Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

For Peat's Sake

RotorWash

Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 18, 2019
Loc
P.E.I., Canada
Had an up and about at a peat bog located about 20min from home and thought I'd try out some panos. I was up no more than a few minutes and a band of fog came up fast headed in from the gulf. Seemed to mostly hang along the shoreline so I was able to get some batteries run down. The field (sphagnum peatland) is over 3/4 mile wide by 1 mile long and in some areas runs about 15-20' deep in the stuff. Here's a CBC piece on the operation located there if you're interested.

Here's some panos I got along with a standard shot.

east_gulfisland.jpg

north_gulfisland.jpg

west_gulfisland.jpg

sourth_gulfisland.jpg

souwest_gulfisland.jpg

So interesting and read through the article too. I had no idea how it is harvested-not a good place to be taking a walk (or flyI got a drone) when they are out there grabbing the product with all that dust! Panos look good, I must try some more next time I’m up. Weather broken now for a week at least but got 4 batteries worth yesterday. Lovely. Keep ‘em coming.

Reactions: RotorWash
So interesting and read through the article too. I had no idea how it is harvested-not a good place to be taking a walk (or flyI got a drone) when they are out there grabbing the product with all that dust! Panos look good, I must try some more next time I’m up. Weather broken now for a week at least but got 4 batteries worth yesterday. Lovely. Keep ‘em coming.
Thank you twickers and yes the dust will be pretty wild once they get going out there. I'd like to get some video of it with a mild SW breeze but a sudden change in wind direction could get ugly pretty fast. :)

Nice, RotorWash. Great flying and video capture although my toes were curling pretty tight by the 1:10 mark. :eek: Nice job on the panos too. Thanks for taking the trip and sharing with us.

Very interesting! This spring I was building some garden soil and found no one had any peat moss. When I asked why they said because trade with Canada was slow because of lockdowns. I didn't know that's where we got it from. Thanks for the vid and panos

Very interesting! This spring I was building some garden soil and found no one had any peat moss. When I asked why they said because trade with Canada was slow because of lockdowns. I didn't know that's where we got it from. Thanks for the vid and panos
Thank you sharps45. Although there are a number of different production areas here and in other provinces, this plant does ship to the U.S. and around the world. Much of what we produce here on the Island whether from sea or land is shipped to the good people of the U.S.A! Any reduction in that flow has a big impact on our local economy.

Reactions: sharps45

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh