Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying indoors: Don't do it.

My first flight was in side and I created this shot. I told my kids to lie down and not move and my daughter and I are the only ones who did. I’m an idiot. Hope you like my pic.

Looks like the Elf on the Shelf is now a Narc in the Spark :).

My first flight was in side and I created this shot. I told my kids to lie down and not move and my daughter and I are the only ones who did. I’m an idiot. Hope you like my pic.

****. Looks like a crime scene photo. ;)

Lol! Did you see my wife’s homage to Stranger Things?

After a second glance, yes.

Cool.

Hope they don't blink messages from the upside down :p.

Reactions: Chris Zeller
After a second glance, yes.

Cool.

Hope they don't blink messages from the upside down :p.

It should be okay to blink, I didn't see any weeping angels.

Spark immediately drifted to the right before I had a chance to land it (trying as hard as possible with the left stick down). Collided with chair, ripped one propeller clean off of its mounting piece (I had to fish the plastic out of the motor), and a second propeller sliced down the middle. Also, a nice gouge in my thumb trying to save the thing. Good thing I have the Fly More combo, so a simple fix to replace two of the props.

Thanks, DJI.

Taking a gamble here before reading all replies: This is all on you, so thank yourself for the outcome. I've had my Spark for about a week and have flown inside my house - through hallways, bedrooms against walls (prop guards on) and in and out of the kitchen sink. I think DJI has created the impression that anyone new to drones can fly one out of the box. Even with the Spark, this is not the case. Remember, *you actually have to learn to fly* the quadcopter. This is why many of us learned to fly a cheap toy quadcopter first before moving on to DJI drones. You have to be proficient in atti mode (or full manual) if you want to fly quadcopters, IMO. Keep practicing your skills!

Taking a gamble here before reading all replies: This is all on you, so thank yourself for the outcome. I've had my Spark for about a week and have flown inside my house - through hallways, bedrooms against walls (prop guards on) and in and out of the kitchen sink. I think DJI has created the impression that anyone new to drones can fly one out of the box. Even with the Spark, this is not the case. Remember, *you actually have to learn to fly* the quadcopter. This is why many of us learned to fly a cheap toy quadcopter first before moving on to DJI drones. You have to be proficient in atti mode (or full manual) if you want to fly quadcopters, IMO. Keep practicing your skills!

If DJI wanted to give me an ATTI toggle so I could practice, I’d take full responsibility. But there’s no way, so I’ll stick with my being at around 85% responsible. :)

What happens when the drone switches between GPS and ATTI inside a house?

Reactions: Vilco
Other than my dog trying to eat it/flee as fast as he can from it once he realizes he can't eat it I've had no issues flying inside

Reactions: leatherneck6017
Since I got my Spark January 2nd. I can only fly it in our living room. I have the controller. So far so good. We don't have a huge space with high sealings.
I can't wait for warmer weather and fly it outdoors.
Here is a selfie we did the other day.

Attachments

• DJI_0004-C.jpg
    DJI_0004-C.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 68
I fly indoors all the time. I have taught two SWAT team operators to fly indoors as well. Not sure what was going on with your unit, but we've flown close to a hundred hours indoors in office and industrial environments with no problems like what you described.

Ditto. fly indoors all time, no problems (haven't trained any SWAT guys though :))

Thanks for the post. I was also having it drifting unstably indoor and I didn't know it could be the cause of the compass. It drifted so much that it hit my kitchen cabinet but luckily nothing serious happened. Well prop guards definitely helped. Remember when flying indoor put on those guards. Have a pleasant flight to all pilots out there. Chill out.

I have to admit... I'm frustrated.

I got my Spark a week-or-so ago, and have flown it a few times outside without issue. I was nervous to fly inside because ATTI-flying is scary based on what I'd read. I like to do as much research as I can, you see.

However, I just got this delightful email from DJI with a link to this page that put my mind COMPLETELY at ease.

Essential Tips for Flying Spark Indoors

OK, great! Prop guards on - nothing bad can happen! Bright room, winning!

Spark took off.

Spark immediately drifted to the right before I had a chance to land it (trying as hard as possible with the left stick down). Collided with chair, ripped one propeller clean off of its mounting piece (I had to fish the plastic out of the motor), and a second propeller sliced down the middle. Also, a nice gouge in my thumb trying to save the thing. Good thing I have the Fly More combo, so a simple fix to replace two of the props.

Thanks, DJI.
It sounds like your
I have to admit... I'm frustrated.

I got my Spark a week-or-so ago, and have flown it a few times outside without issue. I was nervous to fly inside because ATTI-flying is scary based on what I'd read. I like to do as much research as I can, you see.

However, I just got this delightful email from DJI with a link to this page that put my mind COMPLETELY at ease.

Essential Tips for Flying Spark Indoors

OK, great! Prop guards on - nothing bad can happen! Bright room, winning!

Spark took off.

Thanks, DJI.
Flying indoors is not a problem if you have ensured that the IMU and compass calibration is ok. You may also need to check your stick calibration too. I have no issues flying indoors and in quite restricted areas but I do check IMU regularly.

If DJI wanted to give me an ATTI toggle so I could practice, I’d take full responsibility. But there’s no way, so I’ll stick with my being at around 85% responsible. :)

What happens when the drone switches between GPS and ATTI inside a house?
My experience with that was not good. Let me explain......
I had just got my Spark and took it to work with me , because of the weather here in Ohio , there was no way I would fly any of my drones outside last week. We have a nice size warehouse with 30 foot ceilings and its pretty empty at this time of the year. I started my Spark and it said I was in ATTI mode and I took off. It was very stable so started to fly around a bit .Top speed was very slow , I could almost walk that fast , which was ok . Every once in a while it would sped up for an instant (millisecond) and slow right back down. I flew the length of the warehouse , turned around and came back at myself . As it got closer I wanted to just barely fly over my head as it passed . As soon as it was about a foot above and a foot away , it sped up and almost hit the top of my head . Well I wont do that again. lol .
The next day I was showing my buddy at work how it handled inside , we both have mavics . It was flying around normally and I took my eye off of it for a second as it was heading straight away from me , and it took off full speed right into a wall before I could do anything. It then dropped down to the rail road track and on the rocks surrounding them. I couldnt believe how fast it went from 2 mph to 32 mph and how it covered the 20 yards to the wall in a second. The only damage was a prop guard got bent and a scratch on the side of the camera and gimbal. I am thinking it kicked into GPS mode at those times . This is something they should fix in their software .Or have a switch for indoor flying .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502