Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Fly always how common?

Nicola Kleiser

Join
Jun 24, 2017
Loc
UK
There seems to be an increase in fly always on the dji forum. I’m only an occasional flyer and have never let the drone go far. I find it quite limiting to find flying locations that are allowed.
I’m also concerned about it flying away. Are these fly always genuine or are they caused by pushing the spark beyond it limits?

I’ve noticed mine drifts a little, but I’ve not recalibrated as it says not to, unless prompted. Also had two compass errors flash up. As soon as they did I landed and restarted everything and no further issue...
I’ve not flown with my new phone either. My old iPhone 6 started it was at maximum cpu. The iPhone X still isn’t an approved device.

Are these fly always genuine or are they caused by pushing the spark beyond it limits?
In most cases, the pilots took off near a magnetic metal object, were flying in heavy winds, did nothing to attempt to bring the Spark back to the home point, or aren't sure how to bring the Spark back to the home point. If you review each case you encounter carefully, you'll usually discover some type of pilot error was involved.

Last edited:
Only going to address Spark Flyaways... not flyaways in general.

My personal opinion/observation is that you "may" see more Spark flyaways because its marketed and appeals to the first time Drone owner. And when you read through their flyaway posts, you'll see its usually Pilot Error, usually... They are too much in a hurry to get in the air they don't take the time to learn about drone in detail to be a knowledgeable pilot...

It is so surprising that right after Christmas when a lot of people got the spark as their first drone and fly them without much clue, there is such an increase in fly away reports.. Or the increase of Youtube Videos of people crashing or watering their new drones.

It is so surprising that right after Christmas when a lot of people got the spark as their first drone and fly them without much clue, there is such an increase in fly away reports.. Or the increase of Youtube Videos of people crashing or watering their new drones.
Well said...I wish I had a dollar for every RECENT new owner fly away that was water & wind related. Here in the Northeast we have unprecedented winds for the last 2 weeks. I won't even take my I2 up in the weather.

I’ve seen a post on another forum where the Spark took off never to be seen again. After looking at the flight log the owner took off after four seconds of powering up.... that right there is the problem with a lot of the 'flyaways'. No patience for the time it takes to get gps, or record home point.

I’ve seen a post on another forum where the Spark took off never to be seen again. After looking at the flight log the owner took off after four seconds of powering up.... that right there is the problem with a lot of the 'flyaways'. No patience for the time it takes to get gps, or record home point.
Then on the other-hand...this looks like a legit fly away:

DJI Spark lost connection

I’ve noticed mine drifts a little, but I’ve not recalibrated as it says not to, unless prompted. Also had two compass errors flash up. As soon as they did I landed and restarted everything and no further issue...
I’ve not flown with my new phone either. My old iPhone 6 started it was at maximum cpu. The iPhone X still isn’t an approved device.
iPhone X Support! Yay!
Looks like there is an update. . . .

Yeah, but does DJI advise not to?
I agree with you, but at least if it were land he made have been able to retrieve it. IMO these Sparks are way too unreliable to fly in areas where it makes retrieval impossible (i.e. water)

I agree. The downward sensor confuses it. If people want to fly over water, they need to be at a d3cent altitude.

Complete newbie, have 6 flights, almost an hour. Got the hang of it, with my Android phone, have gotten it up to 168 feet, and have had no issues whatsoever. I land with my hand outstretched. Solid machine.

195 flights since the first of October - zero fly-aways.
However, I have seen slight drifts before and since I have been flying toys and DYI craft on manual, no GPS guidance, I knew how to handle the drift.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d beard