Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

active tracking around a lake...

BrianP

Join
Jan 27, 2018
asking for some advice please...

I want to walk around a lake, on a sparsely tree populated path, and use a mixture of active tracking and tripod mode to take some video of the path and the lake, from each fishing spot.
Here's the lake:

aerial view.png

Could I ask for advice how to approach this project please.
Starting bottom left I would like to walk clockwise, filming from behind and slightly above me, then stopping at each of the 27 fishing pegs and film the outlook over the lake.
I have done it with a hand held camera but I would like to use the Spark this time.
I guess the advice is centred around RTH points... do I set them as I walk and create straight lines between me and the drone...

Thanks for any help.

Hey Brian,

Looking at the picture you posted your problem will be crashing into the trees. I suggest you find an open field to fly in and really practice with active track and the other modes until you have a good sense of how the Spark will behave. The last thing you want is for your Spark to be following you and have it fly sideways into a branch and crash into the water. Also, when I fly around the woods below the tree line I like to put on my prop guards. (Just in case)

Good luck and post your footage here when you're done
Cheers

Reactions: BrianP
Hey Brian,

Looking at the picture you posted your problem will be crashing into the trees. I suggest you find an open field to fly in and really practice with active track and the other modes until you have a good sense of how the Spark will behave. The last thing you want is for your Spark to be following you and have it fly sideways into a branch and crash into the water. Also, when I fly around the woods below the tree line I like to put on my prop guards. (Just in case)

Good luck and post your footage here when you're done
Cheers

Cheers!
-maybe posting the hand held vid would help understand the paths,,,
(opening shots are with a Hover Camera Passport drone)

Last edited:
Hey Brian,
I watched the video. Are you making a guide video for the lake like the video above? No offense (I hate when people say that). the problem with that video is perfect for the Spark! Start approaching the parking lot, hike around the lake in order, and shoot each Peg looking at the lake, slide left, circle around and pan down to the spot as you rise away. You can cut between Pegs shooting down from above the trees as you hike along the trail. To shoot this, you'll have to do it manual but "half the reason we got Drones" is because it's so much fun to fly them. Pick a spot with no trees to start and practice until you feel confident and like the way it loos in post.

Tell the story of this beautiful lake...

Reactions: BrianP
Hey Brian,
I watched the video. Are you making a guide video for the lake like the video above? No offense (I hate when people say that). the problem with that video is perfect for the Spark! Start approaching the parking lot, hike around the lake in order, and shoot each Peg looking at the lake, slide left, circle around and pan down to the spot as you rise away. You can cut between Pegs shooting down from above the trees as you hike along the trail. To shoot this, you'll have to do it manual but "half the reason we got Drones" is because it's so much fun to fly them. Pick a spot with no trees to start and practice until you feel confident and like the way it loos in post.

Tell the story of this beautiful lake...

hi Mrmund, the youtube vid is one of mine from last summer. (f1pitpass is my channel)
Yes I would like to create the definitive guide to this lake. (nice to have aspirations eh?)
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

on a side note... yesterday was day 3 of spark ownership, weather still cold and windy, and I got to fly the drone in a sports hall for two batteries duration. I learnt quite a bit and it was great fun finally flying with sticks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme