Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I Lost My Spark because of 'non fly zone'

Istanbulspark

Join
Mar 5, 2019
Today i was flying seaside over a shopping mall, which is close to an airport, but i was careful and i didn't get close to aircrafts way. My altitude was around 20M, Distance 130M, then suddenly it started losing altitude, i pulled up the throttle all the time and tried to get it back but it kept just going down. So as you see in the picture, when i just entered in the 'red zone' it started falling, i learned it the hard way. What do you think about this..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-23-02-05-17-641_dji.go.v4.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-23-02-05-17-641_dji.go.v4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_2019-04-23-02-05-35-390_dji.go.v4.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-23-02-05-35-390_dji.go.v4.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 191
Today i was flying seaside over a shopping mall, which is close to an airport, but i was careful and i didn't get close to aircrafts way. My altitude was around 20M, Distance 130M, then suddenly it started losing altitude, i pulled up the throttle all the time and tried to get it back but it kept just going down. So as you see in the picture, when i just entered in the 'red zone' it started falling, i learned it the hard way. What do you think about this..

You were flying "close to an airport"?

You were flying in a "No Fly Zone"?

Too close for me.

I see the mall that was 500' from the taxi way, certainly hope it's not that one.

Screenshot_20190423-034657~2.png

Even if at the seaside where the Spark went swimming, it was way too close to a large airport.
Especially since you were in the approach path.

Hopefully you can get another Spark and continue on flying... away from airports.

I don't believe the Spark's software was affected due to entering a no-fly zone but rather a heavy hit by radar. I have an area near my home where my Spark will go atti when ever I go over 150' (also flashing "compass error) but away from that area a few miles and everything works perfectly. I plan routes to shoot prior to reaching a destination where the shoot will occur, using "Red Waypoint", and viola! perfection!

Reactions: Andre Levite
I don't believe the Spark's software was affected due to entering a no-fly zone but rather a heavy hit by radar. I have an area near my home where my Spark will go atti when ever I go over 150' (also flashing "compass error) but away from that area a few miles and everything works perfectly. I plan routes to shoot prior to reaching a destination where the shoot will occur, using "Red Waypoint", and viola! perfection!

The spark will land in a no fly zone. If it's over water, it will land in it.

Reactions: bukssparkie
In my opinion the a DJI drone can be airborne before the software see’s the no fly zone. When that happens the drone lands. I’ve had that happen when I wanted to see what happens about 3 miles from a class D. I was hovering at 5 feet and the warning kicked in and it landed. It had logged the home point before T/O.
I have a remote certification.

In my opinion the a DJI drone can be airborne before the software see’s the no fly zone. When that happens the drone lands. I’ve had that happen when I wanted to see what happens about 3 miles from a class D. I was hovering at 5 feet and the warning kicked in and it landed. It had logged the home point before T/O.

That is quite possible.
I haven't been back since FlySafe 2.0 but my home town airport showed a 1/2 mile core NFZ and a mile outside of that a reduced altitude zone.
The place I took off from was outside that 1/2 mile.
I established a home point, took off and 30 seconds later forced landing - Spark was thinking I was inside the NFZ.

But again since FlySafe 2.0 not sure what would happen now in the same spot.

Typically, the drone will not land if going into a class D. It will throw a warning up and then tell you to fly safe / be careful. The big red areas on the know before you fly are the "no drone zones' An example of one is Washington DC. Your drone will land on the spot, if you are using DJI software and stray into the no drone zone. See attached. I've actually even seen video of this happening to a pilot.

Attachments

• Airmaps-no-fly-zone-Washington-DC-1024x576.jpg
    Airmaps-no-fly-zone-Washington-DC-1024x576.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 68
I'm a bit confused. There are different kinds of NFZs. The GO4 app allows one to fly to certain closeness to airports with the NFZs "unlocked" through the DJI website.. If your drone comes up to the NFZ, and you have NOT unlocked it, the drone just stops. It does not land. So I'm not sure that was the reason for the Spark falling to the ground !

If your drone comes up to the NFZ, and you have NOT unlocked it, the drone just stops. It does not land. So I'm not sure that was the reason for the Spark falling to the ground !

I was wondering about that too.

I've seen a YouTube video of a Phantom flying to the edge of a NFZ and it stopped.
The PIC still had control and was able to safely fly away from it.

Tony-Spark (post #8) suggested radio interference from the airport.

Heck, if Bluetooth can effect the Spark, imagine the signals coming from the approach path of an airport.

It says flight is prevented.

Is that forcing the aircraft to land, or preventing it from flying any further?

It's obvious the motors may not spin up when actually in a red zone when launching.

It says flight is prevented.

Is that forcing the aircraft to land, or preventing it from flying any further?

It's obvious the motors may not spin up when actually in a red zone when launching.

As I said in my own flight experience...you are forced to land.

As I said in my own flight experience...you are forced to land.

And that very much coincides with what the OP said, "i pulled up the throttle all the time and tried to get it back but it kept just going down." I understand they have coded the software/firmware like that but why not give the pilot the option to fly manually to a safe landing position if there is water underneath? Definitely an oversight on DJI's part.

Reactions: tahoejeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme