Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying indoors: Don't do it.

WilliamG

Join
Jan 11, 2018
I have to admit... I'm frustrated.

I got my Spark a week-or-so ago, and have flown it a few times outside without issue. I was nervous to fly inside because ATTI-flying is scary based on what I'd read. I like to do as much research as I can, you see.

However, I just got this delightful email from DJI with a link to this page that put my mind COMPLETELY at ease.

https://store.dji.com/guides/flying...llid=185024&sc_lid=69234936&sc_uid=Mo6ZWpXSg5

OK, great! Prop guards on - nothing bad can happen! Bright room, winning!

Spark took off.

Spark immediately drifted to the right before I had a chance to land it (trying as hard as possible with the left stick down). Collided with chair, ripped one propeller clean off of its mounting piece (I had to fish the plastic out of the motor), and a second propeller sliced down the middle. Also, a nice gouge in my thumb trying to save the thing. Good thing I have the Fly More combo, so a simple fix to replace two of the props.

Thanks, DJI.

Reactions: sinaus
I have to admit... I'm frustrated.

I got my Spark a week-or-so ago, and have flown it a few times outside without issue. I was nervous to fly inside because ATTI-flying is scary based on what I'd read. I like to do as much research as I can, you see.

However, I just got this delightful email from DJI with a link to this page that put my mind COMPLETELY at ease.

Essential Tips for Flying Spark Indoors

OK, great! Prop guards on - nothing bad can happen! Bright room, winning!

Spark took off.

Spark immediately drifted to the right before I had a chance to land it (trying as hard as possible with the left stick down). Collided with chair, ripped one propeller clean off of its mounting piece (I had to fish the plastic out of the motor), and a second propeller sliced down the middle. Also, a nice gouge in my thumb trying to save the thing. Good thing I have the Fly More combo, so a simple fix to replace two of the props.

Thanks, DJI.

I fly indoors all the time. I have taught two SWAT team operators to fly indoors as well. Not sure what was going on with your unit, but we've flown close to a hundred hours indoors in office and industrial environments with no problems like what you described.

I flew inside one night recently and it hit something and damaged the front. Nothing is malfunctioning but I'm certainly pissed off at myself. 1515693171269.jpg

You definitely need to have some space for the initial launch when in ATTI mode. The Spark will drift a few feet, or more once it takes off. I've personally flown mine quite a bit inside my house. While it can be a bit of a challenge, it's certainly do-able. One thing I always do is set it to tripod mode as soon as I've got it stabilized in the air. I also fly with obstacle avoidance off.

Sorry you had a bad experience, though.

edit: Oh, and I use the sun shade from this accessory pack for front protection indoors.

Reactions: kentlim26
I flew inside one night recently and it hit something and damaged the front. Nothing is malfunctioning but I'm certainly pissed off at myself. View attachment 2734

New bumber sticker..." Spark Happens :mad: ! "

A dremal tool or an emery board may be able to fix that.

Take care to cover up the nooks and crannies before sanding particles into the Spark.

Or leave it as is and you'll have a Spark with character plus a story to go with it :).

Reactions: Kidroc and lightbg
New bumber sticker..." Spark Happens :mad: ! "

A dremal tool or an emery board may be able to fix that.

Take care to cover up the nooks and crannies before sanding particles into the Spark.

Or leave it as is and you'll have a Spark with character plus a story to go with it :).
Spark Happens! I'm not good with my hands so I won't be able to fix it myself... And I opted not to go for care refresh, which perhaps I should've done. Oh well! Character it is :)

Reactions: Tilak and Spark 317
I fly my Spark indoors at least 95% of the time. I specifically bought it for that, have a Mavic and P4P for outside flying. The only issues I've ever had were when I put it in sport mode, things got pretty exciting for a little bit! Now that I've gotten the hang of it, sport mode doesn't bother me either.

Mine is pretty solid indoors, a little movement from the prop wash bouncing off the walls but on the whole very easily managed. I don't know why you had a bad experience but it might have just been a one off bit of buffeting..

I flew inside one night recently and it hit something and damaged the front. Nothing is malfunctioning but I'm certainly pissed off at myself. View attachment 2734

I would try a small set of side cutting pliers to get rid of that nub hanging down, just so there is no possible chance of it breaking off and interfering with the gimbal. Or a heavy duty nail clip.

Jake

Reactions: descend78
I would try a small set of side cutting pliers to get rid of that nub hanging down, just so there is no possible chance of it breaking off and interfering with the gimbal. Or a heavy duty nail clip.

Jake
Was thinking of glue. It's fairly flimsy-feeling.

O.K. Go with a thin bead of Gorilla Glue and let it set good. I wouldn't use a crazy glue derivative due to the proximity of the gimbal and sensor pack.
Yup that's the idea. I have some gorilla glue - I think - but if not, that's the stuff I'll get. I might just say shag it and not bother, however... It doesn't affect anything either way...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johny parker