Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Almost had a fly away - lessons learned

Tafische

Join
Jul 6, 2018
Loc
USA - Tennessee
So I have over 20 hours logged on my Spark and have had no GPS issues until a few days ago...and have not had one in 2 hours flying since.

It was a routine flight around the neighborhood at around 400 feet about 5 minutes in. All of a sudden it went to ATTI mode. It was very confusing at first. I was looking at the screen and the dot was in front of me to the north stationary, but I could hear the UAV flying to the SW away from me. It happened quick! Once I sorta thought I understood what was happening I immediately turned the camera down to try and get my bearings to bring it home. About the time I got my bearings it went back into GPS mode and I brought him home. I have been digging around the logs, but don't see anything significant other than a loss of GPS position but will keep digging.

This event has actually caused me to improve my pre-flight planning where I add a "fly-away plan" which includes a better understanding of the wind - direction and speed. If I ever have this happen again my plan is to climb as quickly as possible (depending on wind and safety) to increase signal range. At the same time lower my camera and get my bearings. If I still can't locate it or lose the camera signal, I have to make a decision if I fly back into the wind which is quite a gamble.

My suggestions is that everyone start thinking about what you would do in this event. What other suggestions or experience do you have with this? Please share.

Reactions: Sparkster
For tilting the camera quickly, program one of the Function buttons from forward to down with a click.

The UAV forecast app is good for flight conditions in your area.

If you still have telemetry on your device and you lose visual of the Spark, pay attention to the attitude indicator (radar screen) and determine the direction of the Spark. That and if the numbers on the bottom get bigger, it's going up and away from you.

I like the idea of getting higher for a better connection rather than trying to land it immediately.

Reactions: Cbarne29
not a plan but this is my comfort zone. if i plan to fly further than im comfortable than i plan to have a second home point that i can get to and retrieve

If you still have telemetry on your device and you lose visual of the Spark, pay attention to the attitude indicator (radar screen) and determine the direction of the Spark. That and if the numbers on the bottom get bigger, it's going up and away from you.

If I remember correctly, without GPS signal there will be numbers or working radar screen. The screen is basically useless in ATTI mode and I think could be more confusing because the aircraft is not where it is shown.

I didn't think about that.

Makes since to me.

I haven't had an Atti-mode kick in other than inside or barely hovering above ground due to no Home Point being established.

I do have a cheaper non GPS drone that I sometimes fly to practice "flying with the wind".

It does help with the anxiety of a fly away.

The worst thing I can imagine is getting into ATTI mode and losing orientation (can’t tell if you are coming or going).
I have experienced this with my home built drone and you can’t tell if you are coming or going.

I always pay close attention to what direction my spark is pointing. If I suddenly have a disconnect or atti, then I know which way to fly home on manual stick.

I always pay close attention to what direction my spark is pointing. If I suddenly have a disconnect or atti, then I know which way to fly home on manual stick.

That would work great if you are pointed at or away from home but if you are not lined up doing the turn just right to go home is problematic since you have lost all reference.
This is all hypothetical for my Spark since it has been a flawless flyer (knock on wood) and even with total loss of signal it does the return to home perfectly. Not the case for my homebuilt FPV racer. It has had me so lost I had to just cut power to cut my losses.:p

A few things to regain orientation.
If you pitch right and the quad goes left then the drone is facing you. So, just pitch forward to bring it back to you.
If it you pitch right and the drone moves right then its facing away from you. Just fly it backward towards you.

Another way is this.

If you push the stick forward and it goes left then yaw left while continuing to move forward to turn it backward towards you. It will stop moving left when its facing you.

Same for if it moves right while pressing forward then yaw right to bring it back towards you.
Once it's facing you just continue to push forward.
When you lose orientation, dont panic and you will find your way back.

Last edited:
Reactions: gearhead and Seanjo
I don’t have a lot of experience flying Spark (new purchase) but I’m seeing online that connecting your device to your remote (if you have one) increases range and decreases WiFi signal loss as well loss of the link to your Spark.
Included are a couple of links. Hope this is helpful. Do I need to register Spark with the FAA?

I don’t have a lot of experience flying Spark (new purchase) but I’m seeing online that connecting your device to your remote (if you have one) increases range and decreases WiFi signal loss as well loss of the link to your Spark.
Included are a couple of links. Hope this is helpful. Do I need to register Spark with the FAA?
First link was for setup, this is the one I was attempting to send:

Just came back from a canoeing/hiking trip in Jämtland County, Sweden. Took my spark hoping to get some decent photos and videos, however for some bizarre reason the drone kept going into atti mode when reaching altitude higher than about 30ft, roughly. On one occasion the drone was flying over a lake at around 100ft ish, went into atti mode and flew off in what appeared to be sports mode! Luckily my mate chased the drone and managed to catch it whilst it was about to land itself on a huge rock. There is no record of this on the flight record! Anyway, I was reluctant to fly again in fear of losing it, but I put my fear to one side and continued to fly the drone. Each time compass error appeared on the screen and the drone switched to atti mode, but I was able to control the drone and bring it back to safety. I'm miffed as to why this kept happening and I was not able to get the shots I wanted due to the fear of losing the drone. The terrain is unforgiving so I thought this may be interfering in some bizarre way. Huge rocks everywhere and vast amounts of water. GPS signal was always high though and had 17 sats locked. This sounds similar to what you experienced so thought I'd share my experience.

Did you try a compass calibration?

I noticed mine would throw into ATTI mode frequently before I recalibrated everything, and it also had a lot of compass errors.

It wouldn’t be hard for DJI to have coded a “what’s my heading based on GPS vs my orientation a my commanded direction” loop - in fact that’s probably how they do some of their high wind conditions sensing.

After a compass and IMU recalibration it’s been solid.

I did some more research on this and it is not an uncommon thing. I actually ended up finding a ton of Yaw errors when this happened. As I understand it, that happens with the compass is saying one thing and the GPS is saying another and the computer cant reconcile. A common cause is said to be "extremely sporty" flying. A couple of suggestions I read that sound good and I will follow. Number 1 was to allow the drone to "warm up" for at least 3 minutes in the air before doing any aggressive flying. The other thing I have decided to do for now is only fly with one stick at a time. Meaning I am not going to raise altitude or direction while moving in any direction.

it is not an uncommon thing

I have seen tens upon tens of users with this issue.
I have no proof but everything I have observed suggests there was a hardware change between firmware revisions 0.0701 and 0.0800.
Nothing was reported immediately after 0.0701 was released.
It took a while to surface indicating it was not firmware related.

I have seen tens upon tens of users with this issue.
I have no proof but everything I have observed suggests there was a hardware change between firmware revisions 0.0701 and 0.0800.
Nothing was reported immediately after 0.0701 was released.
It took a while to surface indicating it was not firmware related.

I had it with the current firmware and after 200 successful flights. I have made probably 25 flights since with no issue but I am flying a little less aggressive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast