Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How to Hand Launch?

canalrun

Join
Feb 10, 2018
Hello,
I have seen posts that mentioned the term "Hand Launch"

After doing a forum search and looking through the DJI manual, I'm not sure how to perform this.

The DJI manual talks about "Palm Launch" – you hold the Spark in the air, power on, wait for green lights, tap the battery power button twice, the propellers start to spin. But, it doesn't really mention what happens after that except for going into Intelligent Flight Modes.

By "Hand Launch", is this what people are referring to?

Once the propellers start to spin, I would like to lower my hand and have the Spark hover at which point I can start flying using the RC.

Would this basically be the procedure? Or, can someone briefly mention the correct procedure.

Also for ending a flight, should I use the RC to fly the Spark back close to me then grab it out of the air and flip it upside down to turn the propellers off?

Thanks,
Barry.

My "Hand Launch" always involve RC...

Power on and connect everything.
With RC, move both sticks inwards and downwards simultaneously to start propellers.
Launch drone by left stick up..

What happens next is up to pilot ;)

To land in hand?
Position drone in front of you, rear end of drone towards pilot.
Put your hand under drone with some distance to drone.
Left stick down and it will land in your hand.
Continue to hold left stick down until propellers has stopped.

Dont forget to stop video before powering down drone ;)

I use the launch slider on the screen with my left hand as I hold the Spark.
I do have a neck lanyard for the remote so it's easier to do this.
I can't seem to do the button tap thing with the battery. It doesn't work for me.

I don't trust myself programming one the function buttons for launch just in cause I accidentally hit it and the Spark launches when I'm not ready.

I use Haggi's procedure to land as mentioned above and land into my fingers while holding the stick down till the motors shut down.

I know it works only because it's designed too in case the Spark becomes inverted, but you should never flip the Spark upside down like so many have done to kill the motors.

It's not in the owners manual.

The motors (props and gimbal) go through unnecessary stress when flipping it. You can hear and feel the Spark fight it.

And then there's the chance of dropping it on the ground or injuring yourself when doing this.

My "Hand Launch" always involve RC...

Power on and connect everything.
With RC, move both sticks inwards and downwards simultaneously to start propellers.
Launch drone by left stick up..

What happens next is up to pilot ;)

To land in hand?
Position drone in front of you, rear end of drone towards pilot.
Put your hand under drone with some distance to drone.
Left stick down and it will land in your hand.
Continue to hold left stick down until propellers has stopped.

Dont forget to stop video before powering down drone ;)
This is my favourite way to launch & land as well. Try to avoid touching the gimbal when landing on your hand, it is very sensitive.

Hello,
I have seen posts that mentioned the term "Hand Launch"

After doing a forum search and looking through the DJI manual, I'm not sure how to perform this.

The DJI manual talks about "Palm Launch" – you hold the Spark in the air, power on, wait for green lights, tap the battery power button twice, the propellers start to spin. But, it doesn't really mention what happens after that except for going into Intelligent Flight Modes.

By "Hand Launch", is this what people are referring to?

Once the propellers start to spin, I would like to lower my hand and have the Spark hover at which point I can start flying using the RC.

Would this basically be the procedure? Or, can someone briefly mention the correct procedure.

Also for ending a flight, should I use the RC to fly the Spark back close to me then grab it out of the air and flip it upside down to turn the propellers off?

Thanks,
Barry.
Yep, that's basically hand launching it. Once you activate palm launch and the propellors start spinning, the drone lights will let you know when to let go. Your drone will then hover in place with VPS or GPS (assuming you've allowed sufficient time for GPS to lock). Then grab your remote and start flying. Perfect for launching when there's no flat surface around

Pushing the battery button twice while the Spark is facing you should activate FaceAware and begin the auto launch procedure (your mobile device will notify you). When the front lights turn red it will start to ascend and you can let go. To palm land make sure gesture control is active. If there's a question mark on your mobile screen next to the gesture control icon tap it. Then lower the Spark to just above head height, put your palm underneath it and the Spark should slowly descend into your palm (though I grab it with my fingers!).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme