Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Knowledge test in the middle of a flight anybody?

Nemesis Looms

Join
Jun 23, 2018
Loc
57deg.54'01"N 5deg.09'41"W
I'm new to this drone lark but by means of some creative lurking on this forum and other sources, I have managed ( somehow ) to become reasonably competent in the use of my Spark, although I don't fully understand all the stuff that makes it go.

Today, having just updated the firmware and restarted everything, I was flying over my house in the Highlands at 116m and doing an arty, swirly descent when I hit the function key on the controller to flip the camera from horizontal to vertical view. In this case however, it blanked the screen and invited me to do a 'knowledge test'.

Long story short - I managed to flip out of it and land after a bit of mucking about, powered everything down, changed the battery and tried again. Throughout the entire boot-up sequence in preparation for the next flight there was no sign of any pop-up knowledge test - right up to the point ( this time at 120m altitude ) at which I hit the function key. This time the knowledge test came up and effectively bricked the app, stating that the test had to be completed 'before flight'.

I still had control of the aircraft and was able to land it 'manually' as it were, but I would still like to meet the person who approved the feature and its activation algorithm and shake them warmly by the ears.

Last edited:
That is absolutely insane! In the first place the thought of a knowledge test is belittling (if not necessary for some, but ok), in the second place it coming up mid flight is a ****-up of substantial proportions. (For the South Park fans, I would estimate 8.5 curic at least!).

Now to calm my nerves, please tell me you were using an android device? :rolleyes:

That's extremely odd and dangerous! Sounds like the software F.U. somehow. Definitely warrants contacting DJI support.

In flight entertainment?

An epic thriller guranteed to give you the shakes.

Good thing it has a happy ending.:)

That is absolutely insane! In the first place the thought of a knowledge test is belittling (if not necessary for some, but ok), in the second place it coming up mid flight is a ****-up of substantial proportions. (For the South Park fans, I would estimate 8.5 curic at least!).

Now to calm my nerves, please tell me you were using an android device? :rolleyes:
The knowledge test was created with the help of the FAA (and I think other regional bodies) to ensure that new drone users get a basic understanding of flying safe. Too many people are buying a drone at Best Buy with no knowledge that there are laws and rules which apply.

When you complete the test, you won't ever see it again. It was announced in 2017.

DJI Demonstrates ‘Drone License Plate’ Technology And Drone Pilot Knowledge Quiz

The fact it pops up mid-flight is quite an error though.

That sounds like Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator, a game I had years ago. Every time you start the game you first have to listen Chuck lecture and rant for 5 minutes before you can play.

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting it... I hope never to see it, (at least whilst I am in the air) and the FAA does not apply to me anyway. Its not a bad idea however, a one time ground school sort of thing.

FAA doesn't apply here either so the test, when I finally did it to clear it off the app, was tailored to EC regulations and I agree - it's not a bad idea. Given the sophistication of the technology however, I would have thought a logical trigger for something like that would have been switching beginner mode off for the first time and then bricking the app until completed.

Whatever the trigger should have been, I can't for the life of me imagine how a programmable button on the R/C did it.

If this ever pops up on mine, I hope it's more than a simple yes/no quiz. I would be sending them back some very interesting comments............
It was 10 multiple-choice questions with 5 ( I think ) possible answers each, fairly basic and could be completed by clicking every answer until you hit the right one ( at least on the three questions I tried doing that ).

That test was offered after I did the firmware update. It was optional, but I took it. Glad I wasn't in the air when I did the update and accidentally accepted. Flunking could be disastrous

Thanks for reporting it... I hope never to see it, (at least whilst I am in the air) and the FAA does not apply to me anyway. Its not a bad idea however, a one time ground school sort of thing.
It is geolocation sensitive. So far, TC hasn't got on board with this yet for any tests in Canada. If you find yourself south of the border, expect to see it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme