Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Missing info when using OTG cable

Ricardo BR

Join
Dec 19, 2017
Hi folks, I tried to connect RC to my Samsung S7 with an OTG cable Connnection went ok but: no battery status appears; only 2.4g is available (no 5.8g option appears). Is there any setting I have to follow?
Or is it just better not using an OTG at all?
Is there any real benefit in using OTG or just forget trying?
Tks

Is there any setting I have to follow?
No. Some things just don't work when using an OTG cable.

Is there any real benefit in using OTG or just forget trying?
The only benefit is possibly better range. A lot of people say the range is the same between OTG and Wi-Fi.

No. Some things just don't work when using an OTG cable.

The only benefit is possibly better range. A lot of people say the range is the same between OTG and Wi-Fi.

Tks msinger.
So I think it is better using wifi only.
And I tend to believe there is no range increase as well, since it is RCtoAC made trhough the antenas and not via RCtoPhone Wifi network.
Agree?

I'm not entirely sure what causes the reduced range. I'm assuming the Wi-Fi signal causes interference.

Disabling Bluetooth and connecting to the remote controller via W-Fi seems to work just fine for most people.

Reactions: Ricardo BR
Go back to the 4.1.15apk and you can have all the back. Same happened to me with the current 4.1.18

Install that and turn off automatic updatea in play store so it doesn't roll you ahead

I've gone 8200ft with otg cable. WiFi, 4000ft then cutout

Can anyone explain why this is? If the controller is talking to the phone via wifi, how would the drone's distance make a difference when both items (phone and controller) are always right next to each other?

Reactions: Junebug
Can anyone explain why this is? If the controller is talking to the phone via wifi, how would the drone's distance make a difference when both items (phone and controller) are always right next to each other?

That is what I think as well. Would there be any reason to?

Go back to the 4.1.15apk and you can have all the back. Same happened to me with the current 4.1.18

Thanks Droggy. Do you know if the new firmware revised this aspect?
I wrote to DJI, they answered that I should always use wifi instead of OTG. I have heard that their answer was expected to be like that always.

I've read so many posts about downgrading. I never asked but what do you lose feature wise when you downgrade?
If you downgrade from 4.1.18,this is what I found that you'll lose.
Spark:
- Improved Pano shooting
- Optimized firmware updating by
combining aircraft and remote controller firmware downloads.
Editor:
- Added an
AutoEdit button to the Playback menu, allowing users to quickly create and
share short videos.
- Added Auto
PinPoint mode, which recognizes the best parts of shots you select and puts
them into an editing project.
General:
- Added the Knowledge Quiz for users in the US.

If you downgrade from 4.1.18,this is what I found that you'll lose.
Spark:
- Improved Pano shooting
- Optimized firmware updating by
combining aircraft and remote controller firmware downloads.
Editor:
- Added an
AutoEdit button to the Playback menu, allowing users to quickly create and
share short videos.
- Added Auto
PinPoint mode, which recognizes the best parts of shots you select and puts
them into an editing project.
General:
- Added the Knowledge Quiz for users in the US.
Ok so nothing major. Nothing flight related major change. Not including pano shooting.

Ok so nothing major. Nothing flight related major change. Not including pano shooting.
I don't know (just haven't looked) to see if there were any other updates between 4.1 15 and 4.1.18. So something else might be available. I use a Note 8 but have the option to also use my old iPhone 6+ with the updated software. Be sure you back up any videos/photos first but it's very easy to switch back and forth between versions if you do want to try out the pano feature, etc.

I don't know (just haven't looked) to see if there were any other updates between 4.1 15 and 4.1.18. So something else might be available. I use a Note 8 but have the option to also use my old iPhone 6+ with the updated software. Be sure you back up any videos/photos first but it's very easy to switch back and forth between versions if you do want to try out the pano feature, etc.
I just don't want to lose my telemetry when using an OTG cable. Without compromising anything else. I hate flying my spark without knowing how high I'm at what distance I'm at etc.

Reactions: burrzoo
I just don't want to lose my telemetry when using an OTG cable. Without compromising anything else. I hate flying my spark without knowing how high I'm at what distance I'm at etc.
I totally agree! OTG works well but at least we have options right now and can sync with new features and not use OTG then go back to 4.1.15 for OTG.
No matter what, this little Spark is a ton of fun!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar