Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Finally Done It!

Join
Mar 9, 2020
Well I have finally done it and gone and got a very low use as new Spark setup. Combo kit, range extender plus more.

Right what do I do now apart from reading the manuals/watching Youtube videos?

What about the DJI app?
Registering with DJI as a second user?

I have completed/paid for my 'Pilots' licence as it is over 250g in weight.

Treat me gently....

Steve

Attachments

• 95404085_652407301986357_594738900459585536_n.jpg
    95404085_652407301986357_594738900459585536_n.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 42
  • 95471312_2918486028239914_1810605826553937920_n.jpg
    95471312_2918486028239914_1810605826553937920_n.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 95483472_230725148200782_7665703830864003072_n.jpg
    95483472_230725148200782_7665703830864003072_n.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 49
  • 95956976_528834281132827_4399682288053387264_n.jpg
    95956976_528834281132827_4399682288053387264_n.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 95970307_1008561546204360_7600490490550550528_n.jpg
    95970307_1008561546204360_7600490490550550528_n.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 47
  • 96083064_1632924660191903_8555563471968665600_n.jpg
    96083064_1632924660191903_8555563471968665600_n.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Spark 317
I definitely benefited from using the Beginners mode for all my initial flights.

Thanks to all.

As I am the second owner, the original owner must have activated it and registered his details, email etc. How can I setup my details ?

There does not seem to be a RC to mobile cable included, I am going to use a Samsung S9, what cable/where can I get it? I assume that using a cable that it avoids the need to connect to the RC wirelessly?

Is it an OTG cable I need?

Steve

Last edited:
Is it an OTG cable I need?

Steve
Hi Steve,
Yes, it is a OTG cable. They’re pretty cheap, you can get them online from DJI or eBay. It will enable direct connection from remote to phone without the need for wifi.
I use and iPhone but apparently on android devices there some settings for using an OTG type cable to attached devices. Hopefully an android pilot can assist with more direction there.
I also recommend putting your phone into flight mode and turning of wifi and Bluetooth just as precaution and to avoid that unwanted phone call mid flight.

As for registration, the initial DJI registration can’t change, if you decide to activate a re-fresh plan then I’m sure that process will assist with some kind of registration transfer. Your DJI go 4 app account is different as that just the app user.
If your referring to FAA or CASA or who ever the aviation authority is then if it is registered there then the personal who did that can remove the aircraft from where ever it is registered.
Hope that helps and enjoy for spark.

This lil guy (the Spark) is still a very effective Drone. I'm a die-hard Spark user. If it's your first time, I would highly recommend getting used to the controller, app settings and telemetry readings first. The best way in my opinion is staying low to the ground. Once you master your basic flying skills and get to really know the controller and app. Use the customizable buttons to suit your flying style. My 2 buttons I have set for video exposure lock and camera/ Up Down. There will be times when you lose visual sight of the Spark and being able to quickly look straight down at the push of a button to get your bearings really helps. After doing all of that then take her up into the wild blue yonder. Most of the bad experiences that happen to newbies is a lack of familiarity with the controller and app settings. The drones' limitations can greatly ruin the overall experience if you're not expecting any. But once you know what it can do, the real fun begins. And a true appreciation of what this lil machine is capable of, makes having it so much better.

Reactions: Spark 317
Congratulations to you, SS. You will be amazed at the capabilities of the Spark. Start out nice and easy before slipping the clutch into SPORT mode. I have the Spark as well and she is wonderful.

The Return To Home options and the actions it does, trips up some new pilots until they learn what's going on.

Here's a quick reference flowchart that may clear up how the RTH works.

20190122_100811.png

I accidentally sent my Spark up into a tree because I didn't pay attention to the warning, "Aircraft will return to home in ten seconds".

I was one second too late.?

Went to grab the Spark and up into the tree canopy it went until it did a controlled crash landing back through the branches.:oops:

I have moved from the orignal launch point on my deck to the shade of the tree and that is why it happened.

Live and learn.?

Oh, another thing, when pressing the RTH button on the remote, you have to HOLD it down until the remote beeps and the RTH is initiated.

Last edited:
Looking at the fourth picture with the controller and range extender, you have the extender on backwards. Maybe you did that just for the picture but I had to mention it. Always keep the antennas perpendicular to the drone while flying. Have fun.;)

How many times has a pilot forgotten there's a "pause" button "||" on the remote? When you get in too hot, hit pause and Sparky will stop whatever it's doing and freeze on the spot.

Stay in "beginner" mode for the first several flights. Read manuals, watch YouTube (Ty is the man).

Forget about using hand gestures. They don't work. For best experience, fly out in wide open spaces, away from spurious interference. Fly conservatively at first and you'll have your Spark for a few years of fun.

Reactions: Haggi and Spark 317
How many times has a pilot forgotten there's a "pause" button "||" on the remote? When you get in too hot, hit pause and Sparky will stop whatever it's doing and freeze on the spot.

Stay in "beginner" mode for the first several flights. Read manuals, watch YouTube (Ty is the man).

Forget about using hand gestures. They don't work. For best experience, fly out in wide open spaces, away from spurious interference. Fly conservatively at first and you'll have your Spark for a few years of fun.
That's the best advice right there. Find a nice, big space with no trees and have fun learning. Play with the various buttons and modes so you know what to expect. Get familioar with the controls so you know how to make it do what you want....trickier than it sounds when the controls are all reversed when it's flying towards or parallel to you. The DJI videos were very informative for me as well.... being a green noobie. I learned you can still control it with the R/C when it is auto landing for adjustments, pause button is a lifesaver, and remember.....when something goes wrong (and it inevitably will) stay calm, don't panic, and try to wrestle control back. It will go into ATTI mode and start drifting with the wind, or just take off on you....but you CAN (usually) still control it. Now that I've scared you...go have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: RotorWash
Looking at the fourth picture with the controller and range extender, you have the extender on backwards. Maybe you did that just for the picture but I had to mention it. Always keep the antennas perpendicular to the drone while flying. Have fun.;)
Thanks bud, there were pictures that the seller sent me. I understand keeping the antennas perpendicular to the craft and not flying above the RC. How would I use the range extender and are they even necessary?

I am looking to get a OTG cable but am confused. On the DJI store they list four cables, two I can disregard, but have got a choice of these two, which one to get? I assume the standard?
  • Reverse Micro USB connector
  • Standard Micro USB connector

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

You need a micro USB on one end to connect to your controller and the other end needs to connect to whatever phone/tablet you are using... USB-C, Apple, micro USB...

Thanks bud, there were pictures that the seller sent me. I understand keeping the antennas perpendicular to the craft and not flying above the RC. How would I use the range extender and are they even necessary?

Do a search on YouTube for "DJI Spark range extender". You will find a lot of information and demonstrations on how well they work and how to use them properly. Please, do yourself a big favor and watch a lot of YouTube videos on flying your Spark before you go out to fly. It could mean the difference between a great experience or a great loss. These drones are not toys and should be flown with great care for all reasons and if you start out knowing what to expect, you will have a much better time flying it.

I have to ask this though. Is this your first drone ever?

Reactions: RotorWash
I am looking to get a OTG cable but am confused. On the DJI store they list four cables, two I can disregard, but have got a choice of these two, which one to get? I assume the standard?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
I learned the hard way...it has to be an OTG cable....just a regular micro USB won't work.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Here are the cables that I have purchased.

Each one for a different device.

Two Droids with different USB's and one Apple lightning connection.

Micro USB.

USB-C.

Apple lightning.

I have the cables in my bag just in case my primary device (mini4) is low on battery and I can switch to one of the Droids if needed.

Might be a good idea to purchase 2 cables so you have a spare JIC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast