Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looks like otg android is back and app download new app 4.2.16 587 Monday 21st May.

UK is like a wind tunnel every day it's not often you get a day where it's calm no wind I've leant when it's time and when it's too much for the spark. My Mavic Pro that's a different story that thing is rock solid in very bad wind.

My Spark attempted a fly away from me in slightly strong wind. Loss transmission and when I regained signal, video continue to be choppy. RTH failed many times. So flew it back manually, but it flew back erratically. Took so long, battery was drained, that it started to land on top of someone house on the next Street. Manage to cancel landing and erratically guided the Spark to land on my street about 10 houses down the road. Ran to the Spark, saw the lights was flashing red, saw a car coming from the end of my street towards the Spark. So ran like I never did and managed to retrieve the Spark.

Haven't flown since. But I've upgraded to 4.2.14. sent the flight record to DJI support.

Not sure what happened. My past 2-3 flights under 4.2.12 was really smooth under OTG. This time round, the wind was stronger, but not overly strong. But I was using a new OTG cable, which I am thinking is not the cause of the issue because it is to do with the RC and Spark transmission. Anyway, I'll fly cautiously using the new version and wait for DJI response.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
Gavie, perhaps in another separate post compare your Spark to Mavic. I am interested why you bought Mavic over the Air and signal comparison between Spark and MP. You can see I'm thinking of my next drone if I can pick up a 2nd hand cheap on.

Gavie, perhaps in another separate post compare your Spark to Mavic. I am interested why you bought Mavic over the Air and signal comparison between Spark and MP. You can see I'm thinking of my next drone if I can pick up a 2nd hand cheap on.
I bought the mavic pro over the air because of ocusync the air is just WiFi like the spark plus the dji goggles link straight up the pro no wires through the ocusync system. I absolutely love ocusync the signal strength is so noticeable from using the spark to when I fly the pro. And the big one is battery life. When I first got the mavic pro it took me a while to stop worrying about battery life because using the spark I'm always looking and worrying do I have enough battery to get back. Not when you have the pro it's brilliant. Hope that helps I'm so happy in my decision on going with the pro. The spark still gets it flying time I absolutely love this thing.

I bought the mavic pro over the air because of ocusync the air is just WiFi like the spark plus the dji goggles link straight up the pro no wires through the ocusync system. I absolutely love ocusync the signal strength is so noticeable from using the spark to when I fly the pro. And the big one is battery life. When I first got the mavic pro it took me a while to stop worrying about battery life because using the spark I'm always looking and worrying do I have enough battery to get back. Not when you have the pro it's brilliant. Hope that helps I'm so happy in my decision on going with the pro. The spark still gets it flying time I absolutely love this thing.
Cools thanks for the feedback.

Tried my otg cable after the update on my s7 edge and won’t connect.....
Did yiu try the following steps, which I had copied from a separate discussion post.
I connect OTG every time no issues by doing the following:
1- turn off phone / tablet wifi
2- turn on RC
3- turn on spark
4- wait for light to go green on RC, then plug in micro usb into RC
5- open DJI Go 4
6- connect OTG to phone / tablet.

Reactions: steve.r
Did yiu try the following steps, which I had copied from a separate discussion post.
I connect OTG every time no issues by doing the following:
1- turn off phone / tablet wifi
2- turn on RC
3- turn on spark
4- wait for light to go green on RC, then plug in micro usb into RC
5- open DJI Go 4
6- connect OTG to phone / tablet.
I will try your method exactly and give some feedback. Thanks for the tips

The sequence doesn't matter. I usually start the RC first...connect my phone with OTG, which will detect the connection immediately and start the app and then I power up the spark.

Today I restarted the app in between and it still worked.

Important is only to connect the cable to the RC after the red light has stopped to blink.

Just had a really bad disconnection and it never came back the video feed on the 4.2.14 new app it's disconnections all the time I was climbing up filming a rock face 800 to 900 feet and turning around to come back down it just clicked and boom now data no video feed luckily I didn't panic I tried everything pulling the otg cable in out absolutely nothing then I tried the rth button one more time and it started bleeping. Still no video all the way back. Don't know what the hell happened. If that happens to anyone else just don't panic and go through every step. It still gets my heart racing every time haha. I'm out in the sticks as I'm writing this and still finding things to record with my spark and Mavic Pro. Some awesome videos.

Little spark distance test using otg and the new 4.2.14 go app this was after I had deleted and wiped all data and cache from the go app because I kept getting disconnections and blank data. It seemed to fix it because I flew the spark another 4 batteries after and no disconnects here's a screen recording of one of the distance flights turned around at 1200 meters because the wind started picking up I was in a massive valley it was like a wind tunnel, it's always good to no your limits and know when to turn around. Here you go.

20180512_133030.jpg

20180512_132709.jpg

20180512_155414.jpg

20180512_131543.jpg

Reactions: Ed Grez
Little spark distance test using otg and the new 4.2.14 go app this was after I had deleted and wiped all data and cache from the go app because I kept getting disconnections and blank data. It seemed to fix it because I flew the spark another 4 batteries after and no disconnects here's a screen recording of one of the distance flights turned around at 1200 meters because the wind started picking up I was in a massive valley it was like a wind tunnel, it's always good to no your limits and know when to turn around. Here you go.

View attachment 4960

View attachment 4961

View attachment 4962

View attachment 4963
Great sights and video there Gavie. What a great day of flying for you.

I had something similar on my last flight on 4.2.12, unable to RTH, no data and video. I manually guided the Spark back, video came back, but was choppy. Spark was flying back erratically (like it was in Sports Mode). But it kept loosing connection and slowing down that battery soon dropped. RTH about 5X, at best only came back home a short distance and cancel. It started to auto land (on a different street on top of someone house), before I manage to slowly guide it down to my street way down the road. Manage to retrieve the Spark before a car coming in the opposite direction was about to run over the Spark. Crazy flight experience that was, clearing trees and houses, I manage to kept my nerve and video remained choppy all the way through, so I wasn't able to clearly see where I was.

I've since upgraded to 4.2.14, but had not been able to fly due to bad weather. Reported the above to DJI with Flight Record uploaded and they asked me to send the Spark back for examination..... Not sure how long that would take before I get it back.

Can you please let me know exactly what you do to clear data etc? I noticed in my last flight I kept getting Video cache full warning message and an new message saying that Altitude and Distance had been restricted - at its current location, meaning that I wasn't able to fly all the way back.

Regards and Thanks.

Headed to to the USVI, St. John next week. Worried about the wind (averaging 22 mph) and weather in general (rain). Also worried about the 4.2.14 (haven't flown the upgrade). Wondering if taking the spark is worth it.

There are so many out there who's Spark can't fly more than 500m out (including mine) I wonder if there is a generally faulty batch of Sparks out there and that's why.

They advertise it with 2000m video feed capabilites.

Sometimes I have total black outs even 60m away, and this was in a rice field in Ubud Bali on the least busy 5.8Ghz channel.

Otg .14

There are so many out there who's Spark can't fly more than 500m out (including mine) I wonder if there is a generally faulty batch of Sparks out there and that's why.

They advertise it with 2000m video feed capabilites.

Sometimes I have total black outs even 60m away, and this was in a rice field in Ubud Bali on the least busy 5.8Ghz channel.

Otg .14
In reality though, this is what's been stated on the DJI website (Spark – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads), under 'Remote Controller' section of this page. Look under 'Max Transmission Distance', where it states:
  • 2.412 - 2.462 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
    • FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.3 mi (500 m)
  • 5.745 - 5.825 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
    • FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.18 mi (300 m)
So, if you are in a CE country (eg European countries), the MAX range (free of interference) is between 300 or 500m. The 2000m range being advertised is in FCC (eg. US) mode.

I too, bought my Spark thinking that it will fly 2000m. But in hindsight, I bought mine from a general electronic store, so the sales assistant won't know much in details and simply state the max range. I personally didn't know about CE or FCC mode until I bought the Spark (too late).

Could I had returned it? Probably. As I said, it was too late, I'm attached to the Spark too much now.

Regards.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast