Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cold weather caution

AeroMirage

Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 28, 2017
Loc
North Carolina
Watch your battery level closely when flying in the cold.
I flew tonight and 2 of my batteries started out at 60% even though they had been fully charged. But they were cold.
In a matter of about 4 minutes I was down to 30% and bringing her back in to land.
Just a heads up!!

Reactions: antnyp85
Cold weather will definitely shorten your flight time. Keep them warm prior to use. I keep them in my pocket so they don't get cool. You can also buy battery warmers. Cold = Bad

https://www.amazon.com/Turnigy-Programmable-Lipo-Battery-Warmer/

View attachment 2219
I have the battery warmer linked to above and it works great. I used it today to keep 2 of my Phantom 3 Standard batteries warm on a hike along a river in -10C temps. Had no problems at all. I plan on using it when I get a Spark at Christmas.

Chris

I normally keep mine warm prior to flight but had an exception and wanted to share just how much impact the cold can have. These batteries were charged 100% the night before but read 60% when put in the bird cold and quickly dropped from there.

I've got a photographer vest, lots of pockets for batteries. I wear it under my coat so my body heat keeps them warm. So far, it's worked great.

I use a travel type diddy bag that hangs around your neck with room for three batteries and it's all in a flannel pouch.

I have the battery warmer linked to above and it works great.

I see it has a 12v dc input, do you carry a battery to power the bag?

If so, can you put that battery inside the bag to keep it warm too?

Thanks.

I use a travel type diddy bag that hangs around your neck with room for three batteries and it's all in a flannel pouch.

I see it has a 12v dc input, do you carry a battery to power the bag?

If so, can you put that battery inside the bag to keep it warm too?

Thanks.
Yes, I power it with one of my batteries that I use for my Syma X8G drone. It takes 3 cell lipos. I just had to buy an adapter to connect it to the lipo banana plug. Right now just use a cd pocket stuck to the outside to hold the Syma battery but will be buying an extension so I can put it in the bag to keep it warm also.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena