Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looks like otg android is back and app download new app 4.2.16 587 Monday 21st May.

Waiting for the sun to go down. This sunset later will be epic it's been gorgeous today weather in the UK.

Reactions: Haggi
This looks like it's a good update for them icey winter months [emoji23] And them unlucky enough who live in Ice cold environments.

Did anyone tried to click the RTH button using the RC? Im using 4.2.12 with OTG. Galaxy S7.
Only issue so far was this. RTH button not responding

I noticed that 2 days ago. Click on the button on RC and didn't RTH. Didn't think to much about it until now as I've mostly used the mobile screen to RTH.

i know mine did initiate a RTH automatically with low battery, I was running packs down to get a fresh charge and doing to quick testing. Also obstacle avoidance worked as it kept it from hitting the tree which was very close to my homepoint. I don't think i've ever used RTH otherwise until testing it with low battery the other day. I'll have to check my RC and see if it does it.

Works with/without OTG on my Nexus 7 Tablet. I did notice some lagging on iOS that wasn't there before though?:confused: But this was in a heavy WiFi use areas, so I'll have to try it out in the country side to really see the improvements? I've flew the Spark Wireless,and with the OTG (mostly with iOS),and can't see any real advantage,either way? I've also used the VR goggles to fly the Spark,with and without the OTG,and get the same results. Using OTG is like wearing dark wool pants, and wetting in them! The feeling is warm and fuzzy, but that's about all!:D

Works with/without OTG on my Nexus 7 Tablet. I did notice some lagging on iOS that wasn't there before though?:confused: But this was in a heavy WiFi use areas, so I'll have to try it out in the country side to really see the improvements? I've flew the Spark Wireless,and with the OTG (mostly with iOS),and can't see any real advantage,either way? I've also used the VR goggles to fly the Spark,with and without the OTG,and get the same results. Using OTG is like wearing dark wool pants, and wetting in them! The feeling is warm and fuzzy, but that's about all!:D
He ha loved that and Agree Re:OTG THAT WE ARE NOT MEANT TO HAVE OR USE BY DJI REPS...LOL

If you discount that OTG charges your phone from the RC, allows you to use 2.4GHz in the EU for RC-AC, gives a stable video feed with low latency...
etc.

:rolleyes:

I think that the OTG was the "cure all" for Android devices, that had lagging problems without it? Here in the US I don't have any problems using it either way? We have done range test, both ways, and have not seen any improvement with one or the other?What we have seen is the fact that 5.8ghz is a lot more stable, less interfearance,and has the same range as 2.4,or better in some situations! I know that 5.8 isn't supposed to have the range that 2.4 dose, but it hasen't proved out, with the Spark so far? We have vast open areas that we fly In so we can push the Spark to it's max range, at low altitude.This flight was done with a iPad 4 Mini,no OTG,and using 5.8ghz.IMG_0066.PNGSparky long range.PNG

Last edited:
Fair comment Ron_Dog, the problem is probably at its worst in the EU, where our Android phones don't have access to all the 5GHz channels that DJI want to use, so we have to use 2.4GHz for the RC-Phone connection and we're then stuck with 5GHz for the RC-AC connection.
From a technical point of view, in the open countryside, 2.4GHz should give better range than 5GHz but, where there's dense 2.4GHz WiFi due to home routers, 5.8GHz isn't as crowded in the UK, so the option to choose the RC-AC connection is very useful depending on the circumstances.
I've also found that the live video stream is, unsurprisingly, more stable with OTG.

Along with the ability to charge your phone from the RC while flying, and the better lower latency stream, I get a better experience and feeling of security with OTG.

**** you guys are really getting some distance! i think the furthest i've got is 400ft before it cuts out or lags and auto RTH. This is in the UK on auto for the wifi. I do wonder if i'm doing something wrong sometimes

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Fair comment Ron_Dog, the problem is probably at its worst in the EU, where our Android phones don't have access to all the 5GHz channels that DJI want to use, so we have to use 2.4GHz for the RC-Phone connection and we're then stuck with 5GHz for the RC-AC connection.
From a technical point of view, in the open countryside, 2.4GHz should give better range than 5GHz but, where there's dense 2.4GHz WiFi due to home routers, 5.8GHz isn't as crowded in the UK, so the option to choose the RC-AC connection is very useful depending on the circumstances.
I've also found that the live video stream is, unsurprisingly, more stable with OTG.

Along with the ability to charge your phone from the RC while flying, and the better lower latency stream, I get a better experience and feeling of security with OTG.
I've read "somewhere" that there's a way around the EU band, and you can use the FCC mode? I'm not sure how it is done though, and I'm sure it's breaking the law, to do so. I've seen video's of people in the EU flying long distances, though? But I'm not sure how they did it? Most were in remote areas though. I've also read that by using a OTG on a Android device, you can change frequency's, but not without it? I sometimes use a Nexus 7 (2013) Tablet,and for the most part it works well, but I do notice some latency from time to time with it, even with the OTG. It may also be due to it's processor? I Dunno?

Last edited:
Reactions: cozzykim
Yes, there are a couple of ways to force the Spark into FCC mode, not something that everyone wants to do though, although the chances of being caught and actually punished are probably pretty remote.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
**** you guys are really getting some distance! i think the furthest i've got is 400ft before it cuts out or lags and auto RTH. This is in the UK on auto for the wifi. I do wonder if i'm doing something wrong sometimes
I NEVER use "auto" and always select the cleanest channel, in the area I'm flying in! We have found in our test (though not very strictly done) that when in auto, it will try to find a clear channel, any time it get's a little interfearance,and that causes a drop out on the live feed. When we "manually select" a channel, you will some times get a little "blip" in the live feed, but it will stay "locked" on to the channel and resume once past the source of the interference.

Yes, there are a couple of ways to force the Spark into FCC mode, not something that everyone wants to do though, although the chances of being caught and actually punished are probably pretty remote.
Yeah,those guy's were getting crazy distances! On thing we also have found is those little parabolic signal deflectors (they call them boosters) do actually work!;) The distance you gain varies with the environment your flying in. Out in the country side we see from 1000-2000 feet more range. In the suburban areas we also noticed a slight gain in range, but less "drop outs" from signal loss. They are cheap around 9.00 US and really do help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast