Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic mini poor quality

It was designed specifically to achieve low weight. Yes I prefer the Spark build quality and yes the Spark deals well with wind but I can assure you that MM is a very clever piece of kit. That said Sparky will always be in my squadron - massive emotional attachment to it (even though its an inanimate object). I think I am getting senile !

That lite weight is too much of a compromise for me here in the U.S. . I hear it has a good camera, but so does the spark. The Spark is super robust and that was one of the reasons I decided that I might like something besides my Phantom. In this world of flimsy, fall apart junk..words fail me..the Spark is Unique to say the least. I think I share the same feelings for it that everyone else has.

I hv both the Mini and Sparky. Just purchased the 2 Pro . Pro not much flight hours yet . The Mini is good in some areas like tight spots and long flight hours hrs. The Spark of course is more stable in windy and open areas but less flight time. So it all depends on your choice of flight areas and environment.

The Spark is actually smaller in the air than the Mini, checking specs a while ago on both DJI specs pages for these aircraft.
Folded of course the Mini is smaller.

Besides Mini wind issues being so light, there is a bad uncommanded descent problem, brought on by the rear props deforming in storage most likely.
Over on MavicPilots there are a huge string of them, losses on land crashes or into water, and DJI look at logs and replace clear incidents that have this happen, even without an aircraft 'body'.

The Mini was made with one thing in mind . . . to allow travel and flight easier in countries with the sub 250g rule for drones.

With changes to some World airspaces, even the Mini sub 250g status is probably going to be a moot point in the coming year or three, and some countries bring in or lean towards having any drone with a camera requiring registration and / or licensing.

Spark seems to be so much more 'solid' in wind and every other way vs the Mini.
I shot 3 videos on Sunday coming home from Melbourne to Adelaide, the first 2 were in quite strong winds, but it handled the flights reasonably well considering.

edit typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Rendlesham UAP
Yes agree the Mini with slight wind returns a warning ' high wind not able to return home . Return to home manually ' at times I ignore or drop altitude . For Spark stable but than when you get the feel of flying its time to return. That's what at times gets you irritated . Hope someone can come up a way to lengthen the flight time. Its one of the reasons I decided to but the 2Pro longer flight time

Since I have a Mini I hardly use the Spark. This is due to the low weight. Long fly time, but especially the better video quality. My first choice however is my mavic 2 zoom.

I too have both Spark and Mini (also a Parrot Anafi....I do not recommend because Parrot support SUCKS!)

I have more fun with the Mini because it is completely under the radar. I don’t have to worry about $1000. fines for flying in my back yard, which happens to be 100’ inside a no fly zone.

Let’s face it...most flying that is undertaken by hobbyists (certainly living in urban areas) is breaking the law. IF your drone is under 250g. (Mini), there’s a lot better chance you’re gonna get away with bending the rules...staying under the radar.

Im about to get an M2P....so will definitely get on the motorcycle and go fly in Class G airspace...until I get my advanced license that is...and can pick up SFOC permissions as necessary.

Let’s face it...most flying that is undertaken by hobbyists (certainly living in urban areas) is breaking the law. IF your drone is under 250g. (Mini), there’s a lot better chance you’re gonna get away with bending the rules...staying under the radar.

Hi @David2Spark . . . you are aware the Mini sub 250g only allows a pilot to get around licence and registration needs in most countries with advanced airspace regulations ?
You still have to follow all other airspace regulators drone rules, for airspace restrictions, altitude limits, VLOS, etc etc.

Or are you saying that the mini is that little bit quieter that a pilot can 'get away with it' ?
The Spark is actually smaller in dimension than the mini when the mini is unfolded for flight, so that is a moot point for size advantage and flying discreetly.

Yes....all good. I haven’t done anything with the mini that could get me in trouble...BUT if I were flying the Spark...maybe not so much. Anyway read my earlier (now) post...that fills in some details

Reactions: SPark_South_Oz
I'm very happy with my Spark. The flight time is ok for most missions. I just wonder if we'll be able to find batteries when we need replacements. Surely some 3rd party vendor will start producing them. Hope so.

I'm very happy with my Spark. The flight time is ok for most missions. I just wonder if we'll be able to find batteries when we need replacements. Surely some 3rd party vendor will start producing them. Hope so.
I believe you are right, China will not want to miss that boat, I can buy a chinese aftermarket made battery for a 10 year old discontinued sony laptop, still, today, so like you, hope they will gear up and produce them!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast