Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

For all those with "Fly away" fears please read.

I synced them as told by dji not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Syncing the flight logs won't delete them locally. Perhaps you're not looking in the correct location?

I'm a new Spark owner, and had my first outdoor flight last weekend. I'd been dreading this as my last quad (an Emax Nighhawk) did a very rapid fly-off on its maiden flight. I needn't have worried as the Spark behaved itself impeccably. Other than me confusing the 'land' button on the app with the RTH button on the remote, I don't think things could have gone smoother :)

Reactions: Lastrexking
I'm a new Spark owner, and had my first outdoor flight last weekend. I'd been dreading this as my last quad (an Emax Nighhawk) did a very rapid fly-off on its maiden flight. I needn't have worried as the Spark behaved itself impeccably. Other than me confusing the 'land' button on the app with the RTH button on the remote, I don't think things could have gone smoother :)
Nice to hear a positive story...thanks!

While I would likely buy a new one right away if it disappeared, it's still $400 flying way up there. It doesn't seem all that disposable at that price point. I can sympathize with worrying about fly away.

Although the idea of a flyaway scares me, the various stories of flyaways are a positive thing, IMO. It's taught me a lot of do's and don't's for the Spark- such as how important a good compass reading is, and best practice should anything go wrong. I've learnt a lot more about manual flight and I don't rely on RTH any more, just in case something goes wrong with the compass or GPS.

I think the best approach is: not to fear the fear itself. Sparky was meant to fly, and that is what mine will do. I won't take stupid risks, but I'm certainly not grounding it for fear of a flyaway.

I will check this myself next time I start it up, but there is an audio voice saying "Launch" (or something) right after I start propellers. Does that voice do that whether home point is set? If it does it without a home point set, they should probably consider changing it.

I always and MEAN ALWAYS, manually set the home point and then check to make sure it's set on the map. I know this won't save me if it goes into ATTI mode (that's what cheap drones are for) but I know the home point is properly set. Yes it may take an extra 45 seconds but it give me piece of mind.

Reactions: alex_hidrobo
Took my spark out for the first time today. It went flawlessly! First battery I flew in beginner mode, then the 2nd I took off beginner mode and went up to 200 feet and flew around the park. The third battery I tried out sport mode for a minute but took it out of that mode fairly quickly. Can't wait for my battery pack to come in the mail Thursday so I can fly longer.

Just for reference I was connected to the Remote Control via WiFi on my galaxy note 8.

Last edited:
I also use a note 8 and have no issues at all. Spark flies as it should, given the limitations of the hardware it's an amazing little UAV. I have found it is not a big fan of wind, and knowing how to fly in ATTI mode is a must.

My zteblade Max works great, over 3 hours of flight, not drops, nothing. Latest firmware and app version. Even flew it inside, no problems. I don't have a r c yet, maybe is why indoors was fine, I was pretty comfortable with controllers. One time it was acting a little weird, and all I did was grab it's belly, and turn it over. Problem solved.

I had an almost-flyaway today, actually. First time it's ever happened to me. I was putzing about with my drone and I decided to try a directional Tapfly towards a local hillside. The drone went off very nicely, going in the right direction, but when it had gone as far as I wished it to go, I paused it, and I noticed it was yawing slightly to the right- very slowly spinning in place. Weird, I thought, and then it pitched off to the right, and my tablet gave the audio warning that the craft had entered atti mode. It was at a far distance, but I knew it was facing away from me, so I used the right hand joystick and reversed it back to me and reduced its height. During the flight back, it regained GPS, but I landed it, restarted it and calibrated the compass. I did another 25 minutes of flight without any problems.

The flight records were interesting though- they did not record the craft entering atti mode at any time during the flight! However, just before it entered atti mode according to me, the video feed suddenly shudders, as if the spark hit something. At the point where it regained GPS, the flight record says it briefly entered opti mode for a second before going back to GPS. Weird. I am wondering if a bug hit the propellers and the sudden change in movement confused the compass, since there was nothing nearby that could cause interference.

Anyway...the point is that due to all the folks who post here with their flyaway stories, I was able to stay calm and rescue my Hoverbee before she was gone over the horizon. So many, many thanks to everyone for your help. I'm very sorry if your Sparky was lost or damaged, but I am very grateful that your stories enabled me to save mine.

Reactions: alex_hidrobo
Not sure why. I launched my spark next to a construction site work office. It has WiFi that my phone connects to automatically. Using only my iPhone as a controller. When the spark WiFi got weaker than my office WiFi the phone switched over to the office WiFi. I thought there was a built in rth when the signal was lost. To my surprise the spark took off on its own and flew out of site. Haven’t seen it since. Make sure your WiFi settings in iOS aren’t in auto connect.

I thought there was a built in rth when the signal was lost.
RTH is only initiated if the remote controller signal is lost (not the connection between your mobile device and the remote controller).

In that case, RTH wouldn't have been initiated until 20 seconds after the connection was lost.

So in theory my spark should be within a 20 second flight from where I lost the connection? I have scoured the location and can’t find it.

So in theory my spark should be within a 20 second flight from where I lost the connection?
Not necessarily. That's only the point where RTH would have been initiated.

Ok so let me get this right. My spark would continue on its current direction until battery depletion because the return to home obviously was not initiated. Which could be who knows how far? It would be somewhere in a state reserve if it followed the straight line it was headed on. It was a very unfortunate loss and I’m not sure if DJI would help in the replacement. Lesson learned (I think)
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast