Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cinematic Mode | Unleash the hidden potential of the Spark

Spark is discontinued.
Do not expect updates of FW.
GO 4 app updates every month or so, but nothing new in there for the Spark model. Maybe NFZ stuff and such.
If you have a successful setup you've build confidence and trust along...
Keep it. Use it.
If you are anxious about modded app, broken warranty etc...
Stay official. To the end.

My Spark is married to the modded 4.1.15 until his pulse is gone..

Fly more!

This is a very valid point. The only time I had to do a firmware update was when I activated my first Spark (bought in Oct 2018). My replacement Spark (Jan 2019) required no firmware updates. The only updates which keep popping up almost every couple of weeks or so are "Flysafe Database updates". But hey, if you are aware of the laws of the land and use apps like Airmap to identify NFZs, do you really need those updates? So although my Spark and mod 2.0 have been living in only for the last couple of weeks till now, I think its better for them to tie the knot as in the case of @Haggi above. And that means I will drop the plan of installing the "official" app again. Sorry @I B Spectre .

Please don't apologize nilanjan, I appreciate the information you and Haggi provide. While there is a fair amount of material on the internet regarding apps for which the Spark can benefit, most of it is disjointed and scattered. Trying to piece it together for a clear idea on which to make a decision is difficult.

From Haggi's explanation on the two variations of Mod 2.0, it sounds like the HERE map option would require less time to prep when moving among different areas. You posted that you use the Google variant and I'm most familiar with their maps, but I'm using a phone dedicated to the Spark and it won't have web access (no SIM). I could cache the maps before departing, but if rebooting the phone loses them, the HERE version may be the better choice for me assuming either version is comparable.

I don't know if the links on the first page of the thread on Mod 2.0 are still working, but it doesn't show how to choose between the Google or HERE maps versions.

Took the plunge and uninstalled the Go 4 app, downloaded and installed the Go 4 Mod 2.0 app Google Maps version since I'm more familiar with them. I see the Mod version doesn't have the Offline Maps option on the menu screen. Don't know if that's peculiar to the Mod base v4.1.15 or the Android version of it, so I'll do some digging to see how/if map caching can be done. I may have to try the HERE version later. Charging batteries now to hook it all up and see what I've got. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I suggest you keep us updated on your progress.
This is your "small step for mankind...."-moment ?
LOL, will do ? ?

Wasn't sure about a couple of the steps leading up to the installation, but my dear daughter helped guide Dad through the shadow of the valley of confusion. Everyone has been so helpful, sharing what I learn is the least I can do.

Update:
Got through the first, brief flight with no catastrophe. My first exposure to Go 4 was v4.3.20, so I'm not sure what things change with v4.1.15. I'm not seeing the Precise Fly Safe Databases for Aircraft and App listed on the Mod, also it shows "NA" for Aircraft and Remote Controller firmware rather than version, but no prompts indicating the need to update. Looking forward to trying the added capabilities, but the backyard likely won't be large enough for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: nilanjan118
@I B Spectre
You've got a no-sim device?
Maybe the app is trying to phone home to get info about your bird, but the wire is broken?
You using OTG cable or WIFI between device and RC?
With the modded app I get regularly notifications about updates of databases.
I always accept download..

Reactions: I B Spectre
Initially I had turned WiFi ON on the phone after turning the RC and Spark on. I got a short message saying Updating Basic Fly Safe Database, but nothing after that. I hooked up the OTG, which is my usual configuration (along with Airplane mode ON and WiFi OFF) and went through the various menu pages looking for the Precise Fly Safe Databases, but they were not listed. Even on the stock Go 4, I rarely got update notices for these and I live very close to the edge of two Class D facilities. Not sure why I got "NA" (not applicable?) on the Aircraft and RC firmwares, but until I learn more from others, I'm not worried too much. Btw, yes, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6+ Edge with no SIM card in it, just check for updates via home WiFi.

Initially I had turned WiFi ON on the phone after turning the RC and Spark on. I got a short message saying Updating Basic Fly Safe Database, but nothing after that. I hooked up the OTG, which is my usual configuration (along with Airplane mode ON and WiFi OFF) and went through the various menu pages looking for the Precise Fly Safe Databases, but they were not listed. Even on the stock Go 4, I rarely got update notices for these and I live very close to the edge of two Class D facilities. Not sure why I got "NA" (not applicable?) on the Aircraft and RC firmwares, but until I learn more from others, I'm not worried too much. Btw, yes, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6+ Edge with no SIM card in it, just check for updates via home WiFi.

To check for updates, you need not be in Airplane mode. Here are the steps to follow.
1. Turn on RC, turn WiFi on Phone (to connect to home internet)
2. Turn on AC
3. When RC led turns green, connect OTG cable between phone and RC
4. Launch Go4/Go4 Mod

The app then checks with the DJI servers if there is any update and a prompt appears if there is one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe