Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Maximum vertical speed

SpeedCore

Join
Oct 2, 2017
Loc
Austria
I went to a lake last weekend and wanted to take a vertical shot from above, so I ascended to 160m and took some pictures. I started to descend at around 20% battery level but the Spark wouldn’t go faster than ~0.7m/s so I had a hard time landing before the battery would die. It landed safely in my hand with 0% battery but I almost got a heart attack. I tried to switch to sport mode to get it down more quickly but that didn‘t help. Any ideas?

I went to a lake last weekend and wanted to take a vertical shot from above, so I ascended to 160m and took some pictures. I started to descend at around 20% battery level but the Spark wouldn’t go faster than ~0.7m/s so I had a hard time landing before the battery would die. It landed safely in my hand with 0% battery but I almost got a heart attack. I tried to switch to sport mode to get it down more quickly but that didn‘t help. Any ideas?
I thought exceeding 150m height in Austria was strictly against the law and incurs a €22,000 fine or imprisonment?
Additionally, starting to descend from high altitude when only indicated 20% battery remaining is just asking for trouble.
Anyone should be safe on deck at 3.4v per cell or if you want to use the daft and inaccurate percentage gauge - you should be landed at 20%

It seems like my Spark decends faster in Sport mode. This seems like a great idea for a video, timing out how long and how much battery it takes to descend from various heights.

Additionally, starting to descend from high altitude when only indicated 20% battery remaining is just asking for trouble. Anyone should be safe on deck at 3.4v per cell or if you want to use the daft and inaccurate percentage gauge - you should be landed at 20%
Actually, I was descending from 153m so I guess that's within the tolerance. Maybe I underestimated the battery runtime, but I thought 20% would be enough as for 3m/s I would be landed in less than a minute. With 0.7m/s it took me almost 4min to land. It was a bit windy so maybe the wind slowed down the descend as well. Lesson learned!

It seems like my Spark decends faster in Sport mode.
Not for me, unfortunately... Does sport mode work in the "forced landing" mode? In the Go4 app it said "landing" and I couldn't abort it to land manually in sport mode.

I think once the Spark goes into a forced RTH, it keeps its speed low to preserve power. I know my xPlusOne does the same thing. Once it's gone into an automated RTH, the speed is reduced dramatically.

Reactions: SpeedCore
It does go that slow that when it meets clouds or fog on the way down.
Because it thinks it can land on it.

It does go that slow that when it meets clouds or fog on the way down.
Because it thinks it can land on it.
It was a bright, clear day so clouds weren't an issue. Maybe it's because of what "RedneckMechanic" mentioned before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar