Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Any thoughts on this anyone?

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Hi all. Happily flying here in Bristol on the Downs where I have flown many a time. Then yesterday I got this. She beeped a bit and as I had the wrong glasses on I panicked a little and pressed what I thought was the RTH button but hit land. She came down slowly and I thought into some tall chestnuts. I couldn’t see her so wizzed home and picked up some binocs. Got back and peered up into the tree but no sign. However checked the ground out below and there she was-possibly dropped from tree but no wind543DF1D3-6C01-4227-9767-B0B19EF4F7EE.png. A little manageable damage but what were the warnings? Never had a problem here and no obvious metal/magnetic presence-it’s largely open land with domestic property nearby. Would appreciate any pointers and thanks in advance.

Did you give the Spark time to get full GPS before take-off? Was it cloudy or overcast?

Hope the drone was OK after the fall. :(

Yep and made sure Home Point was properly recorded. Beautiful day for a change. I had already done a 10 minute flight a few minutes before from the same spot. New lamp cover already delivered and fitted (well done Amazon) and one of the prop guards had a broken stave. Spare fitted so ready to go (all tested on the kitchen table, everything flashing as it should!

I have no idea, but sure hope it was a one-off event. Something like that would certainly shake one's confidence. Hope it isn't an impending IMU/Compass failure. Keep us posted.

Very sorry to hear about your troubles twickers but sure glad to hear your Spark came out of it ok.

Are you familiar with uploading log files to either Phantom Help or Airdata then sharing a link back here with us? Maybe someone here can have a look at it and see what happened just before the beeping started.

I have no idea, but sure hope it was a one-off event. Something like that would certainly shake one's confidence. Hope it isn't an impending IMU/Compass failure. Keep us posted.
Will do.
Very sorry to hear about your troubles twickers but sure glad to hear your Spark came out of it ok.

Are you familiar with uploading log files to either Phantom Help or Airdata then sharing a link back here with us? Maybe someone here can have a look at it and see what happened just before the beeping started.
i haven’t got that au fait although I do see many others here digging that data out. I’ll give it a recalibrate as suggested and see how it goes. I may first of all however stand in the middle of the Downs with a mile every way and see what happens. I’ll be sure to have the right glasses on too!!

I would not try flying at all because this reminds me of my first Spark right out of the box.
Weak GPS signal with over 18 sats displayed.
I hate to say it but the only resolve for me was DJI service.
Quite disappointing after only having it 9 days.
I recognize you have had yours for a while but with such a contrast where the app says weak GPS yet shows 18 sats is an indicator of an issue that cannot be corrected by the user.

Really need to see the AIRDATA file to make a conclusive analysis. From the above clip there appears to be a complete loss of Geo-spacial orientation or a signal interuption between the Spark and the RC. Seeing 18 satellites with zero signal strength, loss of IMU orientation and loss of magnetic compass orientation. This frame may have been after the Spark hit the tree and was upside down.

Will do this thanks. As said above I’ll give it a fly first with some room around me-it was a bit treeclaphobic if you get my appalling English!
I really would not advise to fly before at least doing those two things. You may end up crashing all over or see if flying away into the sunset. As PM shop said, he might not even fly it at all and send in for service......

Really need to see the AIRDATA file to make a conclusive analysis. From the above clip there appears to be a complete loss of Geo-spacial orientation or a signal interuption between the Spark and the RC. Seeing 18 satellites with zero signal strength, loss of IMU orientation and loss of magnetic compass orientation. This frame may have been after the Spark hit the tree and was upside down.
This screen was during flight obviously but yes it was powered up while in the tree and it must have fallen out. Will have a think. Thank you for your input. Just hoping it was a blip and all will be well when I next try it.

twickers, please post back to this thread after you have a chance to do a test flight. Curious how the Spark behaves. Fingers crossed for you.

Hello @twickers14 ,

As suggested in a couple of posts above, I would also advise you to sync your flight logs to Airdata regularly. It is a very good tool to see what's going on inside the bird even when you don't run into an unusual situation like yours.

twickers, please post back to this thread after you have a chance to do a test flight. Curious how the Spark behaves. Fingers crossed for you.
Will do. I am not the most savvy techie so might have to start a new thread. Have calibrated the IMU already but haven’t had time to do the compass yet. Grandchildren here!!

I’ve had a happen a couple times when I’ve traveled with it for a few hours away from home. Calibrating the IMU and compass has worked to fix it for me.

I’ve had a happen a couple times when I’ve traveled with it for a few hours away from home. Calibrating the IMU and compass has worked to fix it for me.
Good to hear. It’s never happened to me before but I guess it keeps you from getting complacent. My response to it was not the best and I am very lucky I didn’t have to get the local cherry picker out!!

Reactions: I B Spectre
Hi all. I promised to Post back on this. All well and did a calibration of IMU and compass as suggested. All seems fine and went for 3 nice spins yesterday in a moment of sunshine-not something we get here often. I have been noticing the wifi signal is not brilliant. Use OTG with RC and well away from anything that might interfere. Fly with an iPad 6. Should I look at the Channel? I’m on 5ghz perhaps I should try 2? Have had a look at some YouTube vids on this and it seems quite complicated.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502