Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Current State of the Spark (updated - bought one)

Lastrexking

Join
Jun 2, 2017
Loc
Yorkshire
Hi all. I preordered the a Spark when it was first announced, then cancelled as there were just a few too many issues. Particularly the connection of the remote.

I'd still like to buy one, but I'd like to know if the Spark is consistently having problems, or if DJI have solved them since release? What's the remote connection like? Do you still need an otg cable to fly reliably? Or, are there any other ongoing issues?

Thanks

I know a few people that have had no problems but then there are others that have had plenty of problems like myself. I think its the luck of the draw some are good some are bad when it does work it is a really good drone. The rc connection issue is a lot better since update but i still prefer to use otg. If you get a good one you wont be disappointed

bennie

The QuickShot modes were really done poorly on the initial firmware versions. Most of them really didn't work right. But now on the 600 firmware, all 4 modes work fine. I've only got 10 flights on mine but am pretty happy with it finally. Clearly it was rushed to market. When will DJI ever get their software act together?

Had mine for a month now. Only one issue but that was down to me taking off from a metal table. No issues with remote or connectivity yet. I fly with and without OTG and remote

Forums attract people with problems. People without issues are probably happily getting on with playing with their Sparks. I suspect that overall the product has matured enough in recent weeks to be trusted. Some people, including me, have specific issues but we do not represent the majority

+1

Its just the way it is; Vocal minority, Silent Majority. Not many people are going to come on here and post that everything is great no problem. Then we as humans are always looking for the negative in anything and focus on that.

I'm not saying the Spark didn't have any issues when first released. That would be a first for any complex system, but I believe the problems experienced weren't as widespread as one would believe based on postings. My Spark has not had any serious issues since I purchased it. Gesture mode was spotty; it didn't follow me very well... But no issues with connectivity. I used to use the OTG cable all the time, not so much anymore. It flies and responds just fine without it. I'm thinking "possibly" those with the OTG issue are using Android-based devices...

Forums attract people with problems. People without issues are probably happily getting on with playing with their Sparks. I suspect that overall the product has matured enough in recent weeks to be trusted. Some people, including me, have specific issues but we do not represent the majority

Reactions: Born In The Bronx
I'm happy as a clam since the new firmware came out. It now pretty much does what it was advertised to do to when released. And if you'd bought one to begin with, you'd feel the same, I reckon.

Reactions: Simon Roberts
No problem with OTG connectivity on android from the first version to the last here.

My take on most connectivity issues is that people don't notice/understand a few things:
- The OTG adapter needs to be plugged into the remote ONLY after the remote has finished booting and is ready. If it's plugged before it won't work.
- Over Wi-Fi, if you play with various phones make sure you forget the network on all of them but the one you're going to use. If you have another phone around you that remembers the network and connects first when you power the rc on it may prevent the "intended" phone from working even if wifi connects and seems OK.

Great little UAV for traveling. No issues at all.
Gesture modes, tracking and quick shots all a waste of time and a gimmick as I can fly all the maneuvers more reliably and more stable manually myself.
Palm launch and land is great for dusty/difficult environments.
No problems to date.

Reactions: KNAVE
No problem with OTG connectivity on android from the first version to the last here.

My take on most connectivity issues is that people don't notice/understand a few things:
- The OTG adapter needs to be plugged into the remote ONLY after the remote has finished booting and is ready. If it's plugged before it won't work.

I suspected this was the case - makes total sense. Sometimes I've had trouble with OTG and I'm sure this is it. THANKS!

I've had mine for 3 months now and only experienced issues when I updated firmware but has since been fixed with newer firmware. As for the "falling out of the sky" issue, never experienced it. Its just it and miss with products.

I've had mine for 3 months now and only experienced issues when I updated firmware but has since been fixed with newer firmware. As for the "falling out of the sky" issue, never experienced it. Its just it and miss with products.

I've had no trouble with my spark either, except damages from crashes [emoji12].

Never had a single issue. Just take your time setting up with your first battery for each flight session to get GPS lock and to let the sensors settle on the Spark... issues I've seen are from starting and launching with major interference around the drone. And buy a gimbal protector to look after it while in the bag.

Sent from my SM-G955F using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

If you live in an FCC country it's great.

If you live in a CE country the reduced transmitter power is the main cause of all the connectivity issues and makes the drone frustrating to use. I would not recommend a Spark to someone in a CE country without them being happy to hack it.

If you live in an FCC country it's great.

If you live in a CE country the reduced transmitter power is the main cause of all the connectivity issues and makes the drone frustrating to use. I would not recommend a Spark to someone in a CE country without them being happy to hack it.
Mine is a CE version and after many problems i am now getting great distance furthest is 600m atm and height has been 250 meters

bennie

Oh and before anyone complains that i was flying too high im on a tropical island with no flight paths nearby it took 3 hours to get here by high speed ferry

bennie

Reactions: Gladiator30
Oh and before anyone complains that i was flying too high im on a tropical island with no flight paths nearby it took 3 hours to get here by high speed ferry

bennie
Tropical island doesn't feel like a CE country? Where are you?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar