Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My Depth Perception Sucks!

SoccerRef12

Join
Jul 5, 2019
Loc
Lampasas, Texas
I was using the Spark to create a video of some of the old historic storefronts in our little Texas town. They had put up the city Christmas lights, there were power lines, trees and building behind me that limited how far back, high, low, etc. I could video. I chose a parking spot right next to my truck to take off from, ascended to about 10 feet, moved forward under the string of Christmas lights, moved up to about 15 feet to get good perspective of the storefronts across the street. As I was moving the Spark sideways to get to the end of the block to start filming I clipped the top of the tree that I 'thought' I would easily clear. The Spark fell into the upper branches and shut off. It was about 15 feet up in the top branches, I pulled my truck underneath and turned on my emergency flashers. I climbed up on my truck tool box, then on top of the truck cab. As I was reaching thru the branches to grab it, it fell hitting the top of the truck cab, slides off the side and dropped another 8 feet, as I watched in horror. It turned right side up and miraculously landed on the four pads on the bottom. I turned everything off, went home and inspected it for damage. All looked good so I took off and it seems undamaged. Whew!

Above is a practice video before the crash flight. I know it got a little choppy when I tried to rotate the Spark towards the end.

Last edited:
Very lucky no damage was done. Keep an eye on performance to make sure no underlying issues were caused. But those little things are more resilient that you'd expect, that's for sure!

While reading your of your encounter I was glad to read that it was the Spark that fell from the tree and not you off the top of the trucks cab. Happy that neither of you ere injured. Time for another take.

While reading your of your encounter I was glad to read that it was the Spark that fell from the tree and not you off the top of the trucks cab. Happy that neither of you ere injured. Time for another take.
Well in July I was on a step ladder putting an awning on a car port frame. One of the laws of physics states that when your center of weight extends out beyond the outside leg of the ladder...fell 8 feet, landed on my back and broke two ribs (ouch!). But thanks. Glad it was the Spark falling this time and not me.

Last edited:
Well in July I was on a step ladder putting an awning on a car port frame. One of the laws of physics states that when your center of weight extends out beyond the outside leg of the ladder...fell 8 feet, landed on my back and broke two ribs (ouch!). But thanks. Glad it was the Spark falling this time and not me.

I've found that most people over 65 (myself included) are allergic to ladders.

I was using the Spark to create a video of some of the old historic storefronts in our little Texas town. They had put up the city Christmas lights, there were power lines, trees and building behind me that limited how far back, high, low, etc. I could video. I chose a parking spot right next to my truck to take off from, ascended to about 10 feet, moved forward under the string of Christmas lights, moved up to about 15 feet to get good perspective of the storefronts across the street. As I was moving the Spark sideways to get to the end of the block to start filming I clipped the top of the tree that I 'thought' I would easily clear. The Spark fell into the upper branches and shut off. It was about 15 feet up in the top branches, I pulled my truck underneath and turned on my emergency flashers. I climbed up on my truck tool box, then on top of the truck cab. As I was reaching thru the branches to grab it, it fell hitting the top of the truck cab, slides off the side and dropped another 8 feet, as I watched in horror. It turned right side up and miraculously landed on the four pads on the bottom. I turned everything off, went home and inspected it for damage. All looked good so I took off and it seems undamaged. Whew!
My third flight, after getting my Spark, I lost GPS and it flew into a tree about 25 feet in the air. It fell through the branches to the ground. Only damage was two mangled propellers. Pretty tough little unit.

Glad it worked out for you. My depth perception makes flying much more difficult as well. It keeps me moving around while I'm flying to get better angles on the craft.

I've found that most people over 65 (myself included) are allergic to ladders.
After having both knees replaced I was talking to my surgeon about things I should and should not do. At the time I was still working and my job involved some climbing. I mentioned non-job related instances such as cleaning leaves out of the rain gutters. He said, "I'll give you my thoughts on ladders...stay off them. It's easier and far cheaper to hire someone else to do it". I agree with him in principle, but I don't command his income level, so we gotta do what we gotta do. Still, I always try to manage the risks of things that can bring about a life-changing experience.

First of all I too was worried that it was you who crashed down. You can always buy a new Spark but not a new body-well maybe the odd part but not the lot. My Spark was lost in a tree 25meters up last Summer and as I am the age you can see and my wife thought it would be nice to have me around for a few more years, she insisted on a cherry picker at £125 for 2 hours. 2 hours later (in the correct tree by the way) no Spark visible. Long story short it took a tree surgeon to find it 2 weeks later. Phew.

Glad you and your Spark are ok.

I was out flying a couple weeks ago videoing looking down over a bridge and trees and saw my Spark cut off a little branch at the top of a tree because i was not high enough.

Glad you and your Spark are ok.

I was out flying a couple weeks ago videoing looking down over a bridge and trees and saw my Spark cut off a little branch at the top of a tree because i was not high enough.
Did your pulse get a jolt on that one Brian? :) Was thinking, maybe with the right blades Sparky could make for a very interesting and fun to use hedge trimmer! Sorry Sparky, just kiddin'.

Did your pulse get a jolt on that one Brian? :) Was thinking, maybe with the right blades Sparky could make for a very interesting and fun to use hedge trimmer! Sorry Sparky, just kiddin'.
Caught me off guard just a little. It took place so quick that I heard the trimming and saw the stick fly before I realized what happened.

8 feet from the top of the truck! That must be a monster truck. Sparks are nearly indestructible. I'm more cautious with my Mavic Pro. I don't think those long folding arms will fare nearly as well in a fall.

8 feet from the top of the truck! That must be a monster truck. Sparks are nearly indestructible. I'm more cautious with my Mavic Pro. I don't think those long folding arms will fare nearly as well in a fall.
Not a monster truck. I'm standing on top of the cab, but by pulling down branches was able to reach it, but it fell before I could get my hands on it.

Reactions: I B Spectre

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe