Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Microsoft ICE - Image Composite Editor - FIXED!!

nilanjan118

Join
Oct 31, 2018
I am sure many are using this software to stitch their pano shots. So I need some help.
I have found that this software works for 360 degree panorama i.e. stitching 46 shots together.
However, I haven't been able to use it for a horizontal 9 shots panorama. The software simply fails to organise the images in correct order and align them.
Haven't tried with vertical pano or 180 degree pano yet but I would like to know if there is any particular setting for each kind of pano to get it to work.

You can try the DJI Media Maker but the 3 selections are 180° pano, 360° and hyperlapse.
But the 360° is not recognized by FaceBook and the 180° failed to stitch properly.
But results may vary.

You can try the DJI Media Maker but the 3 selections are 180° pano, 360° and hyperlapse.
Thank you for your suggestion. I was not looking for an alternate solution though. I tried Photoshop and it works for me. However I had seen so many people vouching for ICE that I felt that it was a complete solution for any kind of panorama taken with the Spark.

Thank you for your suggestion. I was not looking for an alternate solution though. I tried Photoshop and it works for me. However I had seen so many people vouching for ICE that I felt that it was a complete solution for any kind of panorama taken with the Spark.

I see,

I have only heard them vouch for the 360° and 180°
Haven't heard anything on the 9 horizontal or the 3 vertical

Reactions: nilanjan118
Only one way to find out, right?
Try a few more
You are right. I haven't tried a 180° or 360° pano with Photoshop. ICE itself takes quite a bit of time for a 360° and so I have never tried to use Photoshop on my non supercomputer for it. But I did manage to stitch 15 images taken in sequence with Photoshop and it was with me flying completely manually and not any preset Pano mode. So ya, I need to check how it works with the 46 pic Pano before taking the final call.

haven't been able to use it for a horizontal 9 shots panorama
I've used ICE all the time for all of the DJI Go 4 panoramas ... No problems...Stitching errors can come from parallax or wind or moving clouds relative to the horizon . Check your CPU processing power (cpu-z)
Be sure your scene has distinguishing features that can be recognized by ICE
Example

Capture-pano9a.JPG
Capture-pano9b.JPG
Capture-pano9-cpu-z.JPG

I've used ICE all the time for all of the DJI Go 4 panoramas ... No problems...Stitching errors can come from parallax or wind or moving clouds relative to the horizon . Check your CPU processing power (cpu-z)
Be sure your scene has distinguishing features that can be recognized by ICE
Example

View attachment 9674
View attachment 9675
View attachment 9676

Thanks for the reply mate. I could make it work for me eventually. Think I should edit the title of the thread now.

Last edited:
Hi Nilanjan,
I've also consistently used ICE for Horizontal, Vertical, and 180 deg Panos from the Spark, and have had no issues. The whole process is quite fast in my experience, and I can't complain, even tho my laptop is a 6 years old Asus.
I haven't tried Sphere in ICE so can't comment on that.

Cheers,
Ranjit

Hi Nilanjan,
I've also consistently used ICE for Horizontal, Vertical, and 180 deg Panos from the Spark, and have had no issues. The whole process is quite fast in my experience, and I can't complain, even tho my laptop is a 6 years old Asus.
I haven't tried Sphere in ICE so can't comment on that.

Cheers,
Ranjit

Hi Ranjit, thanks for your reply. I have been able to make it work finally. In fact I have even tried ICE with manual panos (panning across a scene with yaw/roll and adjusting the gimbal degree manually) and that works perfectly too. The Sphere can be created too but you need an additional step of creating the 2:1 aspect ratio with a software like Photoshop so that you get the interactive 360 degree experience.

Reactions: Rwarrior
The DJI app fills the sky for a 2:1 ratio, ICE doesn't. Having said that PTGui apparently creates FB spheres without filling the sky and without a 2:1 ratio...not sure how!

Last edited:
I have confirmed several times that ICE cannot create "Facebook ready" spheres.
So why is it a Spark and a Mavic Air natively creates a sphere with meta editing only but ICE needs post photoshop?

It is not just metadata editing. As webvan mentions above, if you look at the flattened 360 deg image created by the DJI app, you will find that it has creates portion of the sky to get the 2:1 aspect ratio as well. And people don't mind taking the extra effort with ICE and Photoshop as they get a much higher image resolution by that process.

The DJI app fills the sky for a 2:1 ratio, ICE doesn't. Having said that PTGui apparently creates FB spheres without filling the sky and without a 2:1 ratio...not sure how!

Ok so using EXIF Pilot and the trial version of PTGui I figured it out. What PTGui does is use the "cropped" width/height fields in the "Photosphere" section of the EXIF and Facebook knows how to interpret them properly. It's too bad other viewers (like Ricoh Theta or the Oculus GO) don't do that. It would save having to fill the sky to get a 2:1 ratio.

Using EXIF Pilot you can easily modify the "Photosphere" section of ICE produced spheres to get the same result as PTGui.

If your equirectangular (2x1 aspect ratio) image is from a correctly unwrapped sphere projection of the merged images you can use this site to add the metadata

Reactions: basily

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav