Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

help wanted - panning... how to pan smoothly?

Hi there,

Fly low and fly slow, the camera must hold the position for at least 10 seconds...always follow the ten seconds rule. Also try the ND8 filter and compare it to your normal videos you have already taken and you will see the difference. In tripod mode you will get the best shots. Remember....low and slow.

I can see the 10 sec rule and the neutral density filter may help but low... arghhh! I'm a new spark owner and need to get the height envy out of my system first!!! ;)

I can see the 10 sec rule and the neutral density filter may help but low... arghhh! I'm a new spark owner and need to get the height envy out of my system first!!! ;)
Thats where most pilots make their mistakes. Control is vital and in my opnion the only way to get that is low and slow. This thing could hurt someone falling from the sky, user induced or Spark failure, its all the same. Get good, knowing this little beast and you will definitely enjoy when flying over property, cars and civilians.⚡

Panning is tricky, and the primary reason that I'm thinking of abandoning the spark. I believe it's the two axis gimbal that is the cause. I've owned a Phantom 3 Standard, and still own a Mavic Pro. Both of these pan beautifully because of the three axis gimbal. You still have to be careful, but not hyper careful.
In addition to tripod mode, consider flying in P/GPS mode leaving the obstacle avoidance enabled, and reduce the stick sensitivity. This will slow the already slow 6.5Mph obstacle avoidance enabled speed, but will reduce the sensitivity of the left yaw stick. If you are flying close to objects, or low to the ground 6.5 mph is tolerable.
Also, you don't have to pan. I've studied many of the Spark videos by 'famous' videographers, and they NEVER pan. They rise up, drop down, fly forward while descending (personal favorite), rise up while flying backward (watch for trees), move left to right (rarely). Generally, they fly close to objects, low to the ground, and reveal their subject in layers e.g. rise up from behind a large object to fly by the revealed object to reveal a third object.
They NEVER pan.
Myself, I love the pan look, and with the spark it is a real challenge.

Panning is tricky, and the primary reason that I'm thinking of abandoning the spark. I believe it's the two axis gimbal that is the cause. I've owned a Phantom 3 Standard, and still own a Mavic Pro. Both of these pan beautifully because of the three axis gimbal. You still have to be careful, but not hyper careful.
In addition to tripod mode, consider flying in P/GPS mode leaving the obstacle avoidance enabled, and reduce the stick sensitivity. This will slow the already slow 6.5Mph obstacle avoidance enabled speed, but will reduce the sensitivity of the left yaw stick. If you are flying close to objects, or low to the ground 6.5 mph is tolerable.
Also, you don't have to pan. I've studied many of the Spark videos by 'famous' videographers, and they NEVER pan. They rise up, drop down, fly forward while descending (personal favorite), rise up while flying backward (watch for trees), move left to right (rarely). Generally, they fly close to objects, low to the ground, and reveal their subject in layers e.g. rise up from behind a large object to fly by the revealed object to reveal a third object.
They NEVER pan.
Myself, I love the pan look, and with the spark it is a real challenge.

One like doesn't seem enough for this post! I want to say a massive thank you for putting so much thought into helping a newcomer trying to grapple with all the skills needed to fly the Spark to it's maximum potential, cinematic wise!
Thanks Richard!!!

Reactions: vmitchell85
Several have mentioned filters. Do the filters mentioned interfere with the gimbal? I got a set of filters and they made Panoramas undoable and the gimbal would occasionally bounce.

I think GIMBLE SPEED is slowed in TRIPOD MODE...but I still have mine lowered to 8 for all other shots.
An alternative to Tripod mode that won't affect gimbal speed is to fly in GPS mode with the stick sensitivity slider reduced toward low. This slows the 6.5mph but doesn't affect gimbal speed

the slower you move the better the pan ( video ) will be . i have 2 Yuneec Q 500 4K drone that are AP drone's , they are slow and have a setting that can be set to go from turtle ( slow ) to rabbit ( fast ) setting . the video in turtle when you pan are very good and if you go slow it's super steady . the trick is going as slow as you can .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena