Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How to use a power bank to charge Spark?

DurhamPro

Join
Dec 20, 2017
I have a couple of high powered power banks that I would love to be able to use to charge my Spark in the field. I think I might have found a solution to the problem. It is a bit of a work around but looking for opinions.

EABB8E9B-9EF6-4661-8B00-419DD70D66E8.jpeg 0F27266F-1ACB-4068-9453-BE62E483FD7D.jpeg

This setup is not going to work. The USB to 12V Cigarette adapter you have listed can only output 12V 0.8A. This won't be enough to power the DJI Spark Car charger adapter. It doesn't show exactly the input it needs, but I would say it needs at least 5A to power.

I don't understand how you're planning to use the USB to 12-volt adapter. What sort of power bank are you talking about? I've used a 20000 mah USB power bank and just plugged a USB cable from it into the Spark and it charged the battery.

I also just got one of those 3-in-1 chargers you show in your post and so far it's worked okay charging Spark batteries when it's plugged into the cigarette lighter plug (or whatever people call that 12-volt plug in cars these days, by cracky).

I'm going to be taking my Spark down to my off-grid cabin tomorrow and plan to use the 3-in-1 charger to recharge the Spark batteries using a marine battery I have hooked up to a solar panel there; never had a problem charging any other electronics item that way but I'll let you know if for some reason it doesn't work.

If you don't mind charging one battery at a time, you can actually plug the DJI Spark into the PowerBank with the micro-USB port next to the micro-SD card slot. It can take a 3A charge rate for about 1h20m charge time for one battery. With 2A it's around 1h40m.

I don't understand how you're planning to use the USB to 12-volt adapter. What sort of power bank are you talking about? I've used a 20000 mah USB power bank and just plugged a USB cable from it into the Spark and it charged the battery

I have a couple of 25000 usb power banks I was going to plug the usb to 12 volt in and then connect the 12 volt to spark adapter in to it. I might have to just charge batteries when the spark is on the ground.

I was hoping to charge more than one battery at a time from my powerbank while flying with others. That charge converter looks interesting and light weight but it doesn’t look like Amazon can get it to Canada in time before I fly in a week without costing an arm and a leg.

I have a couple of 25000 usb power banks I was going to plug the usb to 12 volt in and then connect the 12 volt to spark adapter in to it.
OK, got it. I gotta agree with Genchau; not enough amps there.

I looked at the same item you show just above here, but decided for three dollars US more I'd give the 3-in-1 a chance. It definitely charges a battery faster than charging from the Spark's USB port. Dunno if that's good or bad, or how it compares to the official DJI multi-charger charge rate.

Being it was my birthday a couple of weeks back the Mrs bought me this from DJI site. Charge it up and it will Charge 3 batteries, 1 in the drone 1st then it will pick the next battery with the most charge, then the 3rd one. Also has USB output for either the controller or a moble/tablet. Can also be used with the DJI charger and be left on charge in doors. 1524472913785.jpg

Being it was my birthday a couple of weeks back the Mrs bought me this from DJI site. Charge it up and it will Charge 3 batteries, 1 in the drone 1st then it will pick the next battery with the most charge, then the 3rd one. Also has USB output for either the controller or a moble/tablet. Can also be used with the DJI charger and be left on charge in doors. View attachment 4697
Got one works great, and also holds the spark and the batteries very securely

Reactions: FZR750
Never fails, I found the answer but the company won't ship to Canada WTF!
View attachment 4675

Beware, these only work with Quickcharge enabled powerbanks or similarly powerful: I had an old 20000 mAh powerbank and it has never recharged a batttery, then I got a Quickcharge 3.0 powerbank and it does recharge.

Just ordered one of these...from Amazon.

IMG_4378.JPG

Parallel charges and larger battery capacity than the OEM DJI portable charger. A few buck less as well.

Will test and advise.

I saw that one and it looks great, the problem for me is the size and the weight but mostly the weight, It weighs almost 3lbs.

I just ordered this one. It has the weight advantage at just over a pound and with a 110 volt outlet is not limited to being used exclusively for the spark. I will let everyone know what I think of it when it arrives sometime later today. On the Dji Spark forum a gentleman bought this power supply and was able to recharge all 4 of his spark batteries per charge so this should do it for me.

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 10.58.35 AM.png

Charger arrived, looks great so far. I have it on charge and will try it out after I deplete the batteries on Sparky. As an added bonus, the case for the battery charger is a perfect fit for Sparky and a couple of batteries.

IMG_2662.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme