Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Camera Lens Comparison

skipper20

Join
Dec 28, 2018
I like the camera lens on my Spark. Pictures are in sharp focus with excellent color saturation. How much better are the camera lenses on the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Zoom. Re the Zoom's 35mm equivalent 24-48 zoom lens, what's the advantage? You can easily "zoom" in and out by just remote controlling the drone in and out. The Pro lens is labeled "Hasselblad". Do you really get Hasselblad quality? Of the 3 cameras, Spark, Mavic Pro and Mavic Zoom, which gets the best pictures, both stills and videos?

Reactions: tmarez
Hello,
From what I have researched, Hasselblad have been making camera's and quality lenses for around 177 years. There equipment was the choice for NASA on Space Flights. DJI acquired Hasselblad this year. The Mavic 2 Pro as probably the most advanced camera of any drone in its size class by using the 1" Hasselblad sensor.

Reactions: nilanjan118
Thanks for your response. I certainly agree with you re Hasselblad's reputation for quality but I'm wondering why the selling price of a Mavic 2 Pro with the non-zoom Hasselblad lens is so much lower than the price of a Mavic Zoom with a no-name zoom lens? Usually price is an indication of quality. Is the Mavic Pro a "sleeper" or is the Mavic Zoom really that much better? And, is the Spark lens on the same level as the Mavic Pro Hasselblad lens?

The zoom costs less money than the pro. The pro has a MUCH larger sensor than the Spark (and the zoom), so is IMO the obvious choice if still images are the priority. However, if highest image quality is not the priority then the zoom might make more sense.

The Pro is more money than the Zoom but just marginally so and only for new items. For example, using the past 13 (Baker's dozen?) eBay new items sold as an index for both the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Zoom, the Pro averaged $1,413 whereas the Zoom averaged $1,295. But, the reverse happens when you look at used items sold on eBay. In that same 13 item count, used sales of the Pro averaged $748 compared to $1,068 for the Zoom. Averaging in both new and used, the Pro was $902 and the Zoom $1242. If the Pro with its Hasselblad lens is as good as they say it is, it's a real bargain on the used market much more so than the Zoom. But is it really that good? Of the 13 items recorded as Pro sales, only 3 were new items. The Zoom was the exact reverse - 10 were new and 3 were used. This could indicate that Zoom buyers are happy buyers as a great majority are hanging on to what they bought and not reselling. But Pro buyers may not be happy as a great majority of them seem to be reselling what they bought. I respect the fact that this is a Spark forum and I'm talking Mavics both Pro and Zoom. But I'm using the Spark as a stepping-stone to learn the basics and then upgrade to the best possible lens I can get within the so-called consumer market. I have to believe there are users on this forum who have had experience with both the Spark and the Mavics. I'm looking to them for a bit of helpful advice. Thanks!

I believe that strictly speaking it’s not a Hasselblad lens in the M2P, but rather some clever software. I would (will?) choose the M2P over the M2Z because the larger sensor will deliver better stills.

Just think about it. If you not into superior (on paper) picture quality why not to have the only drone with zoom?
In 1080 it’s x4 zoom. Means flying 400 feet high you can zoom down and see it like you 100feet high. In full HD!!

And you still getting great still shots with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregorioDy