Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Anyone use a dedicated device with Spark?

Agreed! It’s already a tight fit and leaves your thumbs at an uncomfortable awkward angle. I chose the Skyreat tablet holder. This elevates it off the controller leaving your hands free below it. I ended up mounting it on a low to the ground beach chair, on one of the wooden arms. This setup is great for sitting in the shade. I truly believe the more comfortable you are the better your results when flying. It also leaves my controller with nothing attached to it, unless I’m using the parabolic range extenders. Also im buying a second Skyreat tablet holder to have when sitting is not practical.

I went to a Mini 4 but passed. I truly don’t need another iPad. $300 for the iPad is almost as much as another Spark. I have a snake like bendable tablet stand that I use for watching tv in bed and I am going to try and use that and see if that works. If not, I will get the Skyreat.

I use a Lenovo Tab 4 8" Plus solely for my quad. Still running 4.1.15 because of OTG. Had to buy a micro USB to type C adapter but the connection is spotless.

I use a crystalsky 7.85 ultra bright. It works better than anything else I have tried, apple or android. Never lags and bright sunlight isn't a problem.

I've seen a Youtuber suggest getting a dedicated device to use when flying the spark. I currently use my daily Pixel XL and it is always a hassle to turn off mobile data then connect via WIFI to the RC. Also, the cache stores takes up tons of room. Wondering if anyone else uses a dedicated device. Considering buying something cheap (Under $100) should I go Android or iOS (ipod touch?)
I use the nexus 7 2nd gen. Works out perfect, slight mod to controller and it fits great.

Hello there. I had an Ipad 2017. It was great both in brightness and performance. Also in autonomy and absence of software problems (i am not an apple fanboy, always had android on phantom 2, phantom 3).
Since phantom 4 and the DJIGO4 app it really does not perform the same.
Now i have a spark and, believe it or not, an iphone SE. Performance is the same as the Ipad, if not better, it's lightweight, fits the controller and zero software problems.
Loved the ipad, the screen size on the app was amazing, but the SE was a great choice for the spark. [emoji106]

Here is my dedicated Nexus 6P:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/O9ztznDorOBCHa022
O9ztznDorOBCHa022

Hello there. I had an Ipad 2017. It was great both in brightness and performance. Also in autonomy and absence of software problems (i am not an apple fanboy, always had android on phantom 2, phantom 3).
Since phantom 4 and the DJIGO4 app it really does not perform the same.
Now i have a spark and, believe it or not, an iphone SE. Performance is the same as the Ipad, if not better, it's lightweight, fits the controller and zero software problems.
Loved the ipad, the screen size on the app was amazing, but the SE was a great choice for the spark. [emoji106]
Regarding the use of an Apple SE, I saw one on eBay for under $100. What would I need to be able to use this for my Spark ? Does it need to be locked into an account ? ( att, t mobile etc. )
I have never used an Apple product.

Regarding the use of an Apple SE, I saw one on eBay for under $100. What would I need to be able to use this for my Spark ? Does it need to be locked into an account ? ( att, t mobile etc. )
I have never used an Apple product.

You would need an itunes account (or someone with an itunes account). You would link that device to the account and then download the dji app from the appstore. Beyond that you wouldn't need anything.

Reactions: Icemanwbs
I've been testing a couple of devices since I've gotten my spark.

I've used:
ZTE Axon7 running stock Nougat everything (daily driver) and it's works ok.... Gives me issues occasionally but perhaps it's because it's my current phone of 2 years with apps installed and all. SD 820,4gb ram, 2k AMOLED screen, and quick charge.

Amazon: $250-300 New

An old Samsung Galaxy TabPro 8.4 which has been rooted, had the ROM switched many times, and is just old now (2014) (shuts off randomly nowadays). Get a new one and perhaps you've got a winner, cause it held up pretty well when it was working. SD 800 2gb ram, 1600x2560 screen, kk4.4, and Adreno 330gpu. For a better understanding, it ran GTA:SA at highest settings.

eBay about $70-100

I currently am trying my old ZTE ZMax (1st Gen) with it. Dji Go app runs well and I've only had it crash once over the 2 weeks I've been using it. It's an older budget phone (2014) that I owned years ago that's been reset and the only apps (apart from the stock TMobile bloatware) that are on it are DJI App, Airmap, SparkPilots, and Spotify. No sim, just wifi. Works pretty well for a 2gb ram, SD 400, and a 5.7in 720 screen running kk 4.2 It just barely manages to fit in the arms of the remote without a case.

eBay about $70-150

Last edited:
I use ipad 10.5 with mavmount. My samsung note 4 works with spark but not on phantom 4 pro. If you ever decide to upgrade to one of sparks bigger brothers, your older displays may not work as expected.

Using dedicated iPhone 7 Plus with both spark and p3s when traveling or quick flying around. When I go for a serious outing I usually bring iPad Pro 12”.
Both working great with otg cable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme