Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looking North on Flight #2

Northwood Mediaworks

Former Spark & Mavic Air 2 Flyer
Premium Pilot
Join
Jan 15, 2018
Loc
Northern Ontario, Canada
Web
northwoodmediaworks.com
So, Roo-Bee-Red, my Spark (and her silly name), had her second flight yesterday, still in beginner mode. I reached its limits with confidence, 30 meters (90 feet) up and out, and realized just how limiting it is. Flight #3 will be in normal mode with due care and consideration. I am really looking forward to getting up to max height, which is around 295 feet. But perhaps not quite yet! So, I will post my really sedate video #2 on Monday, my Internet in the north is satellite and rather slow. Here is a frame grab from the video, in the distance are the Laurentian Mountains, which are actually in Quebec, I am in the province west of that, Ontario. The orange house you see in the foreground is actually a log home, its been clad in that crazy orange siding to protect it and eventually someone in that family is going to restore it. We call it the "Halloween" house.

Was a warm and sunny day, I was hoping to go back up today, but chores and wind kept me grounded. Tomorrow hopefully.

90 feet up....Laurentians.jpg

7396E596-D063-46D4-94DC-EFF00C2ABBF9.jpeg Hi, I’m just thankful its not another one with the unimaginative name of “Sparky”. I never used the beginner mode as I am lucky enough to have a large open space nearby to practice flying. I have never flown much above 30 meters. 32.4m according to the DJI flight log. Tic Tac (silly name) looks awful tiny at that height. My advice is check GPS, RTH, & compass, & everything else, before zooming away. Then relax & enjoy, these are great little quadcopters. Happy Flying!

Reactions: pmshop
DJI_0015.JPG

Roo = first grand-daughter's nickname
Bee = wife thought spark sound like angry bees
Red = because its red!
:p
Being cautious so, beginner for the first couple of flights. Went up really briefly today, P-mode, it was just a little too windy, but made it up to 47.5m or 155 feet. Took that same view, this time as a picture not a frame grab, attached...

NIice shot of the town, where are you Koala?

Sydney, Australia. The outer suburbs near Penrith to be more precise.
Nothing wrong with being cautious, who would want to be the guy that lost a $500 drone after only a few flights?
I have seen on YouTube people strapping their spark to a selfie stick so they can pretend to fly it. I think that they have watched too many “drone fail” videos.
Before you start experimenting with the automated flight modes, teach yourself the pause button. My instinct was to fly manually when Tic Tac was heading for trouble. The sticks were disabled while performing a “helix” & she went into a tree. Luckily only damage was to the blades. No video of the crash. I haven’t tried that manoeuvre again. Catch You Later

View attachment 5259 Hi, I’m just thankful its not another one with the unimaginative name of “Sparky”. I never used the beginner mode as I am lucky enough to have a large open space nearby to practice flying. I have never flown much above 30 meters. 32.4m according to the DJI flight log. Tic Tac (silly name) looks awful tiny at that height. My advice is check GPS, RTH, & compass, & everything else, before zooming away. Then relax & enjoy, these are great little quadcopters. Happy Flying!
I like the name Tic-Tac.
My wife named my Spark Peanut. I had gone with Sparkler. I like Peanut better, and peanut butter

Tic-Tac is a pretty good name, agreed, once the spark is way up in the sky, it is pretty dang small. (like the breath mint!). Definitely had my first taste of wind handling with mine yesterday, it fights the wind pretty well given its tiny size. It was a little alarming to hear the motors varying their thrust to combat the gusts... being so new at this, and after my XS809HW flew away on me, its slightly nerve wracking.:eek:

Just wait until you decide to fly over water. It’s hard to not worry a little about your quad going for a swim.

Just wait until you decide to fly over water. It’s hard to not worry a little about your quad going for a swim.

It will be a long time before I get the urge to do that, like 2 years from now when my Care Refresh and warranty are all gone. By then perhaps I will have graduated to something 4k and 3 axis.

I haven't named mine. I think it's because I'm afraid of getting too attached to it. You know, kind of like naming farm animals..........

Ha ha, that's hilarious.:p Well, its a lot of money to throw up in the air, that's for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex