Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I swallowed my pride and got an iPad.

Putz

Join
Mar 5, 2018
So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?

Reactions: Icemanwbs
I have the same story. Android / PC user myself and the only thing Apple was an iPod or two. Before purchasing the Spark, I read the reviews and found that Apple products tend to work better so I pulled the trigger on the iPad mini 4 as it was the most popular one.

I enjoy the larger display verses my Droids but all seem to work with the Spark.

Reactions: Icemanwbs
There is no swallowing your pride going with the best hardware. I am all Apple because I dislike the google make me the product model. I purchased an A series 7 inch Samsung tablet and before I was able to fly it went back. I took it outside and I could not even see the screen. It asked me 500 questions to get going. Had to play with it for a while to see how to do stuff. The scrolling was choppy. I was surprised at how terrible it was. When I looked up geekbench it was half the speed of the iPad mini. I was shocked they were selling something “current” with such a speed disadvantage. I was thinking Apple was crazy to not update the mini 4 for so long but I saw the competition. The Samsung has gps in the WiFi version and that, to me was a huge advantage. But not so much with all the other trade offs. I get the appeal of Android. But for a dedicated drone, the it just works of the Apple walled garden is a perfect fit. If not cheap.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?
Dumb question do you need to have cell service on the iPad for it to work with the spark? the reason I'm asking is some people say I need service and some say I don't. I'm using the S8 now but would like to have a bigger screen. Thanks

Reactions: windryder
You don't. There are a few different options. You can save maps offline, or connect to a phone Hotspot. I usually just update my maps before I head out. I was using a S9+, switching to a 10" tablet made flying so much better.

You don't. There are a few different options. You can save maps offline, or connect to a phone Hotspot. I usually just update my maps before I head out. I was using a S9+, switching to a 10" tablet made flying so much better.
Thank you

You don’t, but it helps as you can not teather and connect to spark/remote. You must do all your updates at home.

And you must switch back and forth. Wish you could join the spark to your home network. And update from there.

I'm looking right now for the best data plan for the iPad. Since its a cellular version I might take advantage of it.

Hi All,

Wow, this thread is right on target for me! Last Saturday, I was browsing in Best Buy waiting for the wife to finish up in Target next door. While walking around, noticed that Best Buy had the Apple IPad Mini 4 with 128gb on sale that night only for $249, new in the box. Some type of unadvertised Manager's special. Anyway, I bought it as it was a very good price (regular price was $399). Can always return it. Here is where I am at - I've never owned an Apple product in my life, been strictly an Android user forever. I've been using my Android Motorola Moto G5+ phone with good results for my Spark and Mavic Pro flights, but I do long for a bigger screen. The older I get, the harder it is to see all that is happening on that small screen! My two other Android tablets don't have the horsepower to keep up with the DJI GO4 app (lots of stuttering and freezes) so I had been thinking about getting a new smaller form tablet for flight control. Then I saw the Ipad Mini 4 on sale. Is the IPad Mini 4 a good choice? My biggest concern with the Ipad Mini 4 is its relatively old processor, but it seems like it can handle the the Go4 app. Any thoughts? It is still sitting on my desk unopened as I am debating between the Ipad Mini 4 or the Huawei Mediapad M5 (Android). Thanks for your help!

According to this compatible list, the mini4 has well over 100 likes.

The others are less than 100.

The Huawei Mediapad M5 has 12, but it is new to the market (2018), compared to the mini4 (2015).

Decisions, decisions...:)

Hi All,

Wow, this thread is right on target for me! Last Saturday, I was browsing in Best Buy waiting for the wife to finish up in Target next door. While walking around, noticed that Best Buy had the Apple IPad Mini 4 with 128gb on sale that night only for $249, new in the box. Some type of unadvertised Manager's special. Anyway, I bought it as it was a very good price (regular price was $399). Can always return it. Here is where I am at - I've never owned an Apple product in my life, been strictly an Android user forever. I've been using my Android Motorola Moto G5+ phone with good results for my Spark and Mavic Pro flights, but I do long for a bigger screen. The older I get, the harder it is to see all that is happening on that small screen! My two other Android tablets don't have the horsepower to keep up with the DJI GO4 app (lots of stuttering and freezes) so I had been thinking about getting a new smaller form tablet for flight control. Then I saw the Ipad Mini 4 on sale. Is the IPad Mini 4 a good choice? My biggest concern with the Ipad Mini 4 is its relatively old processor, but it seems like it can handle the the Go4 app. Any thoughts? It is still sitting on my desk unopened as I am debating between the Ipad Mini 4 or the Huawei Mediapad M5 (Android). Thanks for your help!
I'm not sure what the mini 4 has for a processor. The gen 5 iPad I picked up has an A9 and it's smokin fast. The guy I bought the drone from was using a mini 3 with very positive results. I know that the dji go app requires at least an A7 processor in apple products.

Mini4=A8, per the list.

Mini4=A8, per the list.
I know there are alot of people on this forum and the MP forum that use and love the mini 4. It fits in the controller without any additional equipment and just plain works. The iPad needs the mavmount, but since I started using it, I actually prefer it this way.

Reactions: Spark 317
I know there are alot of people on this forum and the MP forum that use and love the mini 4. It fits in the controller without any additional equipment and just plain works. The iPad needs the mavmount, but since I started using it, I actually prefer it this way.

Same here.
Not a Mavmount but something suitable as I like the device to be above the controls.

You don’t, but it helps as you can not teather and connect to spark/remote. You must do all your updates at home.

I have been using my iPhone 8 plus but I want a larger screen. I was going to get an iPad mini 4 tonight. I always update my phone and other Apple devices on my computer. Does that mean I don't need to get an iPad with cellular. Flying the Spark is what I really care about, not maps etc.
Thanks

I have been using my iPhone 8 plus but I want a larger screen. I was going to get an iPad mini 4 tonight. I always update my phone and other Apple devices on my computer. Does that mean I don't need to get an iPad with cellular. Flying the Spark is what I really care about, not maps etc.
Thanks

My mini4 is WiFi only and works fine.
No GPS or cellular.

I had resisted Apple for as long as I could, and in the end Apple is better for DJI drones. There's no going back. I even have a DJI Crystalsky, which is Android, and while the screen is MUCH better, and the start up time is MUCH better, there is still lag with this dedicated device. Whenever possible, I use my iPhone 6, or iPad mini 4. They just work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf