Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Fly always how common?

Thanks for taking a look...myself and others thought the same as you.

Almost sounds like a pre 0600 firmware condition.
The past forums from September mentioned a lot about Sparks just falling out of the sky.
A YouTuber documented it:

I have not seen this with Firmware 0600 and beyond.

Some fly-aways are genuine. But from what I've seen all can be prevented with a decent amount of reading, the spark can be an out of the box flyer, but it isn't as advertised if you want anything remotely safe.

50+ flights that I have record of, a few dozen I haven't taken pictures or recorded during so I haven't recorded them personally. But just a few days ago I had a compass error in a spot I've flown 80% of those flights in before, safely got it back to land, in the grass mind you, but still safely back.

They are not common, but can happen to anyone. So the consistency of them is amplified 10-fold by any forum, you shouldn't be worried, just prepared.

Some fly-aways are genuine. But from what I've seen all can be prevented with a decent amount of reading, the spark can be an out of the box flyer, but it isn't as advertised if you want anything remotely safe.

50+ flights that I have record of, a few dozen I haven't taken pictures or recorded during so I haven't recorded them personally. But just a few days ago I had a compass error in a spot I've flown 80% of those flights in before, safely got it back to land, in the grass mind you, but still safely back.

They are not common, but can happen to anyone. But the consistency of them is amplified 10-fold by any forum, you shouldn't be worried, just prepared.
The most recent rash of incidents here and on the Mavic forum are new pilots going right into Sport Mode out of the box and wondering why OA did not prevent them from hitting a tree

Almost sounds like a pre 0600 firmware condition.
The past forums from September mentioned a lot about Sparks just falling out of the sky.
A YouTuber documented it:

I have not seen this with Firmware 0600 and beyond.
That looks staged to me....

Back in August 2017 before the mandatory update, sparks were falling.

Here's another video...

The Home Point has been updated, please check the ground :eek:.

Reactions: pmshop
Hi,

Since we are on the subject :) I've had two Sparks flyaway in the space of 6 weeks, I've owned "A" spark for 8 months, no trouble, loved it and now this. DJI replaced the first away, but the unit they supplied arrived faulty, had to return it, they replaced the mainboard and gimbal. I had it back for 24 hours, 2nd flight and whooooshhhhhh! it's gone, just dropped off the radar, so to say. Started the whole DJI support, process. The strange thing is, I already own a Mavic pro, I've had all this trouble and yet i'm not put off by the Spark, even if DJI refuse to supply a replacement, I will most likely go out and buy another Spark ;-) love the Spark.

Hi,

Since we are on the subject :) I've had two Sparks flyaway in the space of 6 weeks, I've owned "A" spark for 8 months, no trouble, loved it and now this. DJI replaced the first away, but the unit they supplied arrived faulty, had to return it, they replaced the mainboard and gimbal. I had it back for 24 hours, 2nd flight and whooooshhhhhh! it's gone, just dropped off the radar, so to say. Started the whole DJI support, process. The strange thing is, I already own a Mavic pro, I've had all this trouble and yet i'm not put off by the Spark, even if DJI refuse to supply a replacement, I will most likely go out and buy another Spark ;-) love the Spark.

Did you get a log from your phone/ tablet?
Instructions how to get them and log reader:
DJI Flight Log Viewer

I also had troubles from the get go but was not put off.
No homepoint set/ GPS lock even after a 10 minute flight.

Did you get a log from your phone/ tablet?
Instructions how to get them and log reader:
DJI Flight Log Viewer

I also had troubles from the get go but was not put off.
No homepoint set/ GPS lock even after a 10 minute flight.
Did yours decide to go on holiday too? :) I think my Sparks don't like me for some reason. Yes i have got a log and I did follow the instructions thank you, it's the most boring log, like nothing happens, the log just stops about 600 meters away, unlike the first fly away, where there were " Yaw" errors all over the place, just before losing connection. After looking at the logs for the 1st fly away back in Jan, it's funny the unit slows down and then speeds away at 20 mph. I've got my fingers crossed DJI will replace the unit and fast. I hate being without the Spark.

Did yours decide to go on holiday too? :) I think my Sparks don't like me for some reason. Yes i have got a log and I did follow the instructions thank you, it's the most boring log, like nothing happens, the log just stops about 600 meters away, unlike the first fly away, where there were " Yaw" errors all over the place, just before losing connection. After looking at the logs for the 1st fly away back in Jan, it's funny the unit slows down and then speeds away at 20 mph. I've got my fingers crossed DJI will replace the unit and fast. I hate being without the Spark.

Naw, at the time I had about 90 hours of manual flight time and knew how to fly without assistance modes.
Just so frustrating when early on, advice for GPS was "make sure you are not near power lines...etc...".
LOL, went right to DJI and they replaced the unit with a new in a week.

No loss of GPS sats?

post a link to your log results.
The website saves your results and you can post your findings through the link.

Cool, I can fly manual, the issue was, the remote LED turned red, so i could have guided it back, if the remote was connected and if line of site was a tad bit clearer(cough, cough)! lol.

Let me share the log with, for the fun of it.

This is the first fly away in Jan.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

This is the one i had Thursday:

Please let me know if you notice anything of interest.

Cheers

Cool, I can fly manual, the issue was, the remote LED turned red, so i could have guided it back, if the remote was connected and if line of site was a tad bit clearer(cough, cough)! lol.

Let me share the log with, for the fun of it.

This is the first fly away in Jan.

This is the one i had Thursday:

Please let me know if you notice anything of interest.

Cheers

Going to be hard pressed to get DJI to budge on the latter.
1st one was quite clear - loaded with faults.

You are correct, quite uneventful.
Even no "lost link" message :eek:

I didn't think of the " lost link message" your right that would help. :-( that said, how would you imagine DJI could explain where the aircraft end it's journey? these are the only logs I've looked at, thanks to you guys with link and all. But I would expect a regular log where the air craft returns and lands and all that good stuff, would be recorded?

I am 100% sure my iphone was showing the "Weak Signal" message across the top of the DJi Go 4 app, but looking at the flight record and playing over on the phone, there's nothing there about a weak signal, Oh NO!! i could be in trouble here :-( But look on the bright side I wont have to wait a week to get a replacement I can go out and buy one off the shelf LOL...

Reactions: pmshop
I didn't think of the " lost link message" your right that would help. :-( that said, how would you imagine DJI could explain where the aircraft end it's journey? these are the only logs I've looked at, thanks to you guys with link and all. But I would expect a regular log where the air craft returns and lands and all that good stuff, would be recorded?

Very true.
Better stuff when it returns.
Like my 10 minute flight with no homepoint recorded.
I truly believe that is what did it for me.

...and now second thought, that lack of "lost link" might be your redeemer.
Lost link would suggest too far or interference.
Something that DJI is not liable for.
But lots of GPS sats and a "weak GPS signal" warning mixed with just flying off the scope just might be the trick - not to get your hopes up that is.

Reactions: GafUK
Yea, that Home point you had is what I got on my first fly away, something I didn't mention, on my first flyaway, I had updated the firmware a couple of hours before the fatal flight, maybe that had something to do with it.
More importantly, on the first fly away, I spent like 3 hours in the cold, walking through these fields looking for the Spark, I was using the last known location according to the DJI app. Which was basically right on the spot, where the red line starts. So basically i'm not saying the Spark landed at the end of the red line marker but it might not have been far from it. But as it happens i was looking in the wrong place, ****, this little flight log reading setup you guys have here is potentially offering a lot more information then the app does.

Thanks for setting this up. Thumbs up to whoever set it up.

Thanks for setting this up. Thumbs up to whoever set it up.

He is in here somewhere.
I think it was going from firmware 0600 to 0701 the reader stopped working.
I mentioned it in here and the author got right on it.
Back up and running within a few hours.

Just can't remember his screen name.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d beard