Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cinematic Mode | Unleash the hidden potential of the Spark

So i had a few minutes to spare this weekend, and to be honest, I was a little worried about going full throttle around corners... but in this video I did crank it up towards the end. It does seem to be effective in Cinematic. I did a POI at the beginning, its jerky, but so is Litchi. I did not bother doing the upscale to 60p however I did try the downscale to 24P, with the 20% speed reduction, but I was not all that impressed with any gains in smoothness. The S6 I was using has a rather dim screen, so until I get a better device, I may just stick with iOS... and work with the stock app. Sadly the bitrate of the Spark is the downfall even in this mode, which compensates fairly well for the lack of the third gimbal. Overall impression of Cinematic was "cool!".

Thanks for the evaluation. Maybe it's the newbness in me that makes me easily impressed, but I thought it looked pretty good!

Well, since getting the Spark, I have been searching for ways to get that buttery smooth video that the bigger more expensive drones can produce... so I have become a little more critical than I used to be. I spent (and still do) countless hours with digital audio, but started all that recording studio stuff back when it was all analog. Its the same thing with video, continuous voltage change versus incremental binary changes in parameters, so... digital means little steps.. its hard to escape. So, the next time I test that Cinematic mode, I am going to use ND filters, which will add some motion blur, along with some frame rate smoke and mirrors and see if I can get it super smootherer! (new word).

I have the green light from the Mrs. regarding my upgrade to a new bird, but I am going to wait for spring 2020 now, makes more sense, as around here, flying in the winter is more risky than at other times of the year. Then I will have all the tools to better reach my yearning for smooth cinematic video.

Glad you liked the video. Keep on flying, then the newbishness will be fade. I still feel like a newb too!

I don't recall if you indicated if you've tried other 3rd party apps (Litchi, Drone Harmony, Red Waypoint or Dronelink). I've been reading on the strengths and weaknesses on those apps and, from what I can tell, none of them have a Cinematic mode that works as well as the Go 4 Mod. If that's true, I'd consider one with Waypoint Mission planning (probably Litchi) and the Go 4 Mod specifically for the high speed Cinematic mode. Thoughts anyone?

I don't recall if you indicated if you've tried other 3rd party apps (Litchi, Drone Harmony, Red Waypoint or Dronelink). I've been reading on the strengths and weaknesses on those apps and, from what I can tell, none of them have a Cinematic mode that works as well as the Go 4 Mod. If that's true, I'd consider one with Waypoint Mission planning (probably Litchi) and the Go 4 Mod specifically for the high speed Cinematic mode. Thoughts anyone?
Exactly my setup... plus DH for those orthomosaic photos (grid)

I've got Litchi, I quite like it, the mission hub is great. And the MOD is cool as you've said, nobody else is providing Cinematic. I have yet to explore DroneLink but it looks like Litchi on steroids. I did sign up for the freebie. My feelings are that you should never have just one tool in the toolbox, there's no single solution that brings it all at once.

So i had a few minutes to spare this weekend, and to be honest, I was a little worried about going full throttle around corners... but in this video I did crank it up towards the end. It does seem to be effective in Cinematic. I did a POI at the beginning, its jerky, but so is Litchi. I did not bother doing the upscale to 60p however I did try the downscale to 24P, with the 20% speed reduction, but I was not all that impressed with any gains in smoothness. The S6 I was using has a rather dim screen, so until I get a better device, I may just stick with iOS... and work with the stock app. Sadly the bitrate of the Spark is the downfall even in this mode, which compensates fairly well for the lack of the third gimbal. Overall impression of Cinematic was "cool!".

Great demo and a very comprehensive review overall. I just fell in love with this location and the fall foliage. Do you mind doing a more "trials" and give us a longer video may be? ?

Well, since getting the Spark, I have been searching for ways to get that buttery smooth video that the bigger more expensive drones can produce... so I have become a little more critical than I used to be. I spent (and still do) countless hours with digital audio, but started all that recording studio stuff back when it was all analog. Its the same thing with video, continuous voltage change versus incremental binary changes in parameters, so... digital means little steps.. its hard to escape. So, the next time I test that Cinematic mode, I am going to use ND filters, which will add some motion blur, along with some frame rate smoke and mirrors and see if I can get it super smootherer! (new word).

I have the green light from the Mrs. regarding my upgrade to a new bird, but I am going to wait for spring 2020 now, makes more sense, as around here, flying in the winter is more risky than at other times of the year. Then I will have all the tools to better reach my yearning for smooth cinematic video.

Glad you liked the video. Keep on flying, then the newbishness will be fade. I still feel like a newb too!

The limitation of the Spark's gimbal and bitrate is known to all. It can never match the Mavics. However I am sure you would have experienced by now that the Cinematic mode is quite an improvement from the stock P-mode or Sports mode. Unless you are flying low to the ground or close to objects, the cinematic mode should be the go to mode for any drone shot. Also the fact that you can cover so much more distance in this mode(due to speed and increased battery life) is a huge bonus.

Exactly my thoughts. Now that I have the Go4 mod, I use Litchi only for waypoints and that's only due to its ability to design the mission on a computer. However it is also true that waypoints is not something which we tend to use regularly. Flying an automated mission is no fun. Sports mode with the Spark is a lot of fun but the footage you get with it is of no use unless I use the cut and trim option in my video editor extensively. And that makes Cinematic mode my go to mode. So if I have to break down the features I use in order of preference/frequency, it will be as follows.

1. Cinematic mode (Go4 Mod)
2. Active Track (Go4 Mod)
3. POI (Go4 Mod)
4. Waypoints (Litchi)
5. Course Lock/Home lock (Go4 Mod)

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I'm interested in this cinematic mode, but unsure how to get it. Which version of the DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 app are you using? In the dedicated thread, there are a lot of dead links, but I've been able to download 2 versions:

1. DJI_GO_4.1.15_MOD_2.0.apk via DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 | DJI GO 4 MOD LITE [ Additional Features | Android | App Ver. 4.1.15 ]

I can't find a cinematic mode on this version, but i am able to install it alongside the official app, which is nice.

2. 4.1.15 Spark with offline Heremaps maps from I.apk via DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 | DJI GO 4 MOD LITE [ Additional Features | Android | App Ver. 4.1.15 ]

I haven't tried this version yet, only downloaded, but it would replace the official app.

Here's a video which may help you with the installation.

I see in the video they downloaded the Mod Lite, which I've read cannot be installed alongside DJI Go 4 due to some naming protocol conflicts. Conversely, I've read that Mod 2.0 can be installed alongside Go 4. I presume this means you'd have to delete Go 4 if installing the Mod Lite, but can keep Go 4 if installing Mod 2.0. I'd be hesitant to get rid of Go 4 altogether for FW/SW updates. Am I anywhere near correct in this?

Reactions: basily
Thanks for the review. I'm interested in this cinematic mode, but unsure how to get it. Which version of the DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 app are you using? In the dedicated thread, there are a lot of dead links, but I've been able to download 2 versions:

1. DJI_GO_4.1.15_MOD_2.0.apk via DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 | DJI GO 4 MOD LITE [ Additional Features | Android | App Ver. 4.1.15 ]

I can't find a cinematic mode on this version, but i am able to install it alongside the official app, which is nice.

2. 4.1.15 Spark with offline Heremaps maps from I.apk via DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 | DJI GO 4 MOD LITE [ Additional Features | Android | App Ver. 4.1.15 ]

I haven't tried this version yet, only downloaded, but it would replace the official app.

As far as I am aware, there are 3 versions - Go4 Mod 2.0, Go4 Mod lite, Go4 mod with Here maps.
I am using the 1st version, which is #1 in your case also. This version uses Google maps on your phone to get the maps. There is no offline map available. So if you head out to a new area without internet connectivity on your phone, make sure you cache the google maps of that area in advance.

Did you say you can't find the Cinematic mode? Just tap the flight modes icon on the left (the one you tap to select active track, quickshots etc.). You will now enter screen 1 of 3. Swipe left to the 2nd screen to find Cinematic Mode.

I see in the video they downloaded the Mod Lite, which I've read cannot be installed alongside DJI Go 4 due to some naming protocol conflicts. Conversely, I've read that Mod 2.0 can be installed alongside Go 4. I presume this means you'd have to delete Go 4 if installing the Mod Lite, but can keep Go 4 if installing Mod 2.0. I'd be hesitant to get rid of Go 4 altogether for FW/SW updates. Am I anywhere near correct in this?

I had the official Go4 app removed before installing the Go4 mod to avoid any conflicts. I am afraid I don't know if both can exist simultaneously. I hope someone else will be able to answer this. As for updates, they can be done via Mod 2.0 as well. I am signed in on the mod Go4 app via my official DJI login and I am not treating it differently than the official Go4. So far I have got "Flysafe database updates" prompts on it which I have ignored. As for firmware updates, it is not something which you get regularly and you can do it via DJI Assistant as well.

Edit: Just saw in post #51 that DJI_GO_4.1.15_MOD_2.0.apk can be installed simultaneously with Go4 (official). So as far as my understanding goes, we can force close the official Go4 (to make sure it is not running in background) and use the G04 mod 2.0. This needs to be done when using Litchi as well. Hope it clarifies your doubt @I B Spectre .

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

As far as I am aware, there are 3 versions - Go4 Mod 2.0, Go4 Mod lite, Go4 mod with Here maps.
I am using the 1st version, which is #1 in your case also. This version uses Google maps on your phone to get the maps. There is no offline map available. So if you head out to a new area without internet connectivity on your phone, make sure you cache the google maps of that area in advance.

Ok, but where do i find cinematic mode? I'm sure I'm staring right at it and can't see it...

Ok, but where do i find cinematic mode? I'm sure I'm staring right at it and can't see it...

Sorry I missed your question first time. Edited my comment now. Anyway, just to make it clear again, just tap the flight modes icon on the left (the one you tap to select active track, quickshots etc.). You will now enter screen 1 of 3. The mod 2.0 unlocks screen 2 and 3 for Spark users. Swipe left to the 2nd screen to find Cinematic Mode.

Reactions: basily
Edit: Just saw in post #51 that DJI_GO_4.1.15_MOD_2.0.apk can be installed simultaneously with Go4 (official). So as far as my understanding goes, we can force close the official Go4 (to make sure it is not running in background) and use the G04 mod 2.0. This needs to be done when using Litchi as well. Hope it clarifies your doubt @I B Spectre .
Yes, and thanks, nilanjan118. Much appreciated. I told you I'd be picking your brain ?

Yes, and thanks, nilanjan118. Much appreciated. I told you I'd be picking your brain ?

You are welcome. And just to get some more assurance (and share a bit of it with you), I will try installing the official Go4 alongside the mod Go4 and see how it goes. I agree with you that installing updates from the "official" app gives more peace of mind. I will get back to you once I am done. Cheers!!

Reactions: I B Spectre
Spark is discontinued.
Do not expect updates of FW.
GO 4 app updates every month or so, but nothing new in there for the Spark model. Maybe NFZ stuff and such.
If you have a successful setup you've build confidence and trust along...
Keep it. Use it.
If you are anxious about modded app, broken warranty etc...
Stay official. To the end.

My Spark is married to the modded 4.1.15 until his pulse is gone..

Fly more!

Per nilanjan118, there are two iterations of Go 4 Mod 2.0. One uses Google Maps, the other HERE maps. What are the pros and cons of the two versions?

Last edited:
Per nilanjan118, there are two iterations of Go 4 Mod 2.0. One uses Google Maps, the other HERE maps. What are the pros and cons of the two versions?
Both are based on the same original DJI GO4 4.1.15 version.

Google Maps version has no offline map support, you need to cache the map to the phone when on wifi/data.
This is simply achieved by opening the Go 4 app, enter map view, scroll/zoom to area wanted...done.
If you reboot your device, cached map will be gone.

Here Map version support offline maps, downloaded to your device.
This is the preferred version for most users.

Other than this map stuff, they are supposed to be identical with the same features. (Support for OTG, FCC, Mavic intelligent flight modes etc)

I do not recommend two GO 4 versions on your device.
Choose either one of these 3 (Latest official, modded Google Maps or modded Here Map), and you're good to go!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh