Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Anyone use a dedicated device with Spark?

I use an ipad mini 4 ....

Hello. So far I'm an Android person. I use either an older Samsung Galaxy S5 or Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. I have no experience with Apple products.

I have heard that Apple products perform better with the Spark (do they) – maybe it's time to give one a try.

I've seen a couple people mention they love their iPad mini 4's and it fits in the Controller between the arms.

What about an iPad mini 3. I've seen these for sale used on Amazon for about $180.

The 3 is a tiny bit smaller and thicker than the 4 and has an A7 processor versus an A8. I would go for 16 GB Wi-Fi only.

Can anybody with Apple experience comment on using an Apple mini 3?

I have an Xperia XZ which allows customizable modes for certain times of day or locations, or even when specific apps are running. I've configured it to go silent at work and at night, and separately, when DJI go app is running it now automatically switches on WiFi, screen brightness up full, do not disturb mode, and volume up max.

Come on guys. We are at the height of modern technology. Why bother shelling out for yet another device when your existing one is fine?

I use a Samsung Tab, about $149, and it works just fine. I don't use this tablet for anything else.
Firestat in Ohio
If your
I've seen a Youtuber suggest getting a dedicated device to use when flying the spark. I currently use my daily Pixel XL and it is always a hassle to turn off mobile data then connect via WIFI to the RC. Also, the cache stores takes up tons of room. Wondering if anyone else uses a dedicated device. Considering buying something cheap (Under $100) should I go Android or iOS (ipod touch?)
I use a an Acer Iconoa One 10 I got at Best Buy. They are available on ebay for $99.
The screen could be brighter, bit other than that it works well.

Hello. So far I'm an Android person. I use either an older Samsung Galaxy S5 or Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. I have no experience with Apple products.

I have heard that Apple products perform better with the Spark (do they) – maybe it's time to give one a try.

I've seen a couple people mention they love their iPad mini 4's and it fits in the Controller between the arms.

What about an iPad mini 3. I've seen these for sale used on Amazon for about $180.

The 3 is a tiny bit smaller and thicker than the 4 and has an A7 processor versus an A8. I would go for 16 GB Wi-Fi only.

Can anybody with Apple experience comment on using an Apple mini 3?

I’ve heard from several people using the mini 3. It seems to work great with the Spark.

I use an ipad mini4 128g as well. I bought it for the Spark exclusively. Amazon purchase. I generally use the ipad 4 when the flight requires better detail, nothing worse than trying to make out an object on a small device. So of course depending on the subject matter. But for messing around doing low level flying, where line of sight works best, due to my proximity to the Spark. I use an ipod touch 6. Something light, compact and easier to attach a sunhood. This I also bought for my Spark. ....I know, I spoil her rotten.

Hi there, new to Spark and the forum.
About using a bigger screen, I use Apple products but my IPad mini 1 cannot be updated to use Dji Go app, does anyone know which version I need to use it? Planning to buy a Second hand one to use it as dedicated device for the Spark.

Also, with the mini you can kind of fit it on portrait mode, does any one use it in landscape without the adapter to rise it over the controls?

Thanks!

Franc

About using a bigger screen, I use Apple products but my IPad mini 1 cannot be updated to use Dji Go app, does anyone know which version I need to use it? Planning to buy a Second hand one to use it as dedicated device for the Spark.

Also, with the mini you can kind of fit it on portrait mode, does any one use it in landscape without the adapter to rise it over the controls?

Thanks!

Franc

I tried an old iPad Mini 1 like you. It will not install DJI Go. It does fit landscape in the controller, and that is why I want to get the Mini 4. I believe the Mini 2-4 work.

I was going to use my 2017 iPad but that just feels too big, and it stays in my bedroom for tv so I don't disturb my wife.

Thanks!

Franc

Mini 2 and higher work and yes, they fit in the controller arms without an adapter in landscape. You may have to gently work it in with a bit of effort the first few times (some people have reported tighter controller arms than others). Once you do it a few times it gets easier and easier.

Doogee BL5000. Huge battery, Very bright screen, Affordable. I have 3 of these. 1 for Mavic 1 for Osmo+ and 1 for Spark. Still spent less total than one of the expensive popular gadgets.

You may have to unscrew one side of the grip pads on each arm to fit a case. Unless it’s REALLY slim
Agreed! It’s already a tight fit and leaves your thumbs at an uncomfortable awkward angle. I chose the Skyreat tablet holder. This elevates it off the controller leaving your hands free below it. I ended up mounting it on a low to the ground beach chair, on one of the wooden arms. This setup is great for sitting in the shade. I truly believe the more comfortable you are the better your results when flying. It also leaves my controller with nothing attached to it, unless I’m using the parabolic range extenders. Also im buying a second Skyreat tablet holder to have when sitting is not practical.

I'm using Huawei P9 Lite. No sim, no Google account, factory reseted, no additional apps, only MOD2 and LITE, dowloaded from dedicated tfread on this forum. Phone is in flight mode, wifi off.
Works without a single issue with OTG using MOD2 or LITE. Even icons are correct size, all telemetry, everything.
I'm mostly using LITE since I preloaded maps of my country.

I am an Android guy too and before I tried IOS I tried using a Samsung Tab and a Galaxy S2 phone to fly the drone but both gave me headaches, little issues/snags here and there, so then reluctantly I tried an iPad mini 2 w/ OTG (daughter's old iPad not being used) and I have no issues at all connecting to the controller or with the DJI GO 4 App. All is good with the iPad mini 4 so I have kept flying with it and not even looking back to Android. It has been a hassle though adjusting to IOS but I rader deal with that than to risk performance with my Spark while flying.

Agreed! It’s already a tight fit and leaves your thumbs at an uncomfortable awkward angle. I chose the Skyreat tablet holder. This elevates it off the controller leaving your hands free below it. I ended up mounting it on a low to the ground beach chair, on one of the wooden arms. This setup is great for sitting in the shade. I truly believe the more comfortable you are the better your results when flying. It also leaves my controller with nothing attached to it, unless I’m using the parabolic range extenders. Also im buying a second Skyreat tablet holder to have when sitting is not practical.
I stopped fighting with the hand controls and got a mount. Went through 3 of them and this one is the BEST by far. It fully collapses and fits inside my case. It's $19 on Amazon.

DJI Mavic Air / Mavic Pro Tablet Holder -Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Foldable Bracket Mount Extender for DJI Mavic Air/ Mavic Platinum/ DJI Spark, Mavic Pro Remote Controller with Lanyard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GV74L7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_uueMAbBCF3FWJ

CB7A7030-9AE7-426B-8F9F-ABA79A321224.png
I stopped fighting with the hand controls and got a mount. Went through 3 of them and this one is the BEST by far. It fully collapses and fits inside my case. It's $19 on Amazon.

DJI Mavic Air / Mavic Pro Tablet Holder -Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Foldable Bracket Mount Extender for DJI Mavic Air/ Mavic Platinum/ DJI Spark, Mavic Pro Remote Controller with Lanyard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GV74L7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_uueMAbBCF3FWJ
Yes, its exactly the same construction as the Skyreat with the same collapsible feature but $5.00 cheaper. Very happy with mine aswell.

If you can get an iPhone 6 or higher, I'd probably go that way. Spark definitely seems to work better with iPhones. If you're like me and can't afford one, I asked a similar question in another forum and some suggested the Wunderphone - Huawei's Ascend XT2. Very cheap and very powerful, may said it works great and it's very cheap.

Reactions: Hddeuce03

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit