Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

iPhone orientation

Palmcomp

Join
Sep 12, 2019
I’ve had a few times that my iphone‘s spark attitude indicator and North marker was way off. So yesterday I completed a field compass calibration. i also did an IMU calibration at home. I then went for a flight and still found the direction wrong. So I flipped my phone and all is well. i now keep the lightning end on the left.

I’ve had a few times that my iphone‘s spark attitude indicator and North marker was way off. So yesterday I completed a field compass calibration. i also did an IMU calibration at home. I then went for a flight and still found the direction wrong. So I flipped my phone and all is well. i now keep the lightning end on the left.

The indicator is a combination between the phone's compass and the input from the drone.
just like calibrating the compass, do a wide figure 8 in front of you before flight.
That will iron it out.

Personally, I do a flip/ roll figure 8 to get my iPad Mini 5 going.

The indicator is a combination between the phone's compass and the input from the drone.
just like calibrating the compass, do a wide figure 8 in front of you before flight.
That will iron it out.

Personally, I do a flip/ roll figure 8 to get my iPad Mini 5 going.
Thanks for tip!

Reactions: pmshop
Ok PM! I am trying to envision that, not picturing it so well in my aging mind.... Can U do us a vid?

Sure thing
What i call a Flip/ Roll Figure 8
Not my iPad Mini5 obviously
Quite windy today so I do not have the fleet with me.
*I would also have it attached to the controller providing more handling of the figure 8 on either side.

Reactions: RotorWash
Sounds similar to the issue I was having with my Android S7 and switching the phone end for end did help a lot. I still find the heading off up to 20° at times before launch with my phone attached to the RC so I always do a few figure 8s with the mobile/RC setup before I take off if I want the heading to be the most accurate it can be. I should add that this is with the ACs internal compass properly calibrated. If you ever find the red AC symbol not properly aligned with the actual craft and you know for sure your mobile/RC combo is calibrated correctly then the AC's compass is off due to local interference or it may need calibration itself. Which should always be a no-fly situation until rectified.

Thanks RotorWash ... until my post, I’ve never heard of, or tried the figure 8 maneuver with my iPhone, so that’ll be another tip to add to the tool box. I love this little Spark!

Reactions: RotorWash

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502