Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Battery Not used for almost 2 months - Can I still expect it to last?

Go_Birds89

Join
Mar 5, 2018
Battery was lost and I found it 2 months later.
Can I still expect the same performance and will it last as long as it used to?

Battery was lost and I found it 2 months later.
Can I still expect the same performance and will it last as long as it used to?

Unless it's been outdoors and exposed to weather, it should be fine.

Reactions: Go_Birds89
@Go_Birds89 I am just wondering, how did you lose a battery for two months, misplaced it?
Anyways, unless the battery was at zero percent for two months, I would think the battery should come back up and perform as normal.
There are some good battery experts on this board and you should hear from them went they get to this post, just provide more details.

@Go_Birds89 I am just wondering, how did you lose a battery for two months, misplaced it?
Anyways, unless the battery was at zero percent for two months, I would think the battery should come back up and perform as normal.
There are some good battery experts on this board and you should hear from them went they get to this post, just provide more details.
Yea I misplaced it. Have other batteries so could still fly but still happy I found it! Lol

Reactions: Rafa7
I've had phantom batteries sit idle for 6 months with no ill effects.

Also, I tend to think that batteries may sit on store shelves for several months before purchase. Especially when the particular drone is no longer the "hot" selling item.

I don't think a month or 2 should hurt your battery at all. From what I read, the intelligent controller should fully discharge your battery after 10 days of inactivity. Then, you can safely charge it up at some future point.

Sid

No on board controller, so different in some respects, but last year I gave away an Esky Honey Bee CP2 that had sat in my loft for a few years in its box with the batteries 3/4 charged.
Before I handed it over I checked the battery voltages, and they still had more than 2/3 charge, enough to give the heli a last test take off.
The batteries have been fine since, according to its new owner.

I note, however, that my 3 Spark batteries have lost about 30% charge after sitting idle for a couple of weeks. :eek:
This can only be due to the BCE (batt control electronics) in the Spark batteries.

EDIT: I forgot, I did a video at the time...

DJI batteries will self discharge to safe storage voltage on their own and hold that charge indefinitely unless damaged or exposed to extreme temperatures. Nothing to worry about. They are virtually fool proof. DJI Go 4 will give you the battery status and you will get alerts if the battery is defective. It amazes me that some people answer questions with smarts *** remarks like why not try it. If you dont know the answer , dont answer, dont be compelled to post just to belittle a question. Thats why forums exist. Jeepers man!

It should be good. It's a smart battery and goes into hibernation after a set amount of time unused or when the power level drops below a certain point.

Reactions: aml9005
DJI batteries will self discharge to safe storage voltage on their own and hold that charge indefinitely unless damaged or exposed to extreme temperatures. Nothing to worry about. They are virtually fool proof. DJI Go 4 will give you the battery status and you will get alerts if the battery is defective. It amazes me that some people answer questions with smarts *** remarks like why not try it. If you dont know the answer , dont answer, dont be compelled to post just to belittle a question. Thats why forums exist. Jeepers man!
You seem to know your way around the batteries. Is it normal if I don't fly for 2weeks or so and on full battery discharges about %10-%15 of the battery? Will it keep losing more charge over longer period of time or will it stay at that-%15?
Thnx

Here is what the battery manual says:

Battery Storage

1. Discharge the battery to 40%-65% if it will NOT be used for 10 days or more. This can greatly extend the battery life.

2. The battery automatically discharges to below 65% when it is idle for more than 10 days to prevent it from swelling. It takes approximately 3 days to discharge the battery to 65%. It is normal that you may feel moderate heat emitting from the battery during the discharge process. Set the discharging thresholds in the DJI GO 4 app.

3. DO NOT store the battery for an extended period after fully discharging it. Doing so may over-discharge the battery and cause irreparable battery cell damage.

4. The battery will enter hibernation mode if depleted and stored for a long period. Recharge the battery to bring it out of hibernation.

5. Remove batteries from the aircraft when stored for an extended period.

Reactions: shlomyinthepool
Here is what the battery manual says:

Battery Storage

1. Discharge the battery to 40%-65% if it will NOT be used for 10 days or more. This can greatly extend the battery life.

2. The battery automatically discharges to below 65% when it is idle for more than 10 days to prevent it from swelling. It takes approximately 3 days to discharge the battery to 65%. It is normal that you may feel moderate heat emitting from the battery during the discharge process. Set the discharging thresholds in the DJI GO 4 app.

3. DO NOT store the battery for an extended period after fully discharging it. Doing so may over-discharge the battery and cause irreparable battery cell damage.

4. The battery will enter hibernation mode if depleted and stored for a long period. Recharge the battery to bring it out of hibernation.

5. Remove batteries from the aircraft when stored for an extended period.
Ty

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502