Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Dang, I'm so stupid! Fried contoller :-(

GG Teach

Join
Aug 23, 2019
Hi, all, I stupidly fried my Spark controller--thought I could charge it with my Mavic 2 conroller since it's "dji"--NOPE! Now, I want to unlink the drone from the controller, but, from what video I watched online, it says I have to turn the controller on....NADDA....is there a way I can unlink the drone without having the controller on?? AND, I"ve ordered a new controller in the meantime (I'm looking into whether the fried one can be repaired.) so when the NEW controller arrives, will I be able to link the drone to the new one if, for some reason, I can't unlink the old one. I just feel SICK!! A little voice told me NOT to plug it in the Mavic charger, but this time I didn't listen!! ****! THanks for any help.

Last edited:
At the 4 minute mark of this video...

He explains how to connect to the phone, breaking the link with the RC, and you'll be able to fly using the phone until you get your remote.

At the 4 minute mark of this video...

He explains how to connect to the phone, breaking the link with the RC, and you'll be able to fly using the phone until you get your remote.
Thank you SO MUCH! I was able to get my Spark to fly via just my phone and the Go4 app. However, I was afraid to take it very far because the message on the screen said it was a poor quality WiFi connection, and I even went out in a farmer's hay field--wide open--where I usually fly. Is there anything I can do to improve that until my new controller arrives? Hopefully, the new controller will link up w/ no problems. I STILL can just KICK MYSELF!!! :-( Lesson---always listen to my inner voice. :-(

Reactions: Spark 317
Is there anything I can do to improve that until my new controller arrives?

Not really. That's the drawback of just using the phone.
You don't have those big antennas pumping out a strong WiFi signal to the Spark.
You'll be limited on the range and altitude.

Reactions: GG Teach
Not really. That's the drawback of just using the phone.
You don't have those big antennas pumping out a strong WiFi signal to the Spark.
You'll be limited on the range and altitude.
Thanks for the info.--I sorta figured that was the case. I guess I'll just have to be extra careful for a few says. Getting new controller from New Egg, and will be contacting DJI and see if they can repair the old controller too. I see they are at a "premium" these days, so I guess it won't hurt to have 2. :)

Reactions: RotorWash
Don’t try to go to far with just the phone. It will unlink and come home. When it gets close you can go to your settings and link it again. Mine tried to land on the roof. I took off under the patio and then got a call because I didn’t put the phone in airplane mode. It didn’t like the look of the roof so it just hovered. I finally got my wits together and went to setting and reconnect. I’ve done some dumb things

Don’t try to go to far with just the phone. It will unlink and come home. When it gets close you can go to your settings and link it again. Mine tried to land on the roof. I took off under the patio and then got a call because I didn’t put the phone in airplane mode. It didn’t like the look of the roof so it just hovered. I finally got my wits together and went to setting and reconnect. I’ve done some dumb things
Oh, geez...I forgot about the airplane mode thing...I was thinking about that today while flying with the controller and my phone (before I fried it. :-( I was wondering about what would happen if I got a call, even when using the controller, and I can see where using ONLY my phone would be even more susceptible if calls came in. I'm definitely going to remember to put my phone in airplane mode from now on. Thanks for the info. and sharing. :)

I'm curious as to why another charger fried your controller. Aren't all USB connections 5 volts? I know some are higher amperage but is still seems like it should have worked just fine. ? hmmm.

I'm curious as to why another charger fried your controller. Aren't all USB connections 5 volts? I know some are higher amperage but is still seems like it should have worked just fine. ? hmmm.
Yes, that's what I first thought too and why I didn't listen to that little voice that first made me hesitate. But I plugged it in, and not too long after that I started to smell something and when I picked it up to unplug it, it was HOT as H*LL...so I know I had fried it! IT's totally gone...no life left at all. I still feel awful! That was a 150 dollars I didn't plan on spending! :-(

I'm sorry that happened to you but I hope that others that have both a Spark and a M2 read this and don't have the same thing happen to them.

I'm sorry that happened to you but I hope that others that have both a Spark and a M2 read this and don't have the same thing happen to them.
Thanks. I appreciate that. I hope others see this too and take care NOT to do the same thing! :-(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav