zombie Topics...

They have been discussed ad nauseum until a general consensus is reached and they die a natural death. Then a new member signs up and innocently brings it back to life from the grave. And the cycle repeats. Over and over again.

The props "dilemma" is particularly egregious because there is only a grand total of two options: use them or don't. And the cost savings is a only a couple cups of coffee.

We will discuss again next week. Lol

Reactions: nilanjan118
I stopped using led-light-prop since I noticed it heating the motor at the high temperature compared to the original prop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast