Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying indoors: Don't do it.

I have a constant warning that says no GPS signal when I try and fly inside. As soon as I step two feet out of the house I am fine. Any way to boost the signal on the inside without spending a fortune?

I have to admit... I'm frustrated.

I got my Spark a week-or-so ago, and have flown it a few times outside without issue. I was nervous to fly inside because ATTI-flying is scary based on what I'd read. I like to do as much research as I can, you see.

However, I just got this delightful email from DJI with a link to this page that put my mind COMPLETELY at ease.

Essential Tips for Flying Spark Indoors

OK, great! Prop guards on - nothing bad can happen! Bright room, winning!

Spark took off.

Spark immediately drifted to the right before I had a chance to land it (trying as hard as possible with the left stick down). Collided with chair, ripped one propeller clean off of its mounting piece (I had to fish the plastic out of the motor), and a second propeller sliced down the middle. Also, a nice gouge in my thumb trying to save the thing. Good thing I have the Fly More combo, so a simple fix to replace two of the props.

Thanks, DJI.
I flied it several times indoor but last time the same happened for me as well! It started to shift side way and no control! Hit the plant chopped the plant's leaves and crashed one propeller ripped!

I have a constant warning that says no GPS signal when I try and fly inside. As soon as I step two feet out of the house I am fine. Any way to boost the signal on the inside without spending a fortune?

NO.

The Spark receives GPS signals from the satellites.
You'd have to increase there transmitting power.

Or you could remove your roof so the Spark can see the sky :rolleyes:.

Reactions: lightbg

The same happened to me yesterday. We had 35 cm snow dump yesterday. GPS signal was lost when indoor.

The worst possible flight mode for indoor is tripod mode.
Why?
Because if it fails seeing floor texture or the light goes out, it will go to atti mode, which means it suddenly flies at least 16 times faster.
The best way to avoid such a surprise, would be locking it to atti mode, and in lack of that, sport mode.

How 16 times faster?
Top speed in tripod mode is 3.6km/h, while it is at least 60km/h in atti mode.

I totally disable my GPS with thick aluminum tape. Although it's said DJI can tell, I'm not exactly sure how if your only doing it for flying indoors.

39635793212_41db12ef8e_c.jpg

Taking a gamble here before reading all replies: This is all on you, so thank yourself for the outcome. I've had my Spark for about a week and have flown inside my house - through hallways, bedrooms against walls (prop guards on) and in and out of the kitchen sink. I think DJI has created the impression that anyone new to drones can fly one out of the box. Even with the Spark, this is not the case. Remember, *you actually have to learn to fly* the quadcopter. This is why many of us learned to fly a cheap toy quadcopter first before moving on to DJI drones. You have to be proficient in atti mode (or full manual) if you want to fly quadcopters, IMO. Keep practicing your skills!
I agree 100%. I watched a guy take a brand new Mavic and destroy it because he had no idea what he was doing. Had never touched a quad before. Same goes for the Spark. If you can't fly a quad full manual then you are not a drone pilot. None of these quads fly themselves.

You don't fly in gps mode indoors. People should not buy any dji quad if they hav3 never flown before. They just break them or they end up on eBay in a week. [emoji44] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji12]

Reactions: Dezskillz
I agree 100%. I watched a guy take a brand new Mavic and destroy it because he had no idea what he was doing. Had never touched a quad before. Same goes for the Spark. If you can't fly a quad full manual then you are not a drone pilot. None of these quads fly themselves.
You don't fly in gps mode indoors. People should not buy any dji quad if they hav3 never flown before. They just break them or they end up on eBay in a week. [emoji44] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji12]

I got a Mavic and a Spark the same week. Never flown a drone before. Have only had one incident and that was because DJI told me flying indoors is totally fine with prop guards.

Also, I don't see anything on DJI's site about not buying a DJI quad if we've never flown before.

I got a Mavic and a Spark the same week. Never flown a drone before. Have only had one incident and that was because DJI told me flying indoors is totally fine with prop guards.

Also, I don't see anything on DJI's site about not buying a DJI quad if we've never flown before.
Of course not they just want to sell drones. And if you cannot fly a quad without gps and altitude hold then you are not a drone pilot period.

Of course not they just want to sell drones. And if you cannot fly a quad without gps and altitude hold then you are not a drone pilot period.
That's the most ignorant statement I've ever read. So since I didn't start out flying $30 Walmart toys, I'm not a drone pilot?

People who drive with traction control and abs are not real drivers either

There you go hhhh

It was kinda of nerve wracking when it was taking the 360 photo but surprisingly hovered very stable. I won’t push my luck though.
When you take the 360 pano and complete the image on the phone, the resolution is not good.......if you take all 46 photos to a program on a desktop and stitch them there, the results will be amazing.........

When you take the 360 pano and complete the image on the phone, the resolution is not good.......if you take all 46 photos to a program on a desktop and stitch them there, the results will be amazing.........
Which program would I use?

Which program would I use?
Dude... if you didn't start with editing tools in the 4th century please stay away from them. They will realise you are not a pro and the program will self destruct within 5sec.

Sorry for the not so helpful post but some people need to get their head out of a very shady place...

Reactions: Sparky5332

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502