Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

If you have a Mavic, why own a Spark?

I also have a Mavic that I'm planning on selling (once a couple early adopter issues are resolved).

It's all about your use case. For mine, the Spark is a no brainer. My analogy is my DSLR, which I'll explain below.

I'm a videography and photography hobbyist. But I found I stopped carrying my DSLR because of weight and size issues. And we're not talking about a professional or prosumer full frame but a Canon Rebel (again which I chose because it was smaller/lighter). My iPhone became good enough because it was always with me. I enjoyed shooting videos and photos, but just as a part of my adventures. It's not THE reason for my adventures.

This has changed recently as I now have a lightweight mirrorless Sony a5100 DSLR. It's small enough that I can fit it in a pocket or in a corner of whatever bag I carry that day. I'm OK that the lenses are not as sharp as my Canon lenses because I wouldn't be carrying a DSLR otherwise.

Spark v. Mavic is similar. I love the Mavic and the video quality. But it's big enough and heavy enough that I have to consciously chose to bring it. Then, when I decide to use it, I have to find a spot to launch, unfold, remove the gimbal cover, remember to remove the gimbal lock, unfold the remote, then launch. The video I get is Prosumer quality but, the best video is the video you take.

I'll carry and use the Spark way more often than I've used my Mavic.

Here's the features I care about:

Usable without controller: One less thing to carry, which will allow me to use it for trips where weight/space is an issue. Like camping or Backpacking.

Micro USB charging: See above. I'll already have a 6 Port USB charging hub for travel and can just plug the Spark into that. Plus for backpacking/camping I'll have a small solar panel

Lightweight: The Spark alone is 70% lighter (1.7lbs!) than Mavic+Controller. Spark+Contoller is about 1.1 lbs lighter (more than 45% lighter) than the Mavic equivalent. My wife won't notice me throwing the 300g Spark into the family daypack for hiking, travel, etc. Also, the Mavic+Controller is way too heavy for Backpacking, for example. Spark is under 11 oz and AC+RC is just over 20oz.

Quick Setup: The Spark is ready to go with a quick power on and palm launch. No unfolding, which would make it heavier and take more time to launch. No worrying about taking off on a dirt trail or tall grass.

I'm not 100% happy with it, but I'm hoping those issues can be solved with future firmware updates.

Real world weights:

Mavic AC: 756g
Mavic RC: 311g
Spark AC: 302g
Spark RC: 273g.

Very nice!

As a professional photographer and videographer I have experienced the same thing you described. For non-paid gigs like vacations the only shots that matter are the ones that get taken, and that's usually with your phone or something small. Though I find my Mavic fits nicely in a small sling pack and was quick enough to set up that we could easily do a large group selfie on our last vacation without people getting antsy. 20 minutes per battery and virtually unlimited range also made it possible to shoot more things on our vacation than just us.

Your other points are very well taken. Especially - I didn't realize that the Spark could be USB recharged. That's potentially huge. I'm eager to test all that means with a large Anker battery. If anyone else knows, please share.

Usable without a controller and Quick Setup still remain to be proven. Posts like this one: WTF DJI?... WTF!!?!?!@!?!!!! First Spark flyaway would have to completely go away. And with them, the conventional wisdom that responsible flying requires that you also have a backup controller ready. If those issues do go away, I agree, that would be better than the Mavic. But $500 better? That's the price of an iPhone for just one function.

Still, I'm so enamored with the idea of flying in public areas that this is almost enough to convince me.

Thanks for being so thorough!

Reactions: James Lucas
After the Spark was announced and before it was delivered I had at least 3 situations where I thought, man I wish my Spark was here!. All three events were large gatherings in elevated locations (rooftops and the like) where a device like this would have taken a great pic and been a snap to deploy. After flying it a few times I'm convinced that in each of those situations it would have fit the bill perfectly. It'll be with me almost all the time now that I have it (heck, the carrying case is smaller than a lot of camera cases), and I'm looking forward to using it in locations where I just can't take my P4P.

After the Spark was announced and before it was delivered I had at least 3 situations where I thought, man I wish my Spark was here!. All three events were large gatherings in elevated locations (rooftops and the like) where a device like this would have taken a great pic and been a snap to deploy. After flying it a few times I'm convinced that in each of those situations it would have fit the bill perfectly. It'll be with me almost all the time now that I have it (heck, the carrying case is smaller than a lot of camera cases), and I'm looking forward to using it in locations where I just can't take my P4P.

I'm starting to see situations myself.

As the resident photographer I've found that there aren't very many pictures with me in them.
Playing with Spark gestures I can really see how from now on I may actually be in some group shots that normally I'd have to shoot. Not having to carry a tripod or trust a passing stranger to take a good shot will be nice.
ALSO I've just been looking over the shots I've taken so far and I've found that pics taken in gesture mode are much lower res than those taken with a controller. So low that they're barely good enough for Facebook. Anyone know what's up with that?
The very cursory User's Manual says nothing except that if you save photos and video directly to your phone it will be lower res. That is definitely not what I'm doing.

Has anyone else seen this?

I keep asking myself that Question yet i cannot sell that cute thing, AAAHHHHHH!

Torn is the word ;-)

Ender

I'm starting to see situations myself.

As the resident photographer I've found that there aren't very many pictures with me in them.
Playing with Spark gestures I can really see how from now on I may actually be in some group shots that normally I'd have to shoot. Not having to carry a tripod or trust a passing stranger to take a good shot will be nice.
ALSO I've just been looking over the shots I've taken so far and I've found that pics taken in gesture mode are much lower res than those taken with a controller. So low that they're barely good enough for Facebook. Anyone know what's up with that?
The very cursory User's Manual says nothing except that if you save photos and video directly to your phone it will be lower res. That is definitely not what I'm doing.

Has anyone else seen this?
@Xanth I'm in the same boat as you. I take a fair amount of stills when I'm on my bike (motorcycle) trips. I typically bring my Mavic which packs pretty well in my limited storage, but once the Spark was released I thought the size was ideal and didn't care too much in regards to range. With that said, the Spark picture quality sucks. I'm better off with a freaking selfie stick on my iPhone.

@Xanth With that said, the Spark picture quality sucks. I'm better off with a freaking selfie stick on my iPhone.
You are reffering to the castrated pics in "selfie mode", right ?
I hope thats just a bug and they will allow the same Quality as in RC mode which i find surprisingly good.

Ender

Last edited:
You are reffering to the castratec pics in "selfie mode", right ?
I hope thats just a bug and they will allow the same Quality as in RC mode which i find surprisingly good.

Ender
Not sure what is meant by "castratec", but I am referring to pics w/o using the remote

Sorry i meant "castrated", in the sense of "limited by DJI", edited the typo !

Ender

I ordered my Spark before the launch event was over. Why? Because on that first day DJI listed the Spark as weighing 250 grams (I'm not the only one who saw it). A <250 gram drone solves a lot of problems. It could get shots that otherwise would require all sorts of permits, etc. Even if it's only 1080p.

So, the spark arrives, and I find it weighs 300 grams, which would mean that technically it requires all the same PITA permissions to fly as the Mavic.

Given all of that, I'm seriously asking the question: Is there a reason to keep a $700 drone that takes worse video and flies 1/5 as far for almost 1/2 as long and yet requires nearly the same size bag as the Mavic...if you already have a Mavic?

I have a Phantom Pro 4, Mavic Pro, and yesterday I just got the Spark. I haven't flown it enough yet to be definitively opinionated, but my initial thoughts are these:

- It's smaller and quieter which make it less obtrusive than the Mavic Pro
- The fact that its arms don't retract make it pack about the same size as the Mavic even though it is lighter. (And ultimately I think size really falls into categories: 1) It fits in your pocket or it doesn't; 2) It fits in your backpack or it doesn't; 3) It needs itw own backpack (hello Phantom 4)
- I really like that you can charge the Spark with the USB cable and even use an external battery to do it.
- I am sad about the lack of 4K, but it is a reasonable sacrifice for a drone like this

As of this second I think I would still choose the Mavic Pro because of range and video quality. However, if they ever manage to make the Spark with collapsable arms and you could truly consider putting it in your pocket that would be an absolute game changer. Overall, what they have done with the Spark is really impressive compared to everything else out there.

Reactions: srcrain
I have a Phantom Pro 4, Mavic Pro, and yesterday I just got the Spark. I haven't flown it enough yet to be definitively opinionated, but my initial thoughts are these:

- The fact that its arms don't retract make it pack about the same size as the Mavic even though it is lighter. (And ultimately I think size really falls into categories: 1) It fits in your pocket or it doesn't; 2) It fits in your backpack or it doesn't; 3) It needs itw own backpack (hello Phantom 4)
- I really like that you can charge the Spark with the USB cable and even use an external battery to do it.
- I am sad about the lack of 4K, but it is a reasonable sacrifice for a drone like this

As of this second I think I would still choose the Mavic Pro because of range and video quality. However, if they ever manage to make the Spark with collapsable arms and you could truly consider putting it in your pocket that would be an absolute game changer. Overall, what they have done with the Spark is really impressive compared to everything else out there.
Your size comparison is dead on. For a guy if it doesn't fit in your pocket you need to carry a bag in either case. At that point the modest size difference is irrelevant.

Reactions: Xanth

Good points. I'm eager to hear what additional conclusions you come to after you've thoroughly tested it. Though my advice would be to hurry and come to your conclusions within 7 days of purchase.

Good points. I'm eager to hear what additional conclusions you come to after you've thoroughly tested it. Though my advice would be to hurry and come to your conclusions within 7 days of purchase.

OK, I'm more opinionated now. The Spark is close but needs some work. Here are my thoughts:

- From a hardware perspective they pretty much nailed it. Nothing will get this much tech into a drone this small at the same price point, I don't think. If they could collapse the arms so that it would be feasible to tuck into your clothes it would be a game changer.

- Out of the box experience needs a lot of work. It feels like they thought they were done when they made a great piece of hardware. But, for a non-early adopter the time from "Box Open" to "I'm flying!" needs to be part of the excitement building experience. (Think Apple) Easy things like a clear Quick Start Guide, Charged battery (I know that kind has issues...), SD card in the drone, and a much better app that is made for consumers.

- They need to do a much better job of making the app smarter. It should pair as simply as a nest device. If you don't have RC it should pop into iPhone controls. It should give you a quick orientation and remove the power user stuff. It should be easier to enjoy your video. I will definitely use the RC remote to fly it!

- Gestures are cute and I think fun to show off with friends, but I don't know that I will use them that much. They need a gesture for video.

So, I guess I'd say the drone is fine, but there is some work to do if they want my sister to buy one :) It is a great drone for the price though.

OK, I'm more opinionated now. The Spark is close but needs some work. Here are my thoughts:

- From a hardware perspective they pretty much nailed it. Nothing will get this much tech into a drone this small at the same price point, I don't think. If they could collapse the arms so that it would be feasible to tuck into your clothes it would be a game changer.

- Out of the box experience needs a lot of work. It feels like they thought they were done when they made a great piece of hardware. But, for a non-early adopter the time from "Box Open" to "I'm flying!" needs to be part of the excitement building experience. (Think Apple) Easy things like a clear Quick Start Guide, Charged battery (I know that kind has issues...), SD card in the drone, and a much better app that is made for consumers.

- They need to do a much better job of making the app smarter. It should pair as simply as a nest device. If you don't have RC it should pop into iPhone controls. It should give you a quick orientation and remove the power user stuff. It should be easier to enjoy your video. I will definitely use the RC remote to fly it!

- Gestures are cute and I think fun to show off with friends, but I don't know that I will use them that much. They need a gesture for video.

So, I guess I'd say the drone is fine, but there is some work to do if they want my sister to buy one :) It is a great drone for the price though.

I agree with most of these observations too. Except the very last one, but that's subjective depending on how much disposable income you have.

The original question of this post focused on what does a Spark give you that a Mavic doesn't, and implied in that is the proviso 'that's worth the price?'

What I can say now is that I have an even greater appreciation of my Mavic, and my money, now that $760 is back in the bank.

Last edited:
I agree with most of these observations too. Except the very last one, but that's subjective depending on how much disposable income you have.

The original question of this post focused on what does a Spark give you that a Mavic doesn't, and implied in that is the proviso 'that's worth the price?'

What I can say now is that I have an even greater appreciation of my Mavic, and my money, now that $760 is back in the bank.
Another point related to the Spark size comparison. The small bag that came with the Spark fly more pack fits the Spark, the remote, and two batteries. You can also shove props and cables in as well. So some people have said this is great, small, and compact. Easy to carry around. Well guess what? That same bag can fit the Mavic, its remote and two batteries, along with extra props and cables. So from a size perspective you really don't gain much with the Spark if you have to carry the bag. Oh, and the Mavic gives you much farther range and longer overall flight time. While it is bigger and more noticeable, once it is in the air there is not much difference to most people, unless you are flying it really close to them (not recommended). Also, my very crude sound testing shows almost no difference between the two.

While I love the Spark for certain things, I think the Mavic is close to perfect in most situations.

Another point related to the Spark size comparison. The small bag that came with the Spark fly more pack fits the Spark, the remote, and two batteries. You can also shove props and cables in as well. So some people have said this is great, small, and compact. Easy to carry around. Well guess what? That same bag can fit the Mavic, its remote and two batteries, along with extra props and cables. So from a size perspective you really don't gain much with the Spark if you have to carry the bag. Oh, and the Mavic gives you much farther range and longer overall flight time. While it is bigger and more noticeable, once it is in the air there is not much difference to most people, unless you are flying it really close to them (not recommended). Also, my very crude sound testing shows almost no difference between the two.

While I love the Spark for certain things, I think the Mavic is close to perfect in most situations.

Honestly, the folded Mavic is easier to stick in a pocket than the all-pokey-outy Spark. The difference is in the ability of the Spark to be in the air immediately after turning it on. Though, even that is something that I think the Mavic could do if DJI added the functionality to the software.

My personal opinion is that the sound of the Mavic is far less noticeable than the Spark. It may be the same in decibels, but I could hear the Spark's higher pitched whine much farther away. Once the Mavic is 100 ft up, in my experience, people don't even know it's there.

Honestly, the folded Mavic is easier to stick in a pocket than the all-pokey-outy Spark. The difference is in the ability of the Spark to be in the air immediately after turning it on. Though, even that is something that I think the Mavic could do if DJI added the functionality to the software.

My personal opinion is that the sound of the Mavic is far less noticeable than the Spark. It may be the same in decibels, but I could hear the Spark's higher pitched whine much farther away. Once the Mavic is 100 ft up, in my experience, people don't even know it's there.
I agree completely.

For me, I can actually get the Mavic in the air more quickly in almost all location because it connects to satellites much quicker. Not sure if this is because I have a defective Spark or if that is just a limitation. I literally turn the Mavic on and within about 30 seconds or less it is ready to go. I often have to wait several minutes or more with the Spark, and many times have to move to another location.

Reactions: sebip
If you're a Mavic owner, you NEED a Spark for when you (very lightly) crash the Mav and have to send it out to get the gimbal ribbon cable replaced. Ask me how I know. :(

The Spark doesn't seem to do anything as well as the Mavic except being able to put a smile on my face. Once Litchi gets the waypoints thing going for the Spark, it will be much more awesome and stealthy than a Mavic in some cases.

Once the Mavic gets fixed and returned it will be interesting to see which one I have with me in the car. I travel quite a bit and after learning how to use the Mav it was on the seat next to me anytime I left the house.

Reactions: JD4x4
For me, I love tech type stuff. Its cool. It is smaller than the Mavic with props deployed. I can see me using it in small tight spaces...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast