Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I imagine altitude will affect flight time

yycwrangler

Join
Feb 15, 2018
Off to Colorado in 2nd week of Sept. Plan on doing some jeeping and mountain biking in Durango/Ouray/Telluride and Mesa Verde.

In Ouray some of the jeep runs take me to the top of the mountains at around 13000ft (Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass). It will be hard on myself although I live in Calgary at 3600ft so not so bad as someone coming from sea level. I'm not even sure if the altitude will affect my 2014 Jeep..Well see

Never the less..Less air up there so to speak so I imagine it will take more energy and less flight time to fly the spark.

Any thoughts or tips..My idea is to use the spark for some follow me videos in the jeep and then of course the circle around me at the top shots. Have purchased Litchi as well so will have to dig in deeper and see which of the programs has the best autonomy for the actions mentioned above. Just got the spark yesterday/

Cheers
Al
Calgary

The Spark’s maximum operating ceiling is 13,123ft, so you’re going to be pushing it.

All aircraft have a maximum altitude they can reach due to thin air and the amount of lift they can generate in that thin air.

Reactions: 777mjm
With the altitude and winds up there I'd be very wary of using the Spark. The Mavic Pro would be much better suited for the task. Be careful!

Last edited:
Sound like great advice..Thanks everyone. Will have a look at UAV forecast prior to making my decisions

Cheers
Al

Aircraft performance is based on altitude. As you go up in altitude performance tends to go down. The altitude above mean sea level (MSL) that the aircraft is flying (such as 13000 ft,), is probably not the altitude that aircraft performance is being based on. The warmer it is and higher the humidity the higher the density altitude. What that means is if you are flying at 13000 ft. MSL (above sea level) and the local temperature is 58 degrees F. and the due point is 35 degrees F. the airplane fly's (are at least tryies to fly) as if it was at 15900 feet. 13000 ft. MSL would be 13000 Density altitude if you were experiencing a standard day for the altitude you are at. For example standard day at sea level is 59 degrees f. pressure 29.92 in. hg. and 0 percent humidity. Standard day Temperature and pressure goes down with increase in altitude. Density altitude has wrecked many planes and killed many pilots do not let it take your drone. If you can get to the following web page it is a density altitude calculator.

Density Altitude Calculator - English/Metric

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf