Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Important update

I see DJI has just released an important update, so important that they are disabling your drone in 10 days time if you do not update!
I just checked (8-22-17 9:15 am edt). Says that latest version is already installed, update not needed.

Firestat in Ohio.

I just checked (8-22-17 9:15 am edt). Says that latest version is already installed, update not needed.

Firestat in Ohio.
Don't take the chance that you might be bricked in 10 days. This upgrade requires you to actually go in and do it. Does not just automatically appear.

get everything running, then look at the DJI go app under the 3 dot (options) and at the bottom it says "about", look for the firmware to be .600

Last edited:
Don't take the chance that you might be bricked in 10 days. This upgrade requires you to actually go in and do it. Does not just automatically appear.

get everything running, then look at the DJI go app under the 3 dot (options) and at the bottom it says "about", look for the firmware to be .600
Will not be bricked at that deadline, just no more flight in theory. You will be able to update after that date.

I uses Apple software since 1986 but DJI Assistant looks so outdated. Evenno Sparkle auto update option etc. etc. I'm sorry, but I do avoid installing it :)
Your Spark, your time, your choice :)

Reactions: JMR
bricked to me means it can't fly. Splitting hairs .....

Will not be bricked at that deadline, just no more flight in theory
I am still running ver 0400 and 4.1.3 app. Flies just fine, if DJI snuck a disable function into the firmware it must have been in a subsequent update. I fly offline in airplane mode using OTG cable. Never connected to internet. I don't plan on connecting goggles, I tried that with my P3P and my 3dr Solo, prefer the tablet. People get in a panic and get their panties twisted over firmware, but shouldn't. I called one of the repair centers/third party dealers where I got my P3P when I was questioning an update, they told me if it's working ok, leave it alone. It was good advice. Seemed like every time DJI came out with update it always had bugs. Pays to wait. If they did put some supreme control code in the firmware, it would have to be based on date/time to stop Spark from flying or you are getting stopped because you are connected to internet and app is recognizing/controlling update. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: His415
I am still running ver 0400 and 4.1.3 app. Flies just fine, if DJI snuck a disable function into the firmware it must have been in a subsequent update. I fly offline in airplane mode using OTG cable. Never connected to internet. I don't plan on connecting goggles, I tried that with my P3P and my 3dr Solo, prefer the tablet. People get in a panic and get their panties twisted over firmware, but shouldn't. I called one of the repair centers/third party dealers where I got my P3P when I was questioning an update, they told me if it's working ok, leave it alone. It was good advice. Seemed like every time DJI came out with update it always had bugs. Pays to wait. If they did put some supreme control code in the firmware, it would have to be based on date/time to stop Spark from flying or you are getting stopped because you are connected to internet and app is recognizing/controlling update. Just my humble opinion.

Presuming you never connect your device that has DJI go on it to either a phone signal or wifi then I guess you should be ok?

I brought this to keep the Mavic company, spending more time down loading updates, thought I better say something as I don't speak a lot.:eek:

All updated via wifi. No hitches. All Pano options still available. Have not flown yet. I did not update NFZ when prompted. Cant have NFZ for property inspections.

Thanks for that advise. I will check it out. My question now is how do I manually update if the version is not 6? I opened up under the logo and pressed update and it did nothing.

Thanks again
Firestat in Ohio

DJI go on it to either a phone signal or wifi then I guess you should be ok?
Yes that is correct. When I go into status screen in DJI Go 4 app, the top line 'Overall Status' is "Normal (Latest Firmware)" even though it is on version 0400, so until I initiate an update, it won't do anything except fly as it should. I've had no issues. I got tired of the bugs on P3P updates, so with the P3P I picked a version that was stable and left it there. Let other folks do the beta testing... My P3P still flies fine too. The sky is not falling ;) and neither is my Spark.

You can hide I'm sure by staying away from internet, I'm guessing
Yes that is correct. When I go into status screen in DJI Go 4 app, the top line 'Overall Status' is "Normal (Latest Firmware)" even though it is on version 0400, so until I initiate an update, it won't do anything except fly as it should. I've had no issues. I got tired of the bugs on P3P updates, so with the P3P I picked a version that was stable and left it there. Let other folks do the beta testing... My P3P still flies fine too. The sky is not falling ;) and neither is my Spark.

I will do this probably six months from now, when the software is really stable, like the Mavic is now. But for right now I'll take these new updates because they are solving some problems that are fairly major in the software.. Here is a quote from one of the tech magazine sites about the update:

'The update also includes sundry improvements to the drone's battery management software and improves integration with items such as the DJI Goggles, a set of £500 virtual reality specs for first-person flying. The key update, however, is the one that stops reported in-flight shutdowns of Spark drones."

It's obvious that the update is mandatory because DJ I can't have drones falling out of the sky, like the 3DR, which killed that product.

Hiding, no, I'm here on this forum, right? Making choices, yes. I've got a handful of 3DR solos. 3DR wasn't killed by falling drones. Their gimbal had teething pains and was initially delayed and the price point was above DJI's Phantoms. They never recovered, even though Gimbals came out fine. None ever fell from the sky en mass, and are all still flying very well (check the 3DR pilots forum). If there are Sparks falling from the sky it was due to the bugs introduced in the rushed updates DJI did since 0400. DJI has rushed some updates to introduce the imposed controls/limits that some 'stupid' drone operators needed to keep from flying in front of airliners. Do they add functionality along the way, sure, but you have to weigh the benefits of any updates. My Mavic is flying very stable with an earlier version too as is my P3P and all of my 3DR solos fly great. I love flying drones. I am taking exception to folks who mis-report things on this forum like your drone will be bricked, or that it will not fly if you do not update. If I start having issues, I'll look at updates, right now I have experienced none. Lets see how many issues folks have after this latest update gets out to the masses. Fix a few, add a few...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers