Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

If you have a Mavic, why own a Spark?

I have been on the fence about getting a drone for awhile now. I was set on getting the Mavic but decided to pick up the Spark instead because it’s my first quad and I’m not totally sure I’m going to get the extra $500 use out of the Mavic...at least for now. I read that Spark only takes lower res pictures if palm launched, has anyone had any experience with this? I’m also wondering if you can take a selfie pic with the “making a square” with your hands gesture even if you’re not in gesture mode.

Looking to enjoy both the Spark and now.....yup, the MP! :eek::D;) I did it. Decided to have both.

pic.jpg

pic6.jpg

I don't own a Mavic but used one quite a bit. I was about to order one when the spark came out.

I figured the spark would do 95% of what the mavic does for half the price. Since I mostly fly from a boat I figured risking $500 instead of $1000 would be better for my blood pressure and heart rate. :)

After using the spark I don't regret it. There are three things it can not do... longer range, shoot non FPV video in sport mode and 4K

I don't need 4K and so far I ve had the spark up to almost 4000' without issues which I can leave with

No regrets

And having had a couple of closer call landing the mavic on th boat, my blood pressure is lower while returning with the spark :)

Last edited:
I bought the spark because of the size and being able to control the Spark with gestures looked interesting. Now that I have it, the gestures aren't all thats cracked up to be. I still find myself controlling it with the RC 95% of the time. I've experienced the aircraft disconnection issue but have not experienced the fall out of the sky issue however that can happen at any time so I've read. Nonetheless, the Spark is fun to fly and its a little quicker to get up in the air and start shooting. When I need epic video though, I fly the Mavic.

Already own the Spark but now waiting for the shipment of a Mavic Pro - why not have the best of both worlds? Looking forward to flying both. :)

I really love the Spark and Mavic each in their own ways. Both are super solid machines and both have their pluses and minuses.

Just a few quick points in comparison:
  1. Love the ultimate portability of the Spark, when Mavic came around I didn't really expect that we'd see something smaller with the imaging quality that the Spark has to offer.
  2. I do enjoy the added flight time with the Mavic, seems like I'm always burning batteries insanely fast with the Spark.
  3. Sport mode on the Spark is just a thrill, Mavic is too but Spark tops it.
  4. For video I enjoy the Mavic over the Spark simply due to it's larger stature and weight, flying in some different areas my little Sparky has gotten pushed around quite a bit by wind which impacts some longer video takes.
I honestly can't say that I really prefer one over the other. On Spark Launch Day if you would have asked I would have definitely said Mavic but Spark has really come out to prove itself.

Safe flying. :cool:

I've got a Spark, can't really comment too much as weather has been crap, so can't test after the updates. The few pictures I've got seem quite good (loving the 180 Pano) but this won't replace my Mavic, which is just better. But I've bought the Spark for holidays abroad, the instant fly mode could prove very handy. And hoping it's easier to get through Customs, due to the size. Off on my first holiday in September, to Menorca.

Reactions: Advexure
I've got a Spark, can't really comment too much as weather has been crap, so can't test after the updates. The few pictures I've got seem quite good (loving the 180 Pano) but this won't replace my Mavic, which is just better. But I've bought the Spark for holidays abroad, the instant fly mode could prove very handy. And hoping it's easier to get through Customs, due to the size. Off on my first holiday in September, to Menorca.

Well said. Hope the weather clears up, be sure to share some shots from Menorca!

I have both and after two weeks of holiday at lovely coast of Croatia .... I used my Mavic once and my Spark about 20 times ..... in areas where people are around the size of the Spark is accepted. (#Cute, "look here how small") and the Mavic is a dangerous drone. (#aggressive, it scares people ) ..... So I'll keep both and the Mavic only flies when I need 4K or long range. Even for Fantastic 360 Panoramas I use the Spark in combination with Litchi (Beta, but works.).

Reactions: mp43sniper
Even for Fantastic 360 Panoramas I use the Spark in combination with Litchi (Beta, but works.).
So Litchi works somewhat with Spark? I have it on my personal (android) phone which absolutely refuses to acknowledge the existence of said Spark. My iphone is from work and has Go 4 which allows me to fly, but I refuse to pay for Litchi a second time until waypoints works with Spark (and that will be a glorious day).

Reactions: Sparcky

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67