Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Any thoughts on this anyone?

...Should I look at the Channel? I’m on 5ghz perhaps I should try 2? Have had a look at some YouTube vids on this and it seems quite complicated.
From what I've read, 5.8GHz is a less crowded frequency band which might help in areas with a lot of radio frequency traffic (i.e. interference). The problem with higher frequencies is that they don't penetrate obstacles as well whereas lower frequencies do better in this regard, but are in a more crowded spectrum. You can always try 2.4GHz and see if there's an appreciable difference. The good news is that either works with OTG and doesn't cost any more to see which one renders the best results. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi all. I promised to Post back on this. All well and did a calibration of IMU and compass as suggested. All seems fine and went for 3 nice spins yesterday in a moment of sunshine-not something we get here often. I have been noticing the wifi signal is not brilliant. Use OTG with RC and well away from anything that might interfere. Fly with an iPad 6. Should I look at the Channel? I’m on 5ghz perhaps I should try 2? Have had a look at some YouTube vids on this and it seems quite complicated.
Here's a short tutorial on how to switch wifi frequencies. It's for the Air but works the same for the Spark.

I usually stick with 5.8 but when I did try 2.4 a few times I found I got more range but a less responsive video feed. Depends on your particular environment though so may be worth a try for you. Another possibility is adding a parabolic antenna range extender. Can be had on Amazon for a few bucks and they do work pretty well.

Just a note here, that some may find interesting. The number of satellites is not necessarily a conclusive indicator that you will have a good GPS signal. It does mean, with more satellites, that given good signal strength, you will get a more accurate fix on your location.

There are other factors that come into play that can cause a bad/weak GPS signal regardless of how many satellites you can see. My other half is a Ham Radio Operator and spends much time listening to the "Space Weather Woman", Dr. Tamitha Skov. One of the things I frequently hear her say in her forecasts is that GPS and GLONAS users will be negatively affected for a period of time, usually from the effects of coronal mass ejections impacting the Earth's magnetic field and ionosphere.

Just an observation by my Geek self.

Guess these are sun flares to us non-nerds. Very helpful thanks.
Yes indeed, you are correct. Janice is primarily interested in sunspot activity, which has a huge effect on Ham Radio. Unfortunately the Sun is at a solar minimum (has been for a while now) which means long range communications suck right now. Flares, bad for GPS, are good for the Hams.

Nerd mode off.

I have read that the Kp index does not have an effect on the flight of drones?

I never had a bad flight when the index was high.

I have read that when there is a lot of solar activity, satellites may be effected, including GPS, that the Spark relies on for a safe flight.

As I said, I haven't had a bad flight in the flatland of Indiana, but the pilots in the northern regions near the top of the planet may have a different story with the Aurora borealis activity.

Reactions: twickers14
I have read that the Kp index does not have an effect on the flight of drones?

I never had a bad flight when the index was high.

I have read that when there is a lot of solar activity, satellites may be effected, including GPS, that the Spark relies on for a safe flight.

As I said, I haven't had a bad flight in the flatland of Indiana, but the pilots in the northern regions near the top of the planet may have a different story with the Aurora borealis activity.
Have never checked the Kp index myself, never thought to actually.

I found this on the Drone Academy website: What is the Kp Index and Does it Matter to Drone Pilots
Informative, and apparently it can affect our GPS in a couple of ways.

There are a number of websites (UAV related) that you can visit to get the current status. As I said previously never really worried about it till I read this thread and started thinking about what I had heard on the Space Weather Girl's channel.

Oh, and sorry for the thread hijack.

Have never checked the Kp index myself, never thought to actually.

I found this on the Drone Academy website: What is the Kp Index and Does it Matter to Drone Pilots
Informative, and apparently it can affect our GPS in a couple of ways.

There are a number of websites (UAV related) that you can visit to get the current status. As I said previously never really worried about it till I read this thread and started thinking about what I had heard on the Space Weather Girl's channel.

Oh, and sorry for the thread hijack.
Interesting stuff. Just checked Algoma District. Looks remote but have you captured any autumn tree shots? The Google Maps site shows some lovely country Views.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme