Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

From Mavic to Spark: How to manage distance flight direction?

snovvman

Join
Dec 30, 2017
Greetings,

I am a Mavic owner. I just bought a Spark [Fly More] because I am sick. The promise of "faster/more convenient getting in the air", "less attention-drawing", "easier to pack and carry", "I own both Mavic and Spark and I fly the Spark much more" and "*more fun*" was too seductive. The reduced flight time does concern me, but like I said, I'm sick. More fun? How? But I digress.

With the Mavic, I use Course Lock and Home Lock often. These are sometimes called the Headless mode. When the QC is sufficiently far away, especially with the sun, it can be hard to determine the direction it is facing. Yes, I can use the camera to figure it out, but it is not always reliable or swift. At that point, kicking the remote into Course Lock allows me to fly confidently because the Mavic will head in the direction I expect, regardless the heading of the camera.

I know the Spark does not have Course Lock/Home Lock. Even when well within the Spark's capable range, the QC's orientation can become indeterminate. At that point, is my only recourse RTH? For the experienced Spark flyers, how do you manage the controls when it is farther away or higher up? How do you control the craft after some panning and get the Spark to go where you want?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The options I know of are
a) look at the radar (or the map) in the go app.
b) tapfly. but the spark will only fly forwards.

If I lose sight of my Spark, I use the attitude indicator at the bottom, left corner of DJI GO to bring it back toward me. Here are a few videos that explain how to use the attitude indicator:

The Spark is no match for the Mavic. My P3A with Litchi even dwarfs the Spark.

Finding where the Spark is best used gets the most out of it. Marketed as a selfie drone, more or less, it's best suited for closeby operation, to capture a different perspective of where you are, and what you're doing.

That said the auto features of the Spark compliment it well. To get more out of it really depends on the pilot, which is the fun part, and the challenge for me.

Panning shots on a fixed target is difficult to do with the stick controls... But I welcome the challenge, and get better flying by not relying on software to do the flying for me. This where the fun part of the Spark is for me. It's always in sight, which reduces some of the stress of more complicated missions, and allows me to grow as a pilot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast