Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is my Spark faulty, range issue

Skippydoo

Join
Jul 15, 2021
I recently purchased a Mini 2 @ £350 from Amazon Warehouse. It had a few bits missing so decided to send it back. I flew it and found the range and video quality was excellent. I saw a barely used Spark for a great price and thought I’d save £200 on first drone in case of crash or loss and get a better one when proficient. I really like both.
Anyhow the video range gets pixelated at about 60M. I move the antenna but the range drops still. The mini just goes and goes!
This was tested straight up on a climb. It does the same on a normal flight. I read in the FAQ it’s a selfie drone predominately but is this right, seems a bit of a big deal. I’ve seen the parabolic reflectors and aerials are they any good?

Are you using the DJI controller with cable? Because if you're using WiFi only, you'll have those issues.

Reactions: Skippydoo
Are you using the DJI controller with cable? Because if you're using WiFi only, you'll have those issues.
I have the DJI controller used with my Android phone as a display on the Spark. There’s no cable to link the contoller and phone like on the Mini2. I’ve just ordered an otg micro usb to usb type c. I’ve watched a guide and also don’t have the m option on my usb settings.
Ive got
file transfer
usb tethering
midi
ptp
no data transfer options

Last edited:
It sounds like your Spark is sending data to your phone via WiFi as opposed to thru the controller. So I would say check your phone WiFi connections which should only be to the controller and not to the Spark. I hope someone with more experience backs me up, because my opinion is speculation only. I think the otg cable will solve your issues.

Hi! Soccer ref is correct...phone should be connected to the controller...not the bird. OTG cable will improve the range, but it will always have some degree of pixelating type interference. Even my M2 Zoom with OccuSync (or whatever they call it) gets some at farther distances. As long as the actual recording isn't breaking up, I don't have an issue with it. The Spark will not get close to the range of the newer models. My record is about 8000 feet with a convex range extender, but it must be pointed directly at Spark ALL the time. When I fly, the USB on my Android is set at file transfer/Android Auto, Wi-Fi on the phone is turned off. Works well. Make sure you plug the OTG cable in the proper way...makes a difference which end is plugged into the controller. If the controller is charging the phone, it's correct. If the phone is charging the controller...reverse the cable. Happy flying.

Last edited:
I had similar issues which all went away after changing to OTG cable and switched to the modded App (there are two versions: DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0.apk or TSS V2.apk) to chavge from EC to FCC mode, meaning more power between the transmissions between the controller and drone. I never looked back! It turned my flying experience from a nightmare to an absolute pleasure.

I had similar issues which all went away after changing to OTG cable and switched to the modded App (there are two versions: DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0.apk or TSS V2.apk) to chavge from EC to FCC mode, meaning more power between the transmissions between the controller and drone. I never looked back! It turned my flying experience from a nightmare to an absolute pleasure.
Is that the mod that allows the 5GHz connection instead of the 2.4? Not sure where OP is from, but not required in North America....I get 5G by default. No issues at all with unmodified Go4.

Is that the mod that allows the 5GHz connection instead of the 2.4? Not sure where OP is from, but not required in North America....I get 5G by default. No issues at all with unmodified Go4.
Yes, FCC is the default mode in the US, which operates on more power then EC used in Europe and some other places.

Hi! Soccer ref is correct...phone should be connected to the controller...not the bird. OTG cable will improve the range, but it will always have some degree of pixelating type interference. Even my M2 Zoom with OccuSync (or whatever they call it) gets some at farther distances. As long as the actual recording isn't breaking up, I don't have an issue with it. The Spark will not get close to the range of the newer models. My record is about 8000 feet with a convex range extender, but it must be pointed directly at Spark ALL the time. When I fly, the USB on my Android is set at file transfer/Android Auto, Wi-Fi on the phone is turned off. Works well. Make sure you plug the OTG cable in the proper way...makes a difference which end is plugged into the controller. If the controller is charging the phone, it's correct. If the phone is charging the controller...reverse the cable. Happy flying.
Thanks. My OTG is usb c to mini usb

Hi, does anyone know if the firmware currently supports otg. I read latest mines 100100 or similar may not. Also having checked the reviews of the cable some Spark fliers say it’s the right way, then I saw another review stating it’s the wrong one.
I took it out today to 110 meters and then got warnings , twirled the antenna but went again straight away.
I pair the drone to the dji controller, then finally launch the app select the spark from the WiFi list connect then launch the app. It says GoFly

Attachments

• C137A828-12F1-4BE6-8AD4-9F0EEBAE14CD.png
    C137A828-12F1-4BE6-8AD4-9F0EEBAE14CD.png
    991.3 KB · Views: 2
USB mini?? What are you using...a motorola flip phone? Earlier post you said Micro. The DJI controller actually takes a micro USB A. This is the one I grabbed to hook to my Google Pixel 3 via USB C.
I don't have the modded software and my firmware is always the latest. No problems to report.
If you are flying OTG, turn the Wi-Fi on your phone off...it's not needed with the cable. Pairing the controller to the Spark is all that is needed. Power up the Spark, connect the cable from R/C to the phone, turn on the controller and the Go app should start up when they connect...you're good to go. You should only connect the Spark Wi-Fi to the phone when flying without the R/C. When flying without an OTG...THAT's when you connect the R/C to the Wi-Fi... not the bird. Happy flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: giolodovico
I recently purchased a Mini 2 @ £350 from Amazon Warehouse. It had a few bits missing so decided to send it back. I flew it and found the range and video quality was excellent. I saw a barely used Spark for a great price and thought I’d save £200 on first drone in case of crash or loss and get a better one when proficient. I really like both.
Anyhow the video range gets pixelated at about 60M. I move the antenna but the range drops still. The mini just goes and goes!
This was tested straight up on a climb. It does the same on a normal flight. I read in the FAQ it’s a selfie drone predominately but is this right, seems a bit of a big deal. I’ve seen the parabolic reflectors and aerials are they any good?
You need a range extender you’ll find them on eBay. Cheaper than Amazon

get a 4Hawks antenna. Then again here in the States not sure of the fate of my Spark with the FCC rulings that may be in affect as soon as a year or two. I did buy the antenna, it's great. not buying anything else at the moment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme