Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looking to buy a Spark, but not sure I can justify the cost

Aslad

Join
Jul 15, 2019
Hi there,
I'm new here and just looking for some advice. I really love filmmaking and photography and have always wanted a proper quality drone.. currently I own a Hubsan H507A X4 Star, which was a good introduction to flying but the camera is very poor and not suitable for proper film and photography, which is why I'm looking at getting a Spark as they are probably the only drone that is of the quality I'd want within my budget. Mavic Air or above is just too expensive for me as I'm a university student.

However.. for me the Spark would be a significant investment and would leave me pretty cash strapped for a couple of months, and I'm worried that I just wouldn't get the opportunity to use it as much as I'd like, or that I'd lose it quickly due to pilot error. Amazon Prime Day mean that the Spark is on sale (£100 off) for tomorrow only so it's almost now or never for me.

So is it worth the leap? I love drone flying and I know I'd want to be using the Spark all the time but it has a hefty price tag for a student like me, and I live in a built-up area so would need to travel to use it, so I really can't decide...

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,
I'm new here and just looking for some advice. I really love filmmaking and photography and have always wanted a proper quality drone.. currently I own a Hubsan H507A X4 Star, which was a good introduction to flying but the camera is very poor and not suitable for proper film and photography, which is why I'm looking at getting a Spark as they are probably the only drone that is of the quality I'd want within my budget. Mavic Air or above is just too expensive for me as I'm a university student.

However.. for me the Spark would be a significant investment and would leave me pretty cash strapped for a couple of months, and I'm worried that I just wouldn't get the opportunity to use it as much as I'd like, or that I'd lose it quickly due to pilot error. Amazon Prime Day mean that the Spark is on sale (£100 off) for tomorrow only so it's almost now or never for me.

So is it worth the leap? I love drone flying and I know I'd want to be using the Spark all the time but it has a hefty price tag for a student like me, and I live in a built-up area so would need to travel to use it, so I really can't decide...

Thanks in advance!

Didn't even read past the title.
PLEASE finance it - you can't go wrong with such a cool travel like drone to start your walk down DJI's product list.
I have two Spark so when one is in the shop, I can still fly.
Suggest looking at refurb Spark from the DJI Store.
Just as good quality as new because I have had a few exchanged repairs under DJI's care refresh.
Their refurbished product is just as good as new.

DJI also uses Affirm financing that makes it affordable month to month.

PLEASE finance it - you can't go wrong with such a cool travel like drone to start your walk down DJI's product list.
Just as good quality as new because I have had a few exchanged repairs under DJI's care refresh.

Thanks for replying!
I live in the UK, and when I click any link to DJI Refurbished then it says it is not available in my country. I also can't see any options for financing, otherwise I definitely would be doing it that way. Not sure what I'm missing..

Thanks for replying!
I live in the UK, and when I click any link to DJI Refurbished then it says it is not available in my country. I also can't see any options for financing, otherwise I definitely would be doing it that way. Not sure what I'm missing..

Not missing a thing - UK thing.
Just tuck away a monthly amount till you reach the goal!
By that time, maybe the rumored "Spark 2" will be released :D

In the mean time, get a SYMA X5C or any variant letters after the X5.
$60USD to learn how to fly before going on to more expensive.
Don't want this to happen - $3000USD drone at the time:

Reactions: RotorWash and Aslad
Not missing a thing - UK thing.
Just tuck away a monthly amount till you reach the goal!
By that time, maybe the rumored "Spark 2" will be released :D

In the mean time, get a SYMA X5C or any variant letters after the X5.
$60USD to learn how to fly before going on to more expensive.
Don't want this to happen - $3000USD drone at the time:

Thanks, yeah probably would be a better idea to save and wait ?
I already have a Hubsan X507A X4 Star, it was cheap and cheerful but it's been a good starter drone. Camera is dreadful but for the price of it, it's a reasonably solid bit of kit.
Definitely had a few crashes with it and it's been absolutely fine!

You have a great start already learning.
The Spark has a GPS assist and vision sensors to help you fly.
You will do great!
Take your time and save up!
It is worth it.
Cheers for your advice, probably a good idea for me to wait haha. Time to save up some more!

Hello I have a Spark Ai got mine from eBay second hand get the combo version and you will get spare batteries.

Do a full search and speak to the seller and see what your getting. Tip for you ask how many times the battery has been charged.

The less charges the more newer are the batteries. Good luck Irvine (Portsmouth UK)

Don't mean to be negative but a couple of other points for you to think about.. 1) the drone needs a micro USB card of reasonable quality, and 2) battery life is pretty short (say 10 minutes) and so most people end up purchasing a second or third battery . 3) Could be some type of Government registration fee depending on country. Well worth money but,...sparky is amazing and it's a lot fun.

Hello I have a Spark Ai got mine from eBay second hand get the combo version and you will get spare batteries.

Do a full search and speak to the seller and see what your getting. Tip for you ask how many times the battery has been charged.

The less charges the more newer are the batteries. Good luck Irvine (Portsmouth UK)
Thanks!

Don't mean to be negative but a couple of other points for you to think about.. 1) the drone needs a micro USB card of reasonable quality, and 2) battery life is pretty short (say 10 minutes) and so most people end up purchasing a second or third battery . 3) Could be some type of Government registration fee depending on country. Well worth money but,...sparky is amazing and it's a lot fun.

I already have several MicroSD cards so thats not an issue, and I'd be only considering the Fly More combo (especially since amazon and DJI's own website only list the Lava Red Fly More combo as in stock)

That was not my experience. After losing 2 Sparks to flyaway. I purchased a refurb. Problems galore. After returning due to losing connection dji replaced mainboard under warranty. Then after trouble connecting 1st time, on take off, instead of ascending it flew horizontally. Into a fence. This apparently caused internal damage. After returning to dji a 2nd time they wanted to replace all sensors and. main board at my expense. I protested so they covered the repair under warranty. I haven't yet tested the 3rd refurb

Reactions: Aslad
I understand that!

Keep in mind you'll need a pretty up-to-date smartphone. I spent the money on the flymore kit, but didn't figure I'd need to replace the smartphone too.

Spark is kindof your entry-level GPS Camera drone. Maybe by the time I can afford something better, I'll have the skills to effectively use what I have ;)

Thanks!

I already have several MicroSD cards so thats not an issue, and I'd be only considering the Fly More combo (especially since amazon and DJI's own website only list the Lava Red Fly More combo as in stock)
I have 4 batteries for my spark and 4 for my mavic platinum as mentioned the combo normally comes in the standard red which I have. I actually paid £380 with 2 batteries and a lot of extras save for one you won't go wrong

I understand that!

Keep in mind you'll need a pretty up-to-date smartphone. I spent the money on the flymore kit, but didn't figure I'd need to replace the smartphone too.

Spark is kindof your entry-level GPS Camera drone. Maybe by the time I can afford something better, I'll have the skills to effectively use what I have ;)
I use my ipad mini 2 works great

As you have the Hubsan already, practice flying in non GPS mode a whole bunch. When the Spark you may have down the road decides to go into ATTI mode and relinqueshes position hold due to compass or GPS failure, you will be well set to fly it back to yourself manually.

I understand that!

I got a new phone recently (Samsung Galaxy S10e) so hopefully not a problem ?

Check out Best Buy if you have it. They have a great combo price $549. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dji-sp...adcopter-alpine-white/5927500.p?skuId=5927500
Not available in the UK unfortunately ?

Hi there,

Thanks in advance!
Selling spark combo to much to list 425.00

Just buy it. They also have used sparks on Ebay, not sure what condition they are in
You will need a controller also just using the phone is not good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme